IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Warranty Issues with mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 12:53 PM
tcoff09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Issues with mods?

Hey guys, I've had my 350 FSport AWD for about 5 months now and I have some money saved for mods. I don't want to go too crazy with this car, for now intake, exhaust, wheels and tires and I'm considering a drop but haven't looked into that too much since I'm still figuring away to deal with my damn curbed driveway. Anyway, Will an intake void any warranty?? I know plenty of people have them but am not sure what if they just said, "screw it!" or what haha. Didn't see a thread on it, sorry if i missed it and thanks for any input!
Old 01-09-15, 01:22 PM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no reason why an intake or exhaust change should void any part of your warranty.
Old 01-09-15, 07:02 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Voids warranty for that component. Possibly like mass air flow sensor. It would void wartanty for exhaust since its aftermarket. If you lower voids warranty on springs amd struts all othef warrantys still good
Old 01-09-15, 09:33 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all comes down to the dealership and in the case of major repairs the regional rep. Keep in mind there are many crappy intakes out there that do not keep the exact same MAF housing diameter and most will change the resonance pulse. This can affect overall engine tuning making the car run less optimally. Some audi dealerships were voiding powertrain warranties when I had one even on people with just catbacks citing that the advertising for the catback even stated there was increased horsepower and torque from it thereby deviating from OEM specs. On the other hand, many dealerships are more willing to overlook more non invasive mods.

In summary, you may be fine, you may not be fine. Even if the dealership says they are "cool" with the mods doesnt mean the regional rep won't come in and say no way. You never know. If you want 100% you bring the car in to the dealership stock.

And don't let people start saying you will be saved by the magnuson moss warranty act. It really has no application to performance parts that run outside OEM-type replacement part specs.

Mike
Old 01-11-15, 06:35 AM
3ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a dealer to void your warranty they must prove that the mod/part caused the issue/damage you have, if any, and believe me, they will try and blame it on your mods. If you are concerned with this, you can either leave it stock or replace your aftermarket parts with the stock ones if you ever have to go to the dealer.

Not sure how it is for you, but for someone like me who has oil/filter changes for 5 yrs included and visits the dealer every 5 months, i much rather leave it stock for now
Old 01-12-15, 05:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you honestly have to ask "will it void my warranty", then don't bother modding. When one mods, you have to be willing to throw warranties out the windows. Unless you're like many on here that believe that throwing lights onto your car is considered a mod.... smh

Magnusson-Moss Act protects your car mods. In the event that something goes bad on your car, the dealership has to PROVE that the mod caused the issue. So if you're ECU fries, they can't say that your coil overs caused it. Having a good dealership or bad dealership doesn't change anything. Now some dealers will be dicks and will stand hard against on mods, and in that case, you tell them to go (#*%#$ themselves and go find a dealer who is in alignment and aware with Federal Law.