IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cold weather car washes and issue with Climate

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 12:20 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Cold weather car washes and issue with Climate

hey guys, so I live in NY and im sure you guys know about this polar vortex pretty much blanking a majority of the country. My 3IS is looking pretty dirty from all this snow and I want to get this salt off too. My concern is if its to cold to go and get it hand washed? Im afraid ill end up getting scratches or something. Any fellow 3IS owners live near New Hyde park, NY? any recommendations on a really good hand wash place?

Also one thing ive noticed lately with the car is ill have the air set to circulate in the cabin, (the button where it shows the arrow in the car) and then when I turn it on itll have the air coming from outside. I wont notice it until I get people fumes coming in the car and its pretty annoying. Ill shut the car off with the air set to circulate on the inside and when I start it the car it automatically switches to bringing in outside air. Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe how to stop it from happening? any responses are greatly appreciated guy

and any fellow 3IS owners living near long island ever wanna gang up and hit a car wash together that would be pretty cool haha saw a bunch of beamers to it the other day
Old 01-08-14, 12:40 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the time, i'd say to go get your car detailed. Have the detailer do an opticoat for you, it will cost, but it will protect.
Old 01-08-14, 05:16 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

ok thanks ill look into it. anyone have anything on the climate control issue?
Old 01-08-14, 06:00 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by shivad87
ok thanks ill look into it. anyone have anything on the climate control issue?
I haven't experienced mine switching to letting outside air come in. And I always have cabin air circulating within and the vents from the outside closed. Maybe it has something to do with which mode you have it on?
Old 01-08-14, 07:44 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just set the climate control to Auto unless you need to activate the defroster. On Monday, the wind chill was -30, and I didn't notice any problems with the climate control using the Auto setting.

Temperatures in Indiana were above freezing today, so after work a trip to the manual car wash was effective in removing the coating of salt. I keep a good coat of TechWax 2.0 and spray wax on the car which facilitates removal of most road film.

New York should be above freezing by the weekend. Due to the lower outside temperatures that would result in ice covering the driveway and a desire to keep salt removed from the car from damaging the driveway surface, frequent trips to the manual wash bay during the winter months has kept my cars looking like new. I would never take a car through an automatic car wash. The risk of damage is just too great. In the manual bay, the amount of soap used can be controlled, and I can concentrate on spraying the wheels and under carriage. Also, most of the time the wash is followed by spray wax in my heated garage.

I would also recommend purchasing the Lexus factory rubber floor mats. WeatherTech is now manufacturing custom floor mats for the 3G IS...they provide better coverage than the Lexus mats. However, the black mats from Lexus are high quality and look nice in the car.
Old 01-08-14, 07:55 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

Hey, I'm located over in Huntington. Best investment i made since i got this car was getting it opti-coated. There is definitely a cost involved which can vary depending on the condition of your paint but it makes cleaning off all the dirt and salt really easy.

Shoot me a private message and i'll send you over all the info i got when i was researching all the detailers on long island, i believe most of them also do basic car washes too if you just want that.
Old 01-09-14, 10:35 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

great, thanks a lot for all the responses guys.so I finally gave in and took my car to this handwash place near where I live. trust me I did tons of research and asked a million of my friends where they go to get their car washes. They place did a great job, and the best part is EVERYONE and I mean everyone including the workers and managers other customers were checking out my 3IS. its a good feeling =)

Last edited by CobraGSF; 01-09-14 at 10:49 PM.