IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

'14 Q50S vs. '14 IS350 F-Sport: Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 04:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not really a paid advertisement when the reviewer says the IS is better in every way except engine power

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The AWD 3IS was only 1/10ths slower with the 6 speed auto despite being 300 lbs heavier and actually trapped higher than the RWD 3IS with 8 speed automatic
the AWD is not 300 lbs heavier, its 140ish if you look at the lexus website
Old 08-29-13, 09:35 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not really a paid advertisement when the reviewer says the IS is better in every way except engine power

the AWD is not 300 lbs heavier, its 140ish if you look at the lexus website
According to Lexus Canada brochure,

IS350 AWD is 65KG heavier than its RWD counterpart. 65kg ~ 143 lbs. Of course some extra equipment affects the weight such as moonroof (20kg) and Mark Levinson sound system (10kg for Japan-spec blu-ray equipped ML)
Old 08-29-13, 09:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I'm in full agreement that an extra 50 hp/tq would be great in the IS and I think it really needs it. The trap speed between the two is quite a lot. The Q did look fun to toss around. The ability to turn of the nannies is certainly a plus.
Yeah...that is the ONLY disappointment in the IS350. Its not any faster than my 2004 G35 coupe with light mods I'm really hoping for a better engine in the refresh...car looks like a definite winner
Old 08-29-13, 09:52 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Although, Johnny thinks the IS needs another 50 HP, but the real reason behind the underwhelming acceleration number are simply Lexus dropping the ball on the gearing.

As seen from comparison of 2IS gearing and 3IS gearing, the 3IS 8 speed gearing is much taller overall than the 2IS 6 speed gearing, which results in less torque multiplication through gears despite the extra 2 cogs.
Where do you find this information? If it is on Lexus' Web site, I was not able to find it. I found several different sources for the '13 IS350, and several of them agreed, however C&D had a different set of numbers. The three different sources that I found and that agreed, for the '13, say that 1st gear is 3.52 and that final is 4.08, for the AT with the 350cc engine. (Both transmissions for the 250 are evidently different.) Total ratio is 14.36. For the '14, Edmunds is the one place that I was able to find numbers, which are 4.6 for 1st and 3.13 for final; the overall is 14.4. I have no way of knowing if these numbers are correct, but if they are, the '14 has a slight advantage, and a similar advantage in 2nd. Although the difference is so slight that it is exceedingly unlikely that it could make any measurable difference in the 0-60 time.

It is of course fully correct to look at the effect of gearing from the standpoint of "torque multiplication". I've encountered people who think there is something silly or contrived about the idea of multiplying torque, but I'm perfectly fine with it. That said, there is another equally valid, equally correct and proper way of looking at it, that some people think is a simpler perspective. The greater the actual power at a given instant, the greater the acceleration. An overall ratio (for 1st gear) that implies greater engine rpm also implies greater power, and therefore greater acceleration.
Old 08-29-13, 09:58 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by blksolara
I still want to see a review of the 350 F vs Q50 Hybrid which I think might be a better car. 370HP with 31 AVG MPG.
The Q50 hybrid is no doubt very impressive in acceleration. The same power train in the M hybrid, which already is fast. It stands to reason that something will be given up in handling. But is not what turns me off as much as the limited trunk space you get with any hybrid. Any hybrid would need to use the Tesla battery configuration before I would realistically consider it.
Old 08-29-13, 10:13 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by machmike
I drove them both back to back to back two weeks ago in Denver.

...After the last lexus ride I knew Lexus was the way to go.

My take:

Looks:
Winner: IS350 F Sport and IS350. The Q50 looks like a honda... with a nicer front end. Those headlights feel like an owl face staring...its weird.
I as well drove both pretty much back-to-back, although not quite so, and I changed my mind two or three times, as to which I preferred. For me, the overriding factors are the climate controls of the Q50, which I do not like in the least, and the difference in audio, Mark Levinson vs. Bose, is definitely a consideration in my opinion. And I just do not like the interior of the Q50, which to my eye looks cheap, very much like a Hyundai or a previous-gen Toyota Highlander. In my view it is bland and uninspired, whereas the interior of the IS350 has the opposite effect on me.

And regarding the headlights on the Q50. They are of course direct copies of some BMW headlights, although Infiniti has been using similar headlights on other vehicles for a few years now. I don't know whether Infiniti or BMW was first with this headlight design, but I do know that the inspiration is the eyes of certain venomous snakes, i.e., pit vipers, which include rattlesnakes and copperheads, and cottonmouths. The similarity is overt and is not a coincidence. The headlights of these cars mimic the eyes of pit vipers. Now, if people like for the headlights of their cars to mimic the eyes of pit vipers, then so be it. But when I look at the headlights of the car, all I see is an ugly snake. I don't have any fear of snakes, at all, but I just don't think that there is anything at all attractive about a snake, and personally I cannot appreciate the idea of car headlights designed to mimic the eyes of venomous snakes. I just do not get it, at all.
Old 08-29-13, 10:14 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

The gear ratio comparison was posted on this board. The final drive in the 3IS is much taller than that of the 2IS (I think it was 4.1:1 for the 2IS vs 3.7:1 for the 3IS) so overall gearing actually is taller in the 3IS compared to 2IS.

