IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Issues Found w/2015 IS 350 AWD F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 06:49 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues Found w/2015 IS 350 AWD F-Sport

I have owned my new vehicle now for a month and I've noticed a couple of weird issues, one of which is bothering me quite a bit.

First, the gas pedal has these very small almost unnoticeable vibrations in the pedal such that if I've been driving for 10-15 minutes on the highway with my foot on the pedal throughout that time, it starts to get these prickly sensations, almost like when someone hits their funny bone in their elbow but a little less than that. I know this sounds ridiculous but even my wife noticed it. It's as if the vibrations of the engine resonate throughout the footwell in the car. Anyone else noticing anything resembling this? After a while, my foot gets so agitated I don't feel like pressing down on the gas pedal any more.

Second, anyone get the odd whistling noise from their heater vents depending on what speed the vent is on?

Third, a weird plastic vibration coming somewhere near the centre console. The best way I can describe this sound is as if there's a speaker that's vibrating because it can't handle the volume coming through the speaker. I know it's not the speakers though, sounds like it's coming from the centre console area somewhere but I just can't seem to isolate the sound.

Lastly, anyone know why the screen I've selected on the navigation screen will change randomly to another screen? For example, I may choose to browse the music on my media player where the screen displays all my songs. After a few seconds, the screen changes to something else - why??

Again, I realize that some of these are nit picking, but the first one with the gas pedal is extremely annoying to the point where it's making it not fun to drive.

Thanks
Old 11-02-14, 07:27 AM
Loe
Pole Position

The third issue can be found in a thread on the same page. Apparently, that plastic squeak noise is coming from the transmission lock cover. The last issue is something I hate as well, and I hope a software update will fix it.
Old 11-02-14, 07:43 AM
Thetalk
Driver School Candidate

I've got a 2015 is 350 f sport rwd and haven't experienced any of those problems, thankfully. Only 1500 miles on it though so far.

I've driven the car for more than 3 hours at a time on a couple occasions however and happy to report no accelerator vibration.
Old 11-02-14, 07:43 AM
myonoshane
Driver School Candidate

The last problem may be resolved by changing the settings in the nav screen. I forgot exactly how to get there but the option is called something along the lines of "screen auto-change". Turn it off if you dont want the screen to automatically change to navigation.
Old 11-02-14, 07:53 AM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by Jagstyles
First, the gas pedal has these very small almost unnoticeable vibrations in the pedal such that if I've been driving for 10-15 minutes on the highway with my foot on the pedal throughout that time, it starts to get these prickly sensations, almost like when someone hits their funny bone in their elbow but a little less than that.
If you are having these kind of sensations in your feet you should probably get checked for diabetes. Okay, sorry, I couldn't resist and I will give you a serious answer. The F-Sport package adds aluminum pedals. Aluminum had a tendency to pick up and transmit vibrations. I do a little recrational road biking and my bike has an aluminum frame. It will never rust but it does pick up A LOT of vibration from the road. Some riders are very sensitive to this and won't own a bike with an aluminum frame. I have a feeling you may be experiencing something similar from your aluminum pedal. You may want to see if it's possible to switch the pedal to the standard version found in the non F-Sport car. For safety reasons I would not suggest you put anything over the pedal to try and dampen the vibration but to get the pedal changed.
Old 11-02-14, 10:32 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

LOL! I knew I would get a funny remark here and there after posting this, but I do feel it quite a bit and thought to myself, how do I explain it without people thinking I'm completely off the rocker lol

Thanks for the suggestion, this actually makes sense and its something I think worth looking into.

Originally Posted by IS1911
If you are having these kind of sensations in your feet you should probably get checked for diabetes. Okay, sorry, I couldn't resist and I will give you a serious answer. The F-Sport package adds aluminum pedals. Aluminum had a tendency to pick up and transmit vibrations. I do a little recrational road biking and my bike has an aluminum frame. It will never rust but it does pick up A LOT of vibration from the road. Some riders are very sensitive to this and won't own a bike with an aluminum frame. I have a feeling you may be experiencing something similar from your aluminum pedal. You may want to see if it's possible to switch the pedal to the standard version found in the non F-Sport car. For safety reasons I would not suggest you put anything over the pedal to try and dampen the vibration but to get the pedal changed.
Old 11-02-14, 10:35 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Awesome, will check this out next time I get in the car. Thanks!

Originally Posted by myonoshane
The last problem may be resolved by changing the settings in the nav screen. I forgot exactly how to get there but the option is called something along the lines of "screen auto-change". Turn it off if you dont want the screen to automatically change to navigation.
Old 12-09-14, 10:23 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagstyles
Second, anyone get the odd whistling noise from their heater vents depending on what speed the vent is on?
I too noticed this. I have to shut off the music to hear it and it's fairly quiet. I noticed it occurs at fan speed 3 (but not always the other way around). I suspect this is because the climate control actually has more fan speeds than the 5 the LCD displays. If I shut off the climate control or reduce the fan speed manually to 2, it addresses the high-pitch whistle.
Old 12-09-14, 10:32 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS1911
I don't want to make the OP more confused However, here is my experience. I have a non F-Sport IS and from day 1, I have switched to the F-Sport aluminum brake and gas pedals. Yet, I do not experience any vibrations issues at all. To OP : I suspect this is something to do with the condition of the gas pedal assembly. There is a lever that clicks/hooks to the back of the pedal and there are two very deep screws that bolt the gas pedal assembly to the ground. Check to see if there is any free play in the gas pedals. Hope it helps.

Last edited by AndyL; 02-03-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 06:09 AM
yycdave
Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
I too noticed this. I have to shut off the music to hear it and it's fairly quiet. I noticed it occurs at fan speed 3 (but not always the other way around). I suspect this is because the climate control actually has more fan speeds than the 5 the LCD displays. If I shut off the climate control or reduce the fan speed manually to 2, it addresses the high-pitch whistle.
I've noticed the exact same thing...it really annoys me to be honest but I know if I bring it in there's nothing they'd do.

I notice all three of us are from Canada...maybe it has to do with the cold weather package?