IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

removed protective film

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 05:21 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r0shiro
I've been living in California for 27 years and driving for 15 years now. I've had 6 vehicles (none of them had your nine years of film) and they've only had front bumper chips from debris. A small and consciously inevitable price to pay to keep the integrity of the vehicles design intact. You were here providing 9 years of literally band-aids vs solutions. Solutions foster growth, fixes only prolong your assured fall.

I'm sure a lot of people complain about rock chips in California. Hell...they probably complain about rock chips in a lot of cites around the US. Have you ran into people who rave ecstatically about rock chips?? I haven't so I'm not sure where you were going with that comment....

Did you live in socal? We may not have money to keep our public schools open but we have enough to make sure our roads are pristine. In orange county it seems like they are always closing roads to repave them. Much of these roads are repaved by gentleman who have trades in other areas such as protective film installation. A trade obviously not worth pursuing in California. It leads to supplemental professions to make ends meet or worse...leaving the state because they can't afford it here. Where do you live again?

The fact that you are defending a debate that a 2X6inch strip of film on a rear door will protect my car from rock chips is ludicrous. As if that portion alone is a blackhole for rocks. And as for the top of the rear bumper...buy your groceries in small, easy to lift episodes. I recommend P90x to start your journey to some clearly needed upper body strength. I'd start with the 5lb bells and work my way up.

See...that's what advice sounds like. Not..."we'll see what happens when he gets rock chips". I'm paraphrasing your initial comment and I apologize for that. Maybe you'll be able to add something positive to this forum next time instead of making a backhanded remark, which I can only imagine was a projection of one's jealousy?

I hope you have less rock chip problems in the future. Have a good one.
Wow, didn't see this but what a reply. I am not going to waste my time replying to all of that but I will say that getting paint protection film on your vehicle is not providing a band aid. In fact it is preventing you from needing a band aid... i.e. touching up rock chips. Band aids are for accidents... not to prevent them. Anyway good luck with your vehicles in the future. If you don't think there are rock chip problems in California you might try the "search" function and do a little research. also you might inquire as to why California is the second largest market in the country in regards to clear bras.

Last edited by PTmobile; 02-12-14 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-12-14, 07:30 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

If that's the same stuff as clear bra I'm glad I chose not to install it on the front. Those lines would be horrid. If lexus did this to prevent rock chips to high impact areas why is the entire front bumper unprotected then?
Old 02-12-14, 08:10 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Wow, didn't see this but what a reply. I am not going to waste my time replying to all of that but I will say that getting paint protection film on your vehicle is not providing a band aid. In fact it is preventing you from needing a band aid... i.e. touching up rock chips. Band aids are for accidents... not to prevent them. Anyway good luck with your vehicles in the future. If you don't think there are rock chip problems in California you might try the "search" function and do a little research. also you might inquire as to why California is the second largest market in the country in regards to clear bras.
I agree with what you are saying about the "band aid" and that the film is to prevent not to fix. However I do not believe that specific placement of the film is preventing any chips, wether it is here in California, or in NY. Front bumper, yes as it takes all the abuse from rocks on the road, but the rear arches no. Like I said previously, my 370Z has been on the road here in CA for 1.5 years, and I have zero ***knock on wood*** chips in any of my front or rear fenders behind my wheels. And my fenders are a lot wider than the 3IS and I am running 19's with spacers.
Old 02-12-14, 08:18 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
i think i used "Band-Aid" literally...you are using it as a metaphor.

I'm not surprised...no wait i take that back...i am surprised. i thought California would be number one. out of the top 100 cities in America with an average of more than 4 cars per household, 85 of those cities are in California. so by opportunity alone California would yield a higher rate of clear bra (automotive accessories in general) applications than other states. I can see why companies like yours would move to a less saturated state.

good luck.

