IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealership damaged car for second time during service

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 06:15 AM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership damaged car for second time during service

Hi all...I created a thread a few months back after taking in my car for 5k service and to have the OEM rear lip spoiler installed. The dealership botched the installation and left me with scratches/gouges, improperly drilled/burred mounting holes, and a poorly aligned spoiler on a repainted trunk lid that did not match the original paint. After realizing how bad the install job was, the dealership ended up giving me a brand new trunk-lid and I was happy.

Fast forward to Wednesday...I dropped off my car in the morning to have the 10k service performed and a set of tires from TireRack installed on my OEM 18" F-Sport wheels. I go to pick up the car yesterday and notice that ALL FOUR wheels were scratched and gouged from the tire swap. Sample pic of damage below. I had a service advisor place a note on my paperwork that they acknowledge damaging all four wheels.

Edit: The wheels are also not balanced correctly to put icing on the cake. After ~60mph, the steering wheel vibrates. Ridiculous. The car wasn't even road tested when I looked at my dash camera footage.

I'm waiting for the service advisor to call me, but is it unreasonable to ask for a set of brand new wheels? I don't trust their ability to basically sand, prep, and re-finish all wheels and have them look like new. Or if they decide to only refinish portions of the wheel, to have it blend in seamlessly given their previous poor work.

If anyone has dealt with such a scenario before at a dealership, I would appreciate you chiming in with your experiences.

Last edited by plastus; 10-30-15 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-30-15, 06:34 AM
altezzza
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They for sure didn't even balance your tires after putting them on if your steering shakes over 60... -_-
Old 10-30-15, 07:35 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't feel that it is unreasonable to ask for a new set of rims. They could swap 'em for a set that's on one of their loaners (do dealerships even have F-Sport loaners?). That being said, I'd be afraid to let them touch my rims after seeing this.
Old 10-30-15, 07:58 AM
JP30
Driver School Candidate

Yikes, I would ask for a new set of rims, no question. Would you mind mentioning which dealership in NJ this is? I haven't gone in for my 5k service yet and hoping its not my dealer
Old 10-30-15, 08:22 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Good luck getting a new rim from that scratches. Dealer can repair this no problem. I had much bigger and longer rim rash was able to repair it.
Old 10-30-15, 08:29 AM
plastus
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
Good luck getting a new rim from that scratches. Dealer can repair this no problem. I had much bigger and longer rim rash was able to repair it.
Given my past experience and their promises of getting a perfect paint match on the trunk lid, I simply don't trust them; especially given the unique color on the wheels. Since the damage is on random spokes and not just on the outside edge, they're basically going to have to sand and paint the entire face of the wheel (x4). I know they'll never look the same as OEM finish and worse, it won't be OEM paint.

Originally Posted by JP30
Yikes, I would ask for a new set of rims, no question. Would you mind mentioning which dealership in NJ this is? I haven't gone in for my 5k service yet and hoping its not my dealer
I'm waiting for hear back from the service department and giving them a chance to get this resolved, so I'll hold off on putting their name up here for now.
Old 10-30-15, 08:54 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The quality of work/service you are receiving is completely unacceptable and not what I would expect from a dealer let alone a Lexus dealer! I would stand firm on your request to get all four rims replaced and maybe even request that they provide you with the new rims and you take them elsewhere to get your tires swapped. I would then find a new dealer to get my car serviced.
Old 10-30-15, 09:01 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is unacceptable for a dealership to do that to your rims. I would definitely ask for them to fix it although I think replacing them can be a stretch since they can probably just refinish them. But I would ask for them to replace them and if they don't want to do that then I'd settle for them to refinish your rims.
Old 10-30-15, 09:07 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by plastus
Given my past experience and their promises of getting a perfect paint match on the trunk lid, I simply don't trust them; especially given the unique color on the wheels. Since the damage is on random spokes and not just on the outside edge, they're basically going to have to sand and paint the entire face of the wheel (x4). I know they'll never look the same as OEM finish and worse, it won't be OEM paint.
In your photos I see damages on the edge of the rim. They are easily repairable, if the repair guy is good they can match the paint you won't be able to tell. Trust me I've had my previous IS with F-sport rims they were even a bit darker color I couldn't tell it was repaired.

Are you talking about those brown spots near the valve?
Old 10-30-15, 09:29 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question for the OP, why are you keep on coming back to this dealership for services? I would take my business elsewhere.
Old 10-30-15, 09:35 AM
plastus
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
In your photos I see damages on the edge of the rim. They are easily repairable, if the repair guy is good they can match the paint you won't be able to tell. Trust me I've had my previous IS with F-sport rims they were even a bit darker color I couldn't tell it was repaired.

Are you talking about those brown spots near the valve?
On the rear rims, there are gouges in the spokes near the center. Looked like they were put on some sort of hard surface during the install process and it scratched that area as well. I know silver wheels are pretty easy to color match, but there are several threads of others that had poor results with wheels matching after a repaint especially with the F-Sport glossy dark graphite.

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Question for the OP, why are you keep on coming back to this dealership for services? I would take my business elsewhere.
I've only been there once before and I was satisfied with the resolution after the trunk lid was damaged. Mistakes happen with drilling sometimes so I chalked it up to bad luck. I'm definitely never going back there again...that's for sure. It seems to be a systematic problem with no road testing of cars or even the least bit of quality checks before releasing a car to the customer. Problem is, the other close dealer to me I didn't want to visit to begin with because of a very poor experience during the purchase process. Long story short, they sold me a car that was already claimed by another dealership despite assuring me that it was up for grabs and would be mine.
Old 10-30-15, 10:18 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be wild and demand a new set of wheels. I would also like to know who is doing this shotty work. Unacceptable anywhere more less a Lexus dealership.
Old 10-30-15, 01:01 PM
plastus
Rookie

Well, pretty much the whole day has passed and despite multiple phone calls and voicemails, no one from the dealership has called me to follow-up on the matter. Of course, yesterday evening they promised that my service advisor would call me first thing in the morning. Shockingly bad customer service.
Old 10-30-15, 01:43 PM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Do not handle this by phone and don't deal with any calls. You may not even get a call back. I would be livid.

Go down there in person as soon as they open and ask to talk to the owner or manager in charge. Explain your situation, show them the written acknowledgment they are at fault, and don't leave unless you receive a solution that is acceptable to you--in writing! And, ask when your wheels will get fixed.

After the way they've treated you and your car, I would totally out their name and on Yelp.
Old 10-30-15, 04:32 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You'd think that by taking the car to the dealer to get the tires replaced would be safe to avoid substandard work like this...looks like an amateur was working on it. Sorry to hear and make sure they have a road force balancer to get the balancing spot on. I've had work done at corner shops that turned out like this too..you can always complain to corporate and I personally would speak with the "tech" and let him know....

Quick Reply: Dealership damaged car for second time during service