IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Got Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 07:43 PM
beeRandon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Got Rear Ended

Sadly, I'm a pretty young guy (18) to be having this kind of car for my first car.
But, I got this car January 5th, 2014. I drive this car every day, I've so far had this car a month and 5 days. I have over 2100 miles already.
But I thought this day would never come, for a long time at least. This happened 2 days ago. (February 8th, 2014)

Here's how it happened, I was cruising with all my buddies Saturday night just having a good time, we do this almost every Saturday and meet up with other cars and have a good time.

I usually go there to watch other people race on the loop, or i'll film with my canon to get clips for a future video, and well towards the end of the night right when I was about to go home.

This girl in her dads truck was beside me and I got on the gas a bit to get over her and had enough room to get in about half a car length, and I heard her get on the gas and all of a sudden my back driver side shook and got a bit sideways but I corrected it to save me and my buddies from wrecking into the car beside me, so I pull over on the side get the insurance and stuff out and she later calls her dad to come up here, about 30 mins go by her dad shows up and goes PSYCHO on me like it was all my fault.
This is about 12:20 AM, had to wait until about 12:45 for the cop to show up and get a report, I tell my side of the story, and well I guess he didn't buy it or she either lied telling the story, not sure. But now IM at fault for "Unsafe lane change" and wouldn't buy my story, and now I have to pay for my repairs + her dads truck which could have easily been buffed out, literally no damage was taken, except for mine.

Sorry for the story, just thought I'd let you know what happened. Photos will be provided. :/
Btw, the damage may not look bad, but there's a decent sized dent near the bumper (not on it) so that will have to be taken out, have to get my whole rear bumper replaced, and a new left tail light.

Thanks for viewing!
Attached Thumbnails My 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Got Rear Ended-img_7061-1-.jpg   My 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Got Rear Ended-img_7059-1-.jpg  
Old 02-10-14, 08:20 PM
nayuta
Driver

Wow that really sucks. If you really feel that you are unsafely penalized for this accident, you might want to talk to some legal counsel.
Old 02-10-14, 08:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Talk to a lawyer, man. Take them to court. Don't let them get away with this. She rear ended you and it was her fault. It is always the person who rear ended as the one who is at fault. Sure people can quickly change lanes as people do it all the time. That is no reason to rear end someone.
Old 02-10-14, 08:44 PM
beeRandon
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Talk to a lawyer, man. Take them to court. Don't let them get away with this. She rear ended you and it was her fault. It is always the person who rear ended as the one who is at fault. Sure people can quickly change lanes as people do it all the time. That is no reason to rear end someone.
I will man, thank you for the advice! I will be doing that after i'm off of school tomorrow!
Old 02-10-14, 08:48 PM
beeRandon
Rookie

Originally Posted by nayuta
Wow that really sucks. If you really feel that you are unsafely penalized for this accident, you might want to talk to some legal counsel.
I will be tomorrow after school, thank you for the advice!
Old 02-10-14, 09:32 PM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From looking at the pic, it does not look like you got rear ended. Looks like you got struck on the back corner of the bumper and towards the side. Just my 2 cent. Anyways good that no one got hurt.
Old 02-10-14, 09:36 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh Man, really sorry to hear this happened to your car! The damage doesn't look too bad and hopefully your insurance will cover it.
Few questions, where did this happen? On the highway? How many lanes? Which lane were you on? I think you might be in a real bad situation given the information you provided! You said you got on the gas to get over her and move in with a half car lenght? Sorry to say this but this is not enough room for you to move in (i think this is why the police fault you for "unsafe lane change" Or he thinks you cut her off). Also, she hit you on the drive side? This meant you were on the right side lane (you can't pass someone one the right).
For future incident, sometime the less you said the better (i.e. never admit anything). Also, do not talk or exchange insurance(or tell them what kind of coverages you have). Wait for the police and let them sort things out.
Hope everything work out.
Old 02-10-14, 10:28 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

might be hard to win that.
if all the damage was directly middle of rear bumper then obviously you have a case and she is entirely at fault no questions even asked,
but all damage on one corner of your car it is obvious someone was switching lanes when the cars collided.
Good luck.
Old 02-11-14, 04:40 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be a tough one to win, 1/2 car length of room is not much room to merge into, even if she speeded up to close up the distance on you, she could lie about that and where the damage is on your car it looks you were cutting her off. Good luck with your case.
Forgot to mention 18 years old and have a Lexus already, good to be you.

