IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 06:13 PM
JL25
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checking to see if anybody has had clear bra put on their new IS yet. Did the installers have any problems installing it?
Old 07-13-13, 07:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JL25
Checking to see if anybody has had clear bra put on their new IS yet. Did the installers have any problems installing it?
I'm getting my front bumper clear bra on Tuesday. I wonder how they would deal with so many curves on the bumper.
Old 07-13-13, 08:58 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I'm getting my front bumper clear bra on Tuesday. I wonder how they would deal with so many curves on the bumper.
Sure, keep us posted. Show some pictures. Do you know if the installer uses a pre-cut kit or use bulk film for your front bumper?
Old 07-13-13, 09:46 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL
Sure, keep us posted. Show some pictures. Do you know if the installer uses a pre-cut kit or use bulk film for your front bumper?
I'll find out by then. Not sure if they have precut, probably a very first 3IS they do clear bra. They will use Xpel with self healing.
Old 07-14-13, 05:04 AM
JL25
Rookie

Definitely keep us updated. I'm also thinking of xpel ultimate if I get a clear bra.
Old 07-14-13, 12:38 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JL25
Definitely keep us updated. I'm also thinking of xpel ultimate if I get a clear bra.
You have the advantage of contacting Xpel directly. Their headquarter is in San Antonio, TX and that's where the designers for the kits reside and you should be able to find the best installer in your area.
Old 07-14-13, 04:00 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

ISn't this listed as a dealer option for $400? I'd just get it from the dealer at that price.
Old 07-14-13, 06:51 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by azmojo
ISn't this listed as a dealer option for $400? I'd just get it from the dealer at that price.
I would first find out how much coverage the dealer option offers as I will be doubtful the option could give the same coverage you can get from a 3rd party installer. Thera are many coverage options for the hood available on the market..
Old 07-15-13, 05:19 AM
PTmobile
Driver

After having installed Ventureshield Ultra for nearly 10 years in California I had to switch to another film when I came to Texas. It simply does not last since it is not a true top coated film. I first went with Avery Nano Fusion which was excellent... but since they shut the production line down and restarted it the film is no where near the same. Xpel Ultimate was the first with the self healing top coat... but I have found the Suntek film is actually better at self healing. It is also smoother than Xpel Ultimate and the adhesive is much more forgiving. I test all of the films that come out and would not recommend 3M, Ventureshield, and definitely not premium Shield as it only lasted a few months before dulling.

As far as kits Suntek is right there with Xpel and Proform (if you buy their software you get the same pattern databases so no difference really). Proform has had problems over recent years staying up with the patterns for new vehicles... not sure why but they aren't reliable. Bothe Suntek and Xpel make great patterns and seem to have the new vehicle patterns very quickly.

Pricing varies so greatly its hard to give you fair prices. A local competitor in my area charges twice what I do for the same coverage yet he uses Ventureshield film. Same quality install but I use a better film... so you are kind of at the installers mercy unfortunately. Detailing Dynamics has an excellent reputation in their area so I would recommend them.

Andy Xpel does is not related to any of the top installers in the DFW area as no one, including myself, uses their film here. Two of us use Suntek and the other Ventureshield so they wont recommend the best installer... just one that carries their film.
Old 07-15-13, 06:34 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PTmobile
After having installed Ventureshield Ultra for nearly 10 years in California I had to switch to another film when I came to Texas. It simply does not last since it is not a true top coated film. I first went with Avery Nano Fusion which was excellent... but since they shut the production line down and restarted it the film is no where near the same. Xpel Ultimate was the first with the self healing top coat... but I have found the Suntek film is actually better at self healing. It is also smoother than Xpel Ultimate and the adhesive is much more forgiving. I test all of the films that come out and would not recommend 3M, Ventureshield, and definitely not premium Shield as it only lasted a few months before dulling.

As far as kits Suntek is right there with Xpel and Proform (if you buy their software you get the same pattern databases so no difference really). Proform has had problems over recent years staying up with the patterns for new vehicles... not sure why but they aren't reliable. Bothe Suntek and Xpel make great patterns and seem to have the new vehicle patterns very quickly.

Pricing varies so greatly its hard to give you fair prices. A local competitor in my area charges twice what I do for the same coverage yet he uses Ventureshield film. Same quality install but I use a better film... so you are kind of at the installers mercy unfortunately. Detailing Dynamics has an excellent reputation in their area so I would recommend them.

Andy Xpel does is not related to any of the top installers in the DFW area as no one, including myself, uses their film here. Two of us use Suntek and the other Ventureshield so they wont recommend the best installer... just one that carries their film.
Hi PTMobile,

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that. I thought the dealer search in Xpel is working properly...
Old 07-15-13, 08:42 AM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost in California to have Xpel installed is a lot more than any states, at least from after reading this thread. I'm from California and currently looking for an installer to install clear bra on my car as well. The pricing I've been getting is upward of $1400 for just the full bumper and full hood. It would cost me around $1800 to get full bumper, full hood, fenders, side mirrors and head lights done. Ouch! That's tough on the wallet.

All the installers I've talked to will be do a custom cut on the clear bra. The hardest part for the 3IS is the bumper and headlights. The bumper has a lot of curves and you would want them to do the bumper with one whole piece of wrap. The front grille basically takes up the whole middle area and there's only a small area at the bottom of the bumper that needs to be wrapped. One installer told me that it would be better to wrap that area altogether as one piece instead of doing the bumper with 3 pieces (left side, right side, middle). The headlights are different too now with curves too. It'll be hard, probably not impossible, to wrap the headlights without any seams.

As of right now, I'm still searching around and haven't really decided what to do for my car.

Last edited by wildtigg3r; 07-15-13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 08:15 PM
mmims2000
Driver

[/QUOTE]

Is that line a seam? Or is it something else? Tough to tell from the pic?
Old 07-18-13, 08:22 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Yes it's a seam. Because of many curves on the bumper.
Old 07-18-13, 08:31 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Yes it's a seam. Because of many curves on the bumper.
Ok, thanks. I'm assuming its the same on the other side? Are there other spots which have seams too? Also, was yours a custom cut or from a kit? Sorry for all the questions: I'm strongly considering doing this to my new black car, but I just really am hesitant unless Im confident that it will turn really really good, and won't stand out. I know a big part if the equation is the quality of the workmanship.
Old 07-18-13, 08:54 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

A seam with a hole in it? That doesn't look like a kit cut, appears to be installer created. There should not be a cut in the middle of a flat surface. Any worthy installer should be capable of using steam or heat to get the film to conform to virtually any surface contour.

The place that did my 12C were very good. No kits, just one