IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Jerky Downshifts + other issues on my new is350. Please Advise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 08:49 PM
Slashael
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky Downshifts + other issues on my new is350. Please Advise!

Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I just got a brand new 2014 lexus is350 awd fsport and the downshifting has been very jerky and It's really bugging me. And i don't mean when i downshift myself with paddles or manual mode. I' mean the car in normal downshifting itself with me just applying the brake. The downshift from 4th gear to 3rd especially is bad. It seems as if the car lets the revs get to low in 4th before shifting to third and it cause the shift to be clunky. Same idea/feeling as dropping the clutch in a manual car. Any one else having this issue?

I like most things about this car so far. but i must say i am not impressed with the transmission at all.

Two other issues I have if someone could address are:

1- Engine almost sounds like a tractor when idle. very loud in a bad way

2- When the car is still cold and i come to a complete stop in drive with my foot on the brake, the engine revs up to a little over 1000 rpm by itself and everything from he shifter to under the centre console begins to vibrate.

Any help with these issues would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-10-13, 09:20 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I also have a 350 AWD sorry to hear about your problems. ive noticed the vibrating when the engine is still warming up as well. ill be at a light have my foot on the brake and I my foot is vibrating. don't really feel in in the centre console though. My own fix for this was that I put it in neutral and that solves the issue until the car warms up fully. don't know what causes it. hope this helps a little. in terms of the downshifting in drive mode, I do feel the car pull back a little while It downshifts itself but nothing crazy
Old 12-10-13, 09:26 PM
abcsoup
Driver

The engine, when it's very cold, definitely sounds a bit diesel-ly when idling. It doesn't really bother me though, since once it gets going, it's plenty smooth.

I haven't noticed the transmission being jerky though nor the center console vibrating, but I might not be that sensitive to that sort of thing. It could be worse for you since you're up in the freezing north!
Old 12-11-13, 04:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

A Direct Injection engine will sound close to a diesel when cold and idle, same with other brands.

The 6-speed on the 350 AWD is the same as the 250 AWD and in my 250 AWD, it's very smooth. When the car is cold, the upshifts are a little "crisp" but not clunky or jerky. On rare occassions, when coming to a stop, the automatic downshift is felt and I can describe it is "clunky" but again not harsh or penetrating the cabin in any major way to think it's a problem. Overall, very smooth up and downshifts both in manual and auto modes.

In your case slashael, if your shifting harshness is fairly consistent and repeatable regardless of temperature, get it checked out at the freebie 1600 km service.
Old 12-13-13, 01:00 PM
KumaF
Driver

I picked up my car today and I drove it for some 15 km before getting home. Didn't feel any jerky shifts as the transmission is so smooth. But I can confirm the little vibration you mentioned when I was bringing the car out of garage hours later, but I only felt it through steering wheel. I think the vibration is just a result of DI engine, cold car in cold weather, and engine and transmission are still breaking in. I am not too concern about it since 2IS have had this characteristic, and with carried over engine and transmission I think this is just normal and doesn't mean there is something wrong with the car.
Old 12-13-13, 03:46 PM
iPinky
Driver

I haven't noted any jerky downshifting in my RWD 350 F-Sport. In fact, this was one of the pleasant things I noticed comparing to my previous 2IS. That was uber annoying, so I can understand your frustration. As for the sound during idle/warm-up, mine is quiet as a mouse. No loud engine sound or vibration felt. Granted, I only have about 500 miles on my odo.
Old 12-13-13, 04:14 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slashael
Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I just got a brand new 2014 lexus is350 awd fsport and the downshifting has been very jerky and It's really bugging me. And i don't mean when i downshift myself with paddles or manual mode. I' mean the car in normal downshifting itself with me just applying the brake. The downshift from 4th gear to 3rd especially is bad. It seems as if the car lets the revs get to low in 4th before shifting to third and it cause the shift to be clunky. Same idea/feeling as dropping the clutch in a manual car. Any one else having this issue?

I like most things about this car so far. but i must say i am not impressed with the transmission at all.

