IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 09:33 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure why the rim link didn't work but heres another one.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ted&tab=wheels
Old 02-05-14, 09:59 AM
343P005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having lived in Quebec most of my life, I would say get AWD.

I am in Toronto and got AWD (thankfully the ride height on the 3IS is the same in RWD as AWD unlike previous gen) and am glad I did. Just the security of being on teh highway and being able to move along at a decent speed on snow covered roads is awesome. I love it, no regrets... and I still put on Blizzak LM32 even though it is not mandatory.

it is snowing hard at the molment and am about to go for a ride. There is about 10cm out and they havent cleaned my streets yet

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Hi all.

I'm probably getting an IS350 this spring-summer and a major question I have is which drivetrain to choose. I live in Quebec, which means we get a fair amount of snow and sometimes even freezing rain. As I type this it's -6F outside with windchill, and this past week we've even had -22F...

After driving my wife's 335i with the 8 speed transmission and seeing how low RPM's are on highways, I'm loving the 8-speed transmission, which means I'd be getting the RWD. I also love the faster shifts... and hate that bump near the driver's knee.

But the downside is going to be snow and ice handling. Snow tires are mandatory here in Quebec from october to march, and I plan on fitting WS70's, probably the best handling non-performance winter tires on the market (have them on my car right now and they're fabulous!)

So I would like to get any opinions and inputs on the matter? Anyone here drives a 350 RWD with winter tires in the northern states or Canada? How do the drive aids compensate for the absence of AWD?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-14, 10:27 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

You guys shouldn't be having too many issues on blizzaks. EvilTeo has an IS-F with Blizzaks and he's fine.
Old 02-05-14, 12:01 PM
avex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes. I forgot about the sensors! They're expensive, so I think I'm going to pass on a getting a set of 17" rims for winter. I'll just have to put Blizzaks on the stock 18's.
Old 02-05-14, 12:04 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by avex
Yikes. I forgot about the sensors! They're expensive, so I think I'm going to pass on a getting a set of 17" rims for winter. I'll just have to put Blizzaks on the stock 18's.
Ya its definitely not cheap. I just dont plan on replacing the f sport rims so i didnt want to ruin them from the harsh conditions of winter ie: salt, sand, ect..
Old 02-05-14, 12:05 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Randre19
Ya its definitely not cheap. I just dont plan on replacing the f sport rims so i didnt want to ruin them from the harsh conditions of winter ie: salt, sand, ect..
yeah its bad here that for sure.
Old 02-06-14, 08:31 AM
OMalley
Driver School Candidate

I live in Ohio and I'll be getting a winter wheel/tire package next year. Don't even try to drive in snow with the RWD and summer tires. I couldn't even get out of my driveway with 1 inch of snow on the ground. I've been driving my other car. I bought my F-sport in early December and I've put less than 1000 miles on it since because of all the snow here in Ohio. :/
Old 02-06-14, 08:39 AM
WWM
Rookie

Any kind of heavy snow and you're done with summer tires. I too have been stuck in my (mostly plowed) driveway because there was a tiny hump of packed snow/ice beneath and slightly behind my rear tires. Today I was able to get out of my driveway with a fair amount of soft snow but got stuck on the street because the snow was clumpy and packed. A good set of winter tires solves these problems, even in a RWD car.

I think I'm inclined to buy an AWD car next time, just because it's much more enjoyable to drive in the snow. It's also more fun in the rain during the warmer seasons.
Old 02-06-14, 08:19 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your opinions everyone. This makes my choice easier!
@WWM : how is AWD more fun during rainy weather? Is the RWD that unstable?
Old 02-06-14, 11:31 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

I just took delivery of an IS350 RWD with 18's and it did come through with summer tires. I'm in the Boston area and we do get a few snow days. My 2IS was horrible in snow with all-seasons, so this time I'm thinking of getting a set of Blizzaks. I just have a couple of questions for those of you with experience with winter tires:

(1) Do most of you install the winter tires on the stock 18's, or do you buy a cheap set of 17's (possibly narrower than stock)?

(2) if you use the stock 18's, what size do you get for the rear? The stock 255/35R18's appear to be an odd size. Tire Rack lists nothing in that size for winter tires. Is 255/40R18 an acceptable substitute?
Winter tires are a must with any RWD car - I can't stress the importance of winter tires enough.

I'm running 17's mainly because they're cheaper and I'm running on a narrower 225 width tire which will help with traction. Go with alloys - it's very likely that the steelies won't clear the front brake calipers.

I'm running on Michelin Xi3s and it performs quite well. WIth winter tires, you shouldn't run into any problems but carry a shovel in your car just in case. The problem with our cars is the low clearance. Just avoid dense packed snow and you should be good.
Old 02-07-14, 03:02 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

AWD provides the traction from all four wheels, giving you more confidence for sporty driving in all slick conditions, including rain.
Old 02-07-14, 05:09 AM
343P005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WWM
Any kind of heavy snow and you're done with summer tires. I too have been stuck in my (mostly plowed) driveway because there was a tiny hump of packed snow/ice beneath and slightly behind my rear tires. Today I was able to get out of my driveway with a fair amount of soft snow but got stuck on the street because the snow was clumpy and packed. A good set of winter tires solves these problems, even in a RWD car.

I think I'm inclined to buy an AWD car next time, just because it's much more enjoyable to drive in the snow. It's also more fun in the rain during the warmer seasons.
Not only are you done when there is heavy snow when you have summer tires but you put others on the road at risk! Once you are moving, great, but when you have to stop, good luck! Irresponsible drivers with summer tires sliding into me = law suit for negligent and irresponsible driver!
Old 02-07-14, 06:58 AM
WWM
Rookie

More traction while driving, especially on turns.For braking and such it makes no difference. But there is a bit of practical value in having AWD too, such as when waiting to make a left turn at an intersection and you can't see too far down the oncoming traffic lane for whatever reason. It's easier to blast it around the corner in AWD than in RWD. In the rain even more so.

Not only are you done when there is heavy snow when you have summer tires but you put others on the road at risk! Once you are moving, great, but when you have to stop, good luck! Irresponsible drivers with summer tires sliding into me = law suit for negligent and irresponsible driver!
The same could be said of people driving on bald tires. Or most of the idiots on the road who don't know how to control their car during a slide at all. But yes, in accumulated snow, summer tires are quite dangerous.
Old 02-07-14, 07:00 AM
avex
Rookie

Winter tires are hrd to come by this time of year. The only ones I could find were Blizzak LM32's. They're more expensive than the more popular WS70's, but I'm not sure if they're any better. For the rear I had to go with 255/40-18's.
Old 02-07-14, 07:03 AM
WWM
Rookie

Winter tires are hrd to come by this time of year. The only ones I could find were Blizzak LM32's. They're more expensive than the more popular WS70's, but I'm not sure if they're any better. For the rear I had to go with 255/40-18's.
I use LM32 RFT's on the BMW 135i. They've dealt well with some horrific conditions, and that's trying to reign in the super torquey N55 engine. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: MERGED SNOW tire and rims discussion