IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Made the trade to a 2014 IS 250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 04:57 PM
PARANOiA2M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made the trade to a 2014 IS 250 AWD

Been browsing these forums for a while and finally decided to join the club.

I decided to make the switch to a 2014 IS 250 AWD, traded from a 2013 CT200h. Its been a bad winter for the CT in Boston--wasn't able to make it up the street I live on a few times trying to get to work, not to mention sliding down it a few times (living on a hill).

I've had the IS for about a month now and I have to say it is a huge difference. I miss the gas savings, but having the extra power in and around the city has been fantastic--not to mention a bit more space in the back for passengers. In my circle of friends, the CT was prohibited from getting us around due to lack of space and lack of power with multiple occupants (hard to disagree). I'm also making it around in snow with no issues whatsoever.

Great community in these forums. I don't plan on doing any major modifications to the car, but so far I have switched out all the interior bulbs to white LEDs (including the footwells and front doors), as well as installing turn signal LEDs on the back of the car--which I think makes a huge difference as far as looks go, considering how modern the back of the car is designed.

Will contribute pics soon--car needs a wash already before that happens!
Old 03-03-14, 05:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats and welcome!
Old 03-03-14, 05:29 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome. Great car.
Old 03-03-14, 05:38 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Welcome!

Let the mods begin!!!
Old 03-03-14, 06:13 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARANOiA2M
Been browsing these forums for a while and finally decided to join the club. I decided to make the switch to a 2014 IS 250 AWD, traded from a 2013 CT200h. Its been a bad winter for the CT in Boston--wasn't able to make it up the street I live on a few times trying to get to work, not to mention sliding down it a few times (living on a hill). I've had the IS for about a month now and I have to say it is a huge difference. I miss the gas savings, but having the extra power in and around the city has been fantastic--not to mention a bit more space in the back for passengers. In my circle of friends, the CT was prohibited from getting us around due to lack of space and lack of power with multiple occupants (hard to disagree). I'm also making it around in snow with no issues whatsoever. Great community in these forums. I don't plan on doing any major modifications to the car, but so far I have switched out all the interior bulbs to white LEDs (including the footwells and front doors), as well as installing turn signal LEDs on the back of the car--which I think makes a huge difference as far as looks go, considering how modern the back of the car is designed. Will contribute pics soon--car needs a wash already before that happens!

Finally another boston guy here !! Congrats on the car !! What color did u go with ? My wife wants to get the ct200 2014 but trying to tell her it's too small , so she listened and we still looking around :-)
Old 03-03-14, 06:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats on the new IS. I made the same switch from the CT and although I miss the 60%+ savings in fuel costs, I love the power, handling, and traction of the IS. Enjoy!
Old 03-03-14, 06:51 PM
PARANOiA2M
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kwik8276
Finally another boston guy here !! Congrats on the car !! What color did u go with ? My wife wants to get the ct200 2014 but trying to tell her it's too small , so she listened and we still looking around :-)
Thanks! I went with an Obsidian exterior and a Parchment/Brown Wood interior (I didn't think I would get Parchment, but when I saw it in person I realized I enjoyed the contrast between the inside and the outside). Got a Navi equipped model, non-F Sport. Thankfully no Navi issues.

The CT is definitely small. Two normal-sized adults are very close to touching shoulder to shoulder in both the front and back seats. It's comfortable (as I expect all Lexus vehicles to be), but cramped enough that longer car rides with adult passengers are not great. The stock tires on the CT are also junk in snow. I could have went with all season tires, but with a lack of options in the car itself like a snow mode or even the ability to turn traction control off made me think twice. I had also gotten stuck in a freak squall this winter season while driving the CT--made it half way up a hill to a traffic light before getting stuck and couldn't get up the rest of it. Had to reverse down it and go a different way around, forcing 2 cars in back of me to reverse (embarrassing).

Great warm weather car but tough to deal with in the colder, snowier months.
Old 03-03-14, 07:08 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARANOiA2M
Thanks! I went with an Obsidian exterior and a Parchment/Brown Wood interior (I didn't think I would get Parchment, but when I saw it in person I realized I enjoyed the contrast between the inside and the outside). Got a Navi equipped model, non-F Sport. Thankfully no Navi issues. The CT is definitely small. Two normal-sized adults are very close to touching shoulder to shoulder in both the front and back seats. It's comfortable (as I expect all Lexus vehicles to be), but cramped enough that longer car rides with adult passengers are not great. The stock tires on the CT are also junk in snow. I could have went with all season tires, but with a lack of options in the car itself like a snow mode or even the ability to turn traction control off made me think twice. I had also gotten stuck in a freak squall this winter season while driving the CT--made it half way up a hill to a traffic light before getting stuck and couldn't get up the rest of it. Had to reverse down it and go a different way around, forcing 2 cars in back of me to reverse (embarrassing). Great warm weather car but tough to deal with in the colder, snowier months.

That sucks !! Glad I talked her out of it !! But yeah if u can , take some pics !! I'm sure ur dying to show it off ;-) enjoy it !! It's fun :-)