Regarding "torque multiplication", that is ofcourse simple physics (I am an engineer) and the whole point of having gears in the first place and also the reason why even cars with lots of crank torque would never try to accelerate in 6th gear at 20 mph without downshifting to 3rd or 2nd.

Originally Posted by KeyserS
Where do you find this information? If it is on Lexus' Web site, I was not able to find it. I found several different sources for the '13 IS350, and several of them agreed, however C&D had a different set of numbers. The three different sources that I found and that agreed, for the '13, say that 1st gear is 3.52 and that final is 4.08, for the AT with the 350cc engine. (Both transmissions for the 250 are evidently different.) Total ratio is 14.36. For the '14, Edmunds is the one place that I was able to find numbers, which are 4.6 for 1st and 3.13 for final; the overall is 14.4. I have no way of knowing if these numbers are correct, but if they are, the '14 has a slight advantage, and a similar advantage in 2nd. Although the difference is so slight that it is exceedingly unlikely that it could make any measurable difference in the 0-60 time.

It is of course fully correct to look at the effect of gearing from the standpoint of "torque multiplication". I've encountered people who think there is something silly or contrived about the idea of multiplying torque, but I'm perfectly fine with it. That said, there is another equally valid, equally correct and proper way of looking at it, that some people think is a simpler perspective. The greater the actual power at a given instant, the greater the acceleration. An overall ratio (for 1st gear) that implies greater engine rpm also implies greater power, and therefore greater acceleration.
Old 08-29-13, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Nice paid advertisment from Infiniti! What did the Lexus get like 1 min of that entire video?
You obviously didn't watch the video. The Lexus won. They each had the same amount of time, and the IS was what they ended the video with. You have to watch the WHOLE video

I too think the car looks great, and think it looks its best in the F Sport trim. I also really like the looks of the Q50, I think both cars' styling is appealing for different reasons. I do not like the idea of "steer by wire"...

I haven't driven a Q50 but would like to.

Originally Posted by G8rGri
I am confused every single time someone says the 3IS is "ugly". I absolutely love the styling. It's 90% of the reason I bought the car. I had little interest in Lexus prior to the debut of the 3IS.
I've said it before, but in order to make something that people truly "love" you risk making something some people "hate". The styling is edgy and different, and some people are going to hate it. If you love it, and there are plenty of people who do, enjoy it.

Originally Posted by Glashub
And now they're discussing that the pre-collision system is sometimes applying the brakes for no apparent reason
To be fair, there are several posts in the 4GS forum about this happening with the Lexus system as well, it nearly caused a few accidents, and prompted at least one member, sydtoosic, to sell his 4GS for a base 2013 LS without the PCS.
Old 08-29-13, 11:46 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Nice paid advertisment from Infiniti! What did the Lexus get like 1 min of that entire video?
I hope this was a joke. Any additional time spent on the Q was minimal, and more to the point, was spent talking about the steer by wire which he did NOT like. Then there's the fact that the IS won the head 2 head.
Old 08-29-13, 12:28 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

who will buy Q50? not me.
Old 08-29-13, 01:52 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The IS styling is definitely a love / hate thing. No one can say it's weak and average. Naturally, i love it.

The Q50... how about no.
Old 08-29-13, 01:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ramon
I'm in full agreement that an extra 50 hp/tq would be great in the IS and I think it really needs it. The trap speed between the two is quite a lot. The Q did look fun to toss around. The ability to turn of the nannies is certainly a plus.
Agreed....I like the higher redline of the Q50...but amazingly the sound of gone, its very mute, sounds like a Lexus from the past. The new GS/IS sound great at WOT...

Both do have carryover engines....

In tossing around its not close believe it or not, the F-sport is much more fun and balances and gives you confidence. The Q50 reminds me of my older GS 450h...sporty on a lesser scale and doesn't want to be rushed....
Old 08-29-13, 05:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

this is probably the most annoying review i have ever seen... i literally feel stupid after watching it.

he is just an idiot trying to be opinionated. He should first write things down first though, as he first tells us how nobody can tell the difference between new steering and old and then after few minutes he spends a lifetime complaining how artificial new steering is.

it is as we are watching timeline of his tweets.
Old 08-29-13, 07:44 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is probably the most annoying review i have ever seen... i literally feel stupid after watching it.

he is just an idiot trying to be opinionated. He should first write things down first though, as he first tells us how nobody can tell the difference between new steering and old and then after few minutes he spends a lifetime complaining how artificial new steering is.

it is as we are watching timeline of his tweets.
THIS.
Even though the IS won, I feel like he didn't give both cars enough justice but fixated on one aspect of each car at the expense of a comprehensive review of each car's features. I much prefer Carlos Lagos.
Old 08-29-13, 07:51 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The review was fine for what it is. He said within the first 2 minutes it was going to be about how the cars drive, and that's precisely what he focused on. If you were looking for a comprehensive review, that should have been your queue right there. He briefly touched on a couple other aspects but focused on exactly what he said the review would be focused on.

Quick Reply: '14 Q50S vs. '14 IS350 F-Sport: Motor Trend