Originally Posted by beeRandon
Sadly, I'm a pretty young guy (18) to be having this kind of car for my first car.
But, I got this car January 5th, 2014. I drive this car every day, I've so far had this car a month and 5 days. I have over 2100 miles already.
But I thought this day would never come, for a long time at least. This happened 2 days ago. (February 8th, 2014)

Here's how it happened, I was cruising with all my buddies Saturday night just having a good time, we do this almost every Saturday and meet up with other cars and have a good time.

I usually go there to watch other people race on the loop, or i'll film with my canon to get clips for a future video, and well towards the end of the night right when I was about to go home.

This girl in her dads truck was beside me and I got on the gas a bit to get over her and had enough room to get in about half a car length, and I heard her get on the gas and all of a sudden my back driver side shook and got a bit sideways but I corrected it to save me and my buddies from wrecking into the car beside me, so I pull over on the side get the insurance and stuff out and she later calls her dad to come up here, about 30 mins go by her dad shows up and goes PSYCHO on me like it was all my fault.
This is about 12:20 AM, had to wait until about 12:45 for the cop to show up and get a report, I tell my side of the story, and well I guess he didn't buy it or she either lied telling the story, not sure. But now IM at fault for "Unsafe lane change" and wouldn't buy my story, and now I have to pay for my repairs + her dads truck which could have easily been buffed out, literally no damage was taken, except for mine.

Sorry for the story, just thought I'd let you know what happened. Photos will be provided. :/
Btw, the damage may not look bad, but there's a decent sized dent near the bumper (not on it) so that will have to be taken out, have to get my whole rear bumper replaced, and a new left tail light.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by toyotatom; 02-11-14 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-11-14, 07:30 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree. If damage was just to the rear bumper, then it would be her fault. But since damage was more to the side and you were changing into her lane, then it looks like your fault. My friend got into a similar accident. An old lady changed into his lane and hit the side of the car. She said 'oh you probably didn't see me'. Umm, shouldn't you be watching where you are going lady? Anyways police said it was her fault. Good puck with repairs. Really nice car for a first car.
Old 02-11-14, 09:01 AM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prepare yourself for the headaches... Legal action against the other party is probably the best thing to do.
Old 02-11-14, 09:07 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I hate to say it, but like almost everyone that commented above stated, this is definitely not a "rear end" collision. It's quite easy to tell (based on the damage of your vehicle) that this was done while changing lanes. Also, 1/2 a car length is definitely not a enough room for a "safe" lane change (especially if traveling with some speed).

Hopefully this is lesson learned that aggresive driving isn't the smartest of ideas. I know how it can be when you have a friend (or friends) along for a ride, but you still don't want to put others on the road in harms way. The good part is the damage isn't extremely bad.

I think fighting this via blood sucking lawyers would simply be a waste of money, time, and other resources. Best of luck sir.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 02-11-14, 09:11 AM
2014IS250
Rookie

This is where a dash cam would come in handy! Sorry bro!
Old 02-11-14, 10:25 AM
Geespec
Driver School Candidate

I agree with some of the previous comments on this thread; it sounds like you are technically at fault. I'm sorry for what happened to your car, but honestly it could have been much worse if you were not able to correct the oversteer or if it happened at a different stretch of road. Just be thankful that nobody got hurt and let the insurance companies figure out the property damage. No need to waste money on attorneys assuming your initial post is accurate.

Also, the police report should also have statements from your friends that will most likely further support your original post. So again, I would just take this as a lesson well learned. Best of luck to you and please drive safely!

Last edited by Geespec; 02-11-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-11-14, 11:04 AM
beeRandon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Geespec
I agree with some of the previous comments on this thread; it sounds like you are technically at fault. I'm sorry for what happened to your car, but honestly it could have been much worse if you were not able to correct the oversteer or if it happened at a different stretch of road. Just be thankful that nobody got hurt and let the insurance companies figure out the property damage. No need to waste money on attorneys assuming your initial post is accurate. Also, the police report should also have statements from your friends that will most likely further support your original post. So again, I would just take this as a lesson well learned. Best of luck to you and please drive safely!
Thank you man, I'll be taking care of it. Im not too worried about it. I'll probably use my savings that I've saved to pay for it. Not a big deal, but yeah. Glad everyone is okay too!

Quick Reply: My 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Got Rear Ended