IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 iPod Error

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 03:46 PM
vlas2014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Way to Reproduce it

I have exactly the same issue and it happens to me with my iPhone 6 and 5, I found a way to reproduce the issue immediately, the only thing that you need to do to make it fail (“Ipod Error”) is while you are playing a song change the phone to airplane mode, the phone must be connected using the lightning cable, it is not required that the phone is paired with Bluetooth
It looks like if the phone change of network state(4G-LTE-No service) it triggers the “ipod error", it does not happen with other devices that I have like my stereo receiver so I assume it is an unhandled event in car stereo system software that triggers this issue
Old 11-11-14, 07:07 AM
Kukie
Driver School Candidate

I have exactly the same issue and it happens to me with my new iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1. I took the car to dealership yesterday and confirmed this is a software issue to this generation of audio/nav system. I have the latest software installed in my car so I'm hoping Lexus will fix this issue with a software patch in the future.

Like the previous post, that trigger this 'iPod Error' is change of cell phone's network state. We can force this error by toggle the "Air Plane" and "WiFi" mode while playing audio via the car's iPod interface.

One workaround I found to avoid this 'iPod Error' condition is to simply turn off "WiFi" when I'm in the car and playing audio via the car's iPod interface. There is no need to have the phone's WiFi enabled while drive, but do need to remember to turn it back on when getting out of the car.
Old 11-11-14, 03:26 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've noticed if you play bluetooth from your iPhone while not plugged into the USB it works fine.

Plug it into the USB it gets iPod errors on bluetooth & also the USB audio connection.
Old 11-12-14, 06:59 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I believe its due to the notification setting on your iphone or ipod. I noticed that when ever i get messages, emails, or even calls, i would receive an ipod error message on my navi. Once it happens I immediately change (move up and down) the volume, the music would play again.
It might work if you uncheck your notifications on your phone.
Old 11-21-14, 05:48 PM
Raffy75
Driver School Candidate

Default ipod error 2014 is350 f sport

hi guys, i do have same problem and i went to the dealer and installed a new stereo system and it still doing it and they lend me a lexus suv and it didnt do any ipod error... been in the dealership twice and they said they will look into it. please help... thank you.
Old 03-17-15, 02:25 PM
Osme02
Driver School Candidate

Same thing with my 2015 GS350. Anyone have a fix?
Old 04-02-15, 04:04 PM
MikeLocke
Driver School Candidate

Just got my 2015 ES 350, having the same issue. I play all my music through Spotify. It works perfectly via bluetooth. But the issue comes in when I need to charge my phone and I connect it using USB. Basically, what's happening is that its defaulting to the Dock Connector (which is iTunes) so there seems to be some technical confusion between the Bluetooth connection and the USB connection. The only way to solve this is to turn off "Bluetooth" from your phone whenever you connect using USB. Then make sure from the Media selection that you choose USB (your iPhone). This will allow you to play Spotify or other apps without the Bluetooth connection error/confusion.

Last edited by MikeLocke; 04-02-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 02:31 AM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Default I pod error message

Originally Posted by JayOhh
What's up guys, I just bought a 2014 IS250 F Sport last week and anytime I plug in my iPhone 5s (running iOS 7.0.6) using the USB I get "iPod Error" It'll play a few songs then I'll have to manually reconnect after I get the error, other times it doesn't play at all just a series of "iPod error" until i restart my phone.. Everything works fine on bluetooth audio but that kills my battery on long drives, anyone else experiencing this problem, or have a fix? Much appreciated.
Please upgrade your battery immediately. The stock is battery is junk. I had the same problem with my 2014 is 350 fsport . My battery died twice parked in the garage. Lexus offered to tow my car from Tallahassee FL to Jacksonville to replace with the same weak 550 cc battery but I declined. I went to auto zone and upgraded to 750 cold crank amp battery and never had the ipod error again. The mark Levinson stereo sound so much better like a totally different stereo. do yourself a favor and get an upgraded battery. This is not a software issue it's a power supply issue or better yet the lack of it.

Last edited by mosefus; 04-04-15 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 05:58 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ You are saying that upgrading your battery made your system come alive? If that is teh case, that is interesting...
Old 04-04-15, 01:24 PM
livinitup7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that's a new one...a new battery fixed it? Anyone else want to test this theory?
Old 04-04-15, 08:23 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by livinitup7
Well that's a new one...a new battery fixed it? Anyone else want to test this theory?
Please upgrade your battery. Like I said before it's a little over a year now and no issues. I used to get so frustrated with the ipod error I thought something was wrong with my ML sound . The dealer in Tampa could not figure it out. I happened to talk to a mechanic friend of mine who suggested that I upgrade the battery. He said the IS is loaded with so much electronics that it actually needs more than the stock 550 CCA. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier I work nights and sleep day time.

Last edited by mosefus; 04-04-15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 08:51 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mosefus
Please upgrade your battery. Like I said before it's a little over a year now and no issues. I used to get so frustrated with the ipod error I thought something was wrong with my ML sound . The dealer in Tampa could not figure it out. I happened to talk to a mechanic friend of mine who suggested that I upgrade the battery. He said the IS is loaded with so much electronics that actually need more than the stock 550 CCA. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier I work nights and sleep day time.
Seriously I'm not usually the kind that post comments on blogs. I actually enjoy just reading posted comments. But I purposely joined club lexus to share my experience. I have a10 year old ipod that I thought was the issue. I even bought a 160 gb ipod classic but same issue. Then I ended up buying ipod touch. It worked the first 15 minutes before the error message appeared. By now I seriously start to think my ML was a lemon. I came from 11 Acura tsx with the ELS sound which I thought was better than the ML. The ML sounded a little hollow and not very rich like the ELS. But after upgrading from 550 CCA to 750 CCA the ML is definitely a league above the ELS. I've actually forgotten about the the issue till I came across this thread.

Last edited by mosefus; 04-04-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 09:10 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@mosefus. You realize CCA means cold cranking amp? once the car start, power is supplied through the alternator, not the battery. Battery is only used to power accessories when the engine is off and to "crank" the starter motor to start the engine.
Old 04-04-15, 09:32 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

I'm not a technician but my mechanic buddy told me a higher CCA with high reserve capacity powers on board accessories more efficiently. Secondly my stock battery died twice luckily parked in my garage. I had similar experience with tsx battery but it was replaced under warranty . All I can say is I've Never had that issue again. Even my wife was able to tell the the difference in the audio quality once I upgraded the battery.
Old 04-04-15, 09:53 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

By the way I did a quick research and found out the battery actually powers onboard computersoftware and accessories but also creates the Powe to start the car. The alternator powers and/or recharges the battery when the car is in motion. the alternator runs of the crankshaft of the engine via a serpentine belt . It converts the kinetic energy from upward and downward of pistons to electrical energy via magnetic coils to power the battery which in turn powers onboard accessories and computers When engine off. Either way the battery provides DIRECT (DC) current to the systems .

Last edited by mosefus; 04-05-15 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS250 iPod Error