Two other issues I have if someone could address are:

1- Engine almost sounds like a tractor when idle. very loud in a bad way

2- When the car is still cold and i come to a complete stop in drive with my foot on the brake, the engine revs up to a little over 1000 rpm by itself and everything from he shifter to under the centre console begins to vibrate.

Any help with these issues would be great. Thanks!
See the dealer. I've never been a fan of automatics, but this one impressed me with its smoothness.
Old 12-13-13, 04:32 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I would see the dealer. I also find the up and downshifting to be very smooth, whether in auto or manual mode
Old 12-14-13, 09:30 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iPinky
I haven't noted any jerky downshifting in my RWD 350 F-Sport. In fact, this was one of the pleasant things I noticed comparing to my previous 2IS. That was uber annoying, so I can understand your frustration. As for the sound during idle/warm-up, mine is quiet as a mouse. No loud engine sound or vibration felt. Granted, I only have about 500 miles on my odo.
I think the noise is more noticeable when starting it in real cold weather, with all due respect. To us folks on the east coast, a cold start is about 45 degrees or so and lower. Cold starts to Floridians, Texans, and Californians are probably considered at 60-70 degrees
But yeah, in an actual cold start, you'll hear the thing. What’s odd is I feel like Toyo/Lex's V6 blocks create a louder diesel like noise more so than other V6s.
Old 12-14-13, 10:02 PM
jnjmatts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
I think the noise is more noticeable when starting it in real cold weather, with all due respect. To us folks on the east coast, a cold start is about 45 degrees or so and lower. Cold starts to Floridians, Texans, and Californians are probably considered at 60-70 degrees But yeah, in an actual cold start, you'll hear the thing. What’s odd is I feel like Toyo/Lex's V6 blocks create a louder diesel like noise more so than other V6s.
And to some of us Canadians cold starts are -30 degrees C (-22F). Had many of those this winter already and no jerky shifts or loud noises.
Old 12-14-13, 10:15 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jnjmatts
And to some of us Canadians cold starts are -30 degrees C (-22F). Had many of those this winter already and no jerky shifts or loud noises.
I forgot about our northern neighbors lol.. .you win with cold starts for sure.. no, actually you guys have artic starts hehe.
Old 12-15-13, 02:14 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
I think the noise is more noticeable when starting it in real cold weather, with all due respect. To us folks on the east coast, a cold start is about 45 degrees or so and lower. Cold starts to Floridians, Texans, and Californians are probably considered at 60-70 degrees But yeah, in an actual cold start, you'll hear the thing. What’s odd is I feel like Toyo/Lex's V6 blocks create a louder diesel like noise more so than other V6s.
Lol. Last week, it got down to the high 20s at 6 am. Froze my buns off.

I've experienced the cold start engine noise in my previous 2IS before. The 3IS is silent as a shark creeping up on you, compared to the 2IS.
Old 12-16-13, 06:16 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iPinky
Lol. Last week, it got down to the high 20s at 6 am. Froze my buns off.

I've experienced the cold start engine noise in my previous 2IS before. The 3IS is silent as a shark creeping up on you, compared to the 2IS.
Wow thats pretty low, but then again I'm assuming those temps are around the upper Cali/mountainous areas? Haven't had a chance to visit the nothern neck yet--only be down south, SD. I do plan on visiting the bay area within the next six months so i'll be interesting to see what it'll be like up there.

I could deal with the diesel noise, I only wish the 3IS sounded as good as the GS when it accelerated (at least from the outside).
Old 12-16-13, 12:11 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the 3IS have shifter or still limiter?
Is there downshift revmatch yet?
Old 12-16-13, 05:59 PM
fast350
Driver School Candidate

As far as your downshifts id see a dealer if you already have some miles on it. If its brand new id wait till your first service to give the ect time to learn your driving habbits. The dieseling is very characteristic of these engine in cold start. If the sound goes away when the engine gets warmed up you're ok. Hope this helps and enjoy that 350, mine is a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Jerky Downshifts + other issues on my new is350. Please Advise!