IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Difference between aftermarket and stock 350 Fsport brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 02:58 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between aftermarket and stock 350 Fsport brakes?

Is there a difference between the stock 350 Fsport brakes (black) and the aftermarket (blue) Fsport brakes (in terms of braking power)? The rotors are x-drilled (not always better) and not sure if they're bigger though

I wish the 350 F sport calipers looked better than just plain black.. at least put on the red or blue ones!!
Old 10-29-13, 03:14 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure my opinion here will be argued, but bigger brakes don't necessarily mean more stopping power. The limit is at your tires. Can the stock F-Sport brakes lock up the tires? Yep (well, if you disable anti-lock, of course). So locking up your brakes any faster isn't going to really help.

However, the bigger brakes are less susceptible to fading over a lot of heavy use (like on the track) because they dissipate heat much better. But you'll never see any real brake fade on the street unless you're driving like an absolute maniac
Old 10-30-13, 11:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
Is there a difference between the stock 350 Fsport brakes (black) and the aftermarket (blue) Fsport brakes (in terms of braking power)? The rotors are x-drilled (not always better) and not sure if they're bigger though

I wish the 350 F sport calipers looked better than just plain black.. at least put on the red or blue ones!!
The F SPORT big brake kit does stop better than stock. It's been tested and measured many years ago. It will even stop shorter than the IS F with the factory Brembo bbk setup.
Old 10-30-13, 11:36 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

ohh yeah? do you happen to have articles with the info? do you know if they are "squeakier" since they are high performance brakes? I had a bit more brake squeal with my endless 4 pot setup on my previous car..

they are beautiful though... they should come standard with the "F SPORT package"!!!

Last edited by alexlude; 10-30-13 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 11:39 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

do they come in red calipers instead of blue?
Old 10-31-13, 04:56 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ohh yeah? do you happen to have articles with the info? do you know if they are "squeakier" since they are high performance brakes? I had a bit more brake squeal with my endless 4 pot setup on my previous car..

they are beautiful though... they should come standard with the "F SPORT package"!!!

Just checking - is this aftermarket?
Old 10-31-13, 05:27 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Lexus brand aftermarket. Not stock, yes.
Old 10-31-13, 06:08 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

do they come in red calipers instead of blue?
I want to know this too, the blue would clash with the red theme of my UW/RR.
Old 10-31-13, 06:32 PM
Fsportlex
Driver

Way to expensive TBH and do you really need this brake set up on our cars? for daily use its a waste of money ......they do look gorgeous tho.....unless your racing the car its a big waste of money IMO
Old 12-06-13, 06:31 AM
mdpiot
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have an idea what the brake upgrade costs for the IS 250/350 aftermarket? I love the look of this, but have no need for the performance benefit.
Old 12-06-13, 06:45 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
I'm sure my opinion here will be argued, but bigger brakes don't necessarily mean more stopping power. The limit is at your tires. Can the stock F-Sport brakes lock up the tires? Yep (well, if you disable anti-lock, of course). So locking up your brakes any faster isn't going to really help.

However, the bigger brakes are less susceptible to fading over a lot of heavy use (like on the track) because they dissipate heat much better. But you'll never see any real brake fade on the street unless you're driving like an absolute maniac
i totally agree with this, it's been proven over and over many times, it has everything to do with the temperature of the tires, the type of road surface your on. if the brakes have enough stopping ability to lock the wheel up, the only benefit to having bigger brakes is it takes less effort from the brake pedal to lock the wheels and it takes longer for the brakes to heat up causing fade.
if your at the track and abuse the brakes hard larger brakes are a benefit.
IMO the factory brakes are already sensitive enough compared to the other vehicles i drive. getting bigger brakes to make the car even more sensitive seems a waste to me.

but i do believe that people buy the big brake kits more for looks and bragging rights. just like lowered suspension and rims too big for the car.

my last car was a 2012 Corvette Z06 it had 14" diameter rotors and 6 piston calipers
initial tests with the factory tire yielded something like 112 feet from 60.
when tested with the r compound tires the same car stopped in 97 feet.

going with the carbon ceramic brakes with 15" rotors does nothing for stopping distance but does prevent premature wear and they can take the heat better.
other than that, there is no real world benefit especially on a street driven car.

now having said that. if the larger brakes could be had with a less dusty pad then the oe pad using ceramic pads i might be interested.