Originally Posted by Vairox
If that's the same stuff as clear bra I'm glad I chose not to install it on the front. Those lines would be horrid. If lexus did this to prevent rock chips to high impact areas why is the entire front bumper unprotected then?
the lines are/were horrid. lol. im eight months in and i drive it hard. i go to canyons often and ill be tracking it soon. not a single scratch or dent or rock chip. same goes for the top of my rear bumper. i just LIFT my things...and i never rest anything on it. its a bumper not a shelf... lol.

but then again...this is coming from a guy who never uses cell phone covers either. lol.
Old 02-13-14, 10:13 AM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alius
The sooner you get it off, the easier it will be. Took mine off after a week of ownership and left some glue residue so thankfully I had 3M adhesive remover spray and the residue came off very easily with just a couple of wipes.
OK, will definitely try that. Thanks.
Old 02-13-14, 02:38 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Maaaan...why didnt i think of washing it FIRST?? This "protection" is about as good as wearing a bullet proof necklace and walking into a gun fight. When you get yours, i strongly suggest wrapping the whole car in the clear bra. And more importantly, this applique hurts the integrity of the vehicle vs helping it.
So u took yours off ?? I was thinking of doing it because it just looks weird even after a wash !!
Old 02-13-14, 02:49 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwik8276
So u took yours off ?? I was thinking of doing it because it just looks weird even after a wash !!
excuse my sarcasm in my highlighted comment...that was a **** response. lol.

anyways...yea i removed it. I removed it 3 days after i drove off the lot.it was super simple. the guy took a blow dryer to it for about 60-90 seconds and peeled it off slowly. it didnt leave a residue but then again the car was brand new. if you do see some residue im sure you can wash it off. i removed four pieces total. two on each of the rear doors and the one on the rear bumper. =)
Old 02-13-14, 02:58 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

excuse my sarcasm in my highlighted comment...that was a **** response. lol. anyways...yea i removed it. I removed it 3 days after i drove off the lot.it was super simple. the guy took a blow dryer to it for about 60-90 seconds and peeled it off slowly. it didnt leave a residue but then again the car was brand new. if you do see some residue im sure you can wash it off. i removed four pieces total. two on each of the rear doors and the one on the rear bumper. =)
Lol cool I'll be doing that very soon ;-) thanks for your help and sarcasm !! Lol
Old 02-13-14, 03:03 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

excuse my sarcasm in my highlighted comment...that was a **** response. lol. anyways...yea i removed it. I removed it 3 days after i drove off the lot.it was super simple. the guy took a blow dryer to it for about 60-90 seconds and peeled it off slowly. it didnt leave a residue but then again the car was brand new. if you do see some residue im sure you can wash it off. i removed four pieces total. two on each of the rear doors and the one on the rear bumper. =)
hmmm what does **** mean lmao jk Roshiro
Old 02-13-14, 04:48 PM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

excuse my sarcasm in my highlighted comment...that was a **** response. lol.

anyways...yea i removed it. I removed it 3 days after i drove off the lot.it was super simple. the guy took a blow dryer to it for about 60-90 seconds and peeled it off slowly. it didnt leave a residue but then again the car was brand new. if you do see some residue im sure you can wash it off. i removed four pieces total. two on each of the rear doors and the one on the rear bumper. =)
Yeah, those are the 3 I will remove. **** looks nasty already.
Old 06-13-14, 10:02 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Someone recently backed up into the driver's side rear 3/4 panel of my car and the protective film just ahead of the rear wheel will need to be removed on painting. Anyone know if the film is a part that the body shop can source? I'd like to retain the film.

Last edited by dbs600; 06-13-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 05:04 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Even if the body shop doesn't have the ability to do it, you should be able to find a ppf installer that can do it. My Xpel guy had DAP and custom cut everything.
Old 06-14-14, 07:43 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Even if the body shop doesn't have the ability to do it, you should be able to find a ppf installer that can do it. My Xpel guy had DAP and custom cut everything.
I'd require the body shop sublet the work to such an installer, need be.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-15-14, 10:59 AM
SCSurf
Driver

r0shiro - is your front bumper clear bra or do you not have any clear bra protection on?

Also, any suggestions for which areas of the front part of my car I should clear bra? Some say the bumper, full hood, and mirrors, but I can't just $700 - $1000 for that.

I believe you mentioned you lived somewhere in So. Cal - any suggestions for clear bra installers?