IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 05:42 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like it comes with a tray but no cup holders. So the cup holders are so completely out of the way -- they're not even in the car which is not so utterly convenient. All kidding aside -- my point being that people complaining about the 3IS are not looking at what other manufacturers are doing in the same price bracket. Also, imo the IS dahs is better for the driver -- I can reach all controls without leaning forward or changing my driving position. Funky looking but effective for a driver.
Attached Thumbnails Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?-9790474343_ac2447706d_b.jpg  

Last edited by Glashub; 12-13-13 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-13-13, 06:00 AM
jnjmatts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take the 3is interior over this any day.
Old 12-13-13, 07:11 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
It looks like it comes with a tray but no cup holders. So the cup holders are so completely out of the way -- they're not even in the car which is not so utterly convenient. All kidding aside -- my point being that people complaining about the 3IS are not looking at what other manufacturers are doing in the same price bracket. Also, imo the IS dahs is better for the driver -- I can reach all controls without leaning forward or changing my driving position. Funky looking but effective for a driver.
I like the styling cues of the bimmers in terms of interior design.. low key, eloquent, and not a lot of stuff around. the cup holder is where the tray is.. and the tray is removable.
Its really based on culture. Some time back I read an article about how American car manufacturers focused on cupholders while European manufacturers focus on performance..looking at how the M and AMG shop does their business.. i would have to agree with the article. Like ice, cup holders are a rare, I think the European market and culture just sees itself wanting to be driver-centric and performance oriented.. us folks here in America can only spit out two things.. where are my cup holders in this car and can i get that meal supersized?!
Old 12-13-13, 07:46 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^

Morgan Sperlock and Greg Giraldo both addressed that in different ways. Someday Google "Underwear Goes Inside The Pants." Giraldos scathing assessment of modern America accompanied by Lazyboy. I'd post the video but it's pretty ribald and some might be offended. Below is 2 of the milder verses.

"Americans, let's face it: We've been a spoiled country for a long time.
Do you know what the number one health risk in America is?
Obesity. They say we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic.
An epidemic like it is polio. Like we'll be telling our grand kids about it one day.
The Great Obesity Epidemic of 2004.
"How'd you get through it grandpa?"
"Oh, it was horrible Johnny, there was cheesecake and pork chops everywhere."

Nobody knows why were getting fatter? Look at our lifestyle.
I'll sit at a drive thru.
I'll sit there behind fifteen other cars instead of getting up to make the eight foot walk to the totally empty counter.
Everything is mega meal, super sized. Want biggie fries, super sized, want to go large.
You want to have thirty burgers for a nickel you fat *%$^#@$%^. There's room in the back. Take it!
Want a 55 gallon drum of Coke with that? It's only three more cents."

-- Greg Giraldo
Old 12-13-13, 10:23 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mom has a BMW X5 M edition with all the bells and whistles. It is very nice and sporty but to be honest id take the 3IS interior any day. I'm not a fan of BMWs orange interior lighting and I feel like there dash is literally the same thing in every car. Also, in regards to the cup holders I do NOT like them in the BMW. They are in the same place as the picture posted above. Multiple times I have been driving and when I go to put my drink back in the cup holder I will accidentally hit the shifter forward and it will put the car into neutral. Two times I didn't even realize it happened until I heard a droning noise and hit the gas pedal and nothing happened. It's pretty alarming especially when your on the highway.

The 3IS cup holders may be in an odd position for some, but I would still take the 3IS interior layout over BMW due to little things like I stated above.
Old 12-13-13, 10:35 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^

Good feedback. Thanks!
Old 12-13-13, 11:33 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish they had some sort of tensioning to hold drink with tapered cups from knocking around.

I'm always scared when I hear it bounce around thinking it may spill
Old 12-13-13, 02:50 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by Kwik8276

I'm just teasing ;-) I sent u a pm ;-)
Lol, I know. Apparently, your inbox is full. My pm to you won't send.

Originally Posted by SonyHome

You can get real long straw with few bends in it so you don't even have to reach to get the cup out! I agree cup holder position is some what awkward and many people may not use it. I wish they had a cover of some sort so you could just keep it closed and have cleaner look when not using them.
Or, one of those helmets with the straw attached; one end clipped to the side of the helmet, and the other end in a tumbler tucked in the cup holder.
Old 12-13-13, 03:16 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iPinky
Lol, I know. Apparently, your inbox is full. My pm to you won't send. Or, one of those helmets with the straw attached; one end clipped to the side of the helmet, and the other end in a tumbler tucked in the cup holder.
Hit me up now :-) just made space for you !! Lol
Old 12-13-13, 04:30 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcheng
I wish they had some sort of tensioning to hold drink with tapered cups from knocking around.

I'm always scared when I hear it bounce around thinking it may spill
My Audi A5 had this, it was an unexpected touch that proved very useful.
Old 12-14-13, 03:28 PM
hangandrew
Rookie

Thoughts on cupholder location in IS250 '14? Freaking sucks!!! Fun car overall, just wished they placed the cupholders in a different section. Something like the ES maybe lol. just me though
Old 12-14-13, 08:57 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3IS is a fine car, theres no doubt, so are the engineers who designed, built, tested it, etc. but one thing that bugs the hell out of me about car manufacturers is that at times they don't incorporate the everyday needs of consumers or even logical thoughts.. if a driver wants to use the center console to rest their elbow, why the hell can't his/her passenger as well?
honestly couldn't the designers do something like a 90 deg. angle sliding armrest? like create a separate small padded area over where the cup holders are? Think of an upside down "L" shape, where the passenger can slide the small armrest/cushioned area over and then down to the side of the center console when they want to put in a cup/drink. no cup/drink and want to use the armrest? slide the cushion backup and then over.
BOOM, problem fixed--function and form!
Old 12-15-13, 01:20 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I have a loaner 2014 IS 250 from the dealership I actually have some time using the cup holders.

I guess my view point is different than everyone else's but keep in mind I'm single so it's rare to have a lady friend bring a drink inside the car. Drinking is usually on location of where I'm taking her.

I am ok with the location. I won't say it's great but it is far than my 2IS was. My drinks were ALWAYS in my way because I usually rest my right arm with hand on the shifter ...still not used to paddle shifters. So it really bugged me about the 2IS. So now my only complaint is that they should have made them bigger with those resizeable bumpers inside.

Being the selfish single man that I am I really don't care about my passenger(s) being able to rest their arm the same place I rest mine. In fact it always bugged me when someone took ownership of that location. If they want the right, they can drive. I will tell them to hold on to it or put their drink in the door holder. Better yet, I may not allow drinks in my car. Just like people ask for no shoes in the house, it is completely fair to ask for no food or drink in the car. Smoking is obviously always off limits.

Not defending the car's cupholder design as I realize its faults but it suits my needs for the most part. At least my fat water bottle fits but a bit more diameter would go a long way.

Lack of cubbyhole space is more of a daily annoyance to me than the cupholders.