IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 AWD Very Loose No Traction!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 11:50 PM
Paulf1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 AWD Very Loose No Traction!

So I'm getting off the Highway on a ramp I've taken hundreds of times in the past. It's 50-55F the surface is wet but not raining its a 30MPH exit I'm doing 40 and the rear end gets loose and I could feel the front starting to slide as well.
I've taken this exit hundreds of times before in my MB S600, Porsche 911, even my Tundra DC 4WD at much higher speeds in the same conditions and always felt planted.
Is this more of tire issue or just the nature of the car? Very disconcerting.
Old 10-31-15, 11:57 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say tires because pretty much all reviewers stated that the tires on the IS are just terrible. Just buy a good set of tires once the stock tires are used up.
Old 11-01-15, 12:07 AM
Paulf1
Rookie

I guess I need to do some research on these OEM tires. Not happy with wet traction at all!
Old 11-01-15, 09:07 AM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

OEM tires have ****ty wet road performance, changed mine in 2 months of ownership. I cant stand them given that i own a RWD
Old 11-01-15, 09:36 AM
Suspenders
Driver School Candidate

Interesting info. I didn't know. Maybe I'll replace the tires on my 350 soon and get some performance tires hehe. Just picked one up yesterday. New to Lexus. Came from a 2007 335xi.
Old 11-01-15, 09:38 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OEM tires are not that bad (touring summer tires were on my car). Pretty low road noise, comfortable, and decent handling characteristics for DD (I'm also in Ohio). However, I think the AWD cars were equipped with different tires from the factory. You can't expect high performance grip from these types of tires (all-season, touring, run-flats, etc.) nor can you compare to a Porsche! A superior vehicle in many aspects.

Assuming you DD you car in four seasons, you'll have to compromise somewhere. Either utilize two sets of wheels or accept the lower performance all-season tires. MPSS, Hankook V12, etc. are good options if you can afford multiple sets of wheels.
Old 11-01-15, 10:57 AM
Lex2133
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible there was on oil slick on that road?
Old 11-01-15, 01:47 PM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2133
Is it possible there was on oil slick on that road?
I agree with this. There had to be oil or something on the road. Especially with the front getting loose.
Old 11-01-15, 05:27 PM
Paulf1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
The OEM tires are not that bad (touring summer tires were on my car). Pretty low road noise, comfortable, and decent handling characteristics for DD (I'm also in Ohio). However, I think the AWD cars were equipped with different tires from the factory. You can't expect high performance grip from these types of tires (all-season, touring, run-flats, etc.) nor can you compare to a Porsche! A superior vehicle in many aspects.

Assuming you DD you car in four seasons, you'll have to compromise somewhere. Either utilize two sets of wheels or accept the lower performance all-season tires. MPSS, Hankook V12, etc. are good options if you can afford multiple sets of wheels.
Always ran all season tires on all my cars or trucks never bought a summer only high performance tire, usually ran Michelin Pilot Sport AS.
The Porsche was very tail happy but that was the nature of the rear engine. This was very surprising and unexpected. I will have to drive a little more to rule out that there wasn't anything slick on that particular off ramp. If not I will buy me some AS Pilot Sports and save the stock tires for lease end turn in.
Old 11-01-15, 06:01 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my IS350 for 2 years, only lost traction once when I was going too fast and started to hydroplane. Sadly, AWD does not grant one the ability to defy the laws of physics. :P
Old 11-01-15, 07:03 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like someone said maybe it was oil slick but I do agree the OEM tires that come with the IS are pretty bad in wet conditions. I have a IS350 AWD with the OEM turanzas and it rains alot in Washington state. First thing I noticed was how terrible the traction is with these tires once its wet. I am considering to get them replaced to a better all season tire.
Old 11-01-15, 07:25 PM
Paulf1
Rookie

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Had my IS350 for 2 years, only lost traction once when I was going too fast and started to hydroplane. Sadly, AWD does not grant one the ability to defy the laws of physics. :P
As I stated earlier this is a ramp I use often and my MB S600 (rear wheel drive) never lost traction even going faster under the same conditions neither did my Tundra or my Porsche. This has nothing to do with AWD and I'm pretty sure everything to do with the OEM Turanza EL400 tires.
After doing some research seems these tires are crap especially in the wet.

Review from Tirerack......

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=AWD
Old 11-01-15, 07:34 PM
Paulf1
Rookie

Originally Posted by BostonIS
Like someone said maybe it was oil slick but I do agree the OEM tires that come with the IS are pretty bad in wet conditions. I have a IS350 AWD with the OEM turanzas and it rains alot in Washington state. First thing I noticed was how terrible the traction is with these tires once its wet. I am considering to get them replaced to a better all season tire.
This is my plan as well. These BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S seem to fit the bill nicely especially at $600 a set.

Or these Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

Old 11-02-15, 03:53 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or learn to drive the car within its limits in varying conditions.....stock turanzas are fine in the wet unless ur driving like a hooligan.
Old 11-02-15, 06:49 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
Or learn to drive the car within its limits in varying conditions.....stock turanzas are fine in the wet unless ur driving like a hooligan.
you don't have to drive like a hooligan to loose traction with ****ty tires.

Quick Reply: IS 350 AWD Very Loose No Traction!