ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/713298-octane-which-gas-do-you-put-in-your-3is-and-why-merged-threads.html)

vbx 10-13-13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by yowps3 (Post 8186102)
Exactly! Only idiots pay so much cash for their nice car and try saving a few bucks by feeding it crap

I think one of the excuse I've heard was they're leasing the car so who cares.

But whats the point of getting the 350 to put cheap gas and get it to run like a 250.

eyeball 10-13-13 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by vbx (Post 8186149)
I think one of the excuse I've heard was they're leasing the car so who cares. But whats the point of getting the 350 to put cheap gas and get it to run like a 250.

That sucks then if u buy a certified pre owned

carderoni 10-14-13 06:57 AM

I don't understand why anybody would skimp on gas for a car like this. If you're that worried about $3 per fill up, you ahouldn't have bought the car in the first place.

LadyDallas 10-14-13 08:37 AM

Premium Only

I will use Premium only after I pick up my IS today. :)

CtSFox 10-14-13 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by eyeball (Post 8186167)
That sucks then if u buy a certified pre owned

One reason why I never will by a car that comes off lease.

enoren 10-14-13 11:33 AM

Wow, people suck. I'm leasing and this is my second Lexus lease. I treat them like they're my cars, not like they're some rental from Enterprise. If the car requires premium fuel, use premium fuel. It's not complicated.

LexFather 10-14-13 12:38 PM

Race Fuel....... :D

sportscar 10-15-13 06:57 PM

I test drove a IS250 non F Sport last weekend. Very comfortable seats and nice quiet ride. The salesman said with the 2014 models, you don't have to use premium gas. From what I am reading on the forum, that is not true. Is he just being a salesman? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

corradoMR2 10-15-13 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sportscar (Post 8189849)
I test drove a IS250 non F Sport last weekend. Very comfortable seats and nice quiet ride. The salesman said with the 2014 models, you don't have to use premium gas. From what I am reading on the forum, that is not true. Is he just being a salesman? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

When you go back to see him, pop the gas tank cover and show him the "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only" label. It doesn't say "Recommended" in which case arguably he would be right. This is across all IS's.

Stitch626 10-15-13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by sportscar (Post 8189849)

I was told the same thing when looking at the 350 non F sport maybe this is something Lexus told it's salesman who knows?

Stitch626 10-15-13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blueprint (Post 8187205)
Race Fuel....... :D

Of course you would lol I'm curious to put it in my car I have a SUNOCO around the corner from my house lol

enoren 10-15-13 08:03 PM

A few years back, Consumer Reports commented on the use of premium and mid-grade fuels. They said it's only worth using premium (or mid-grade) if the manufacturer REQUIRES it. If it's just RECOMMENDED (echoing Corrado), Consumer Reports said to use regular fuel.

Personally, I follow the recommendation of both Lexus and Consumer Reports: 91 Octane or higher in my IS.

liqinwei26 12-17-13 10:35 AM

Premium or regular gas???

I just did my first 5000 miles service at my local dealership, and while I was waiting for my 3is. I had a conversation with another staff. He told me that I can use 87 octane/regular gas on our 3is!!??! I said on the owner's manual it said clearly premium gas only, but he said all of their Lexus vehicles can use regular gases, and it will work fine. He also told me that the reason that Lexus put Premium gas only on the owner's manual it was because Lexus is a premium brand , and they don't want to be cheap. But technically speaking, regular gas is fine with 3is....

I knew for sure that 87 will lose some HPs, but not sure if it will harm the vehicle. ANy one can help me out here, is this really true that we can use 87 on our 3is?:uh::uh::uh::uh:

rominl 12-17-13 10:38 AM

you can, the computer is smart enough to retard the timing if necessary when you put regular, won't harm the vehicle. but for optimal performance, i say premium. it's only tiny difference annually compared to the price of the car

moose66 12-17-13 10:43 AM

rominl is correct. In addition to that, these same engines are used in vehicles in countries where there is no such thing as premium fuel. So guess what they use? You will get arguments from both sides. I've heard it doesn't matter, you'll have a performance lag, etc., etc. Most folks with a Lexus will say, if you can afford a Lexus, you should be able to affort putting the best grade of fuel available. This, as with many things on this forum, you be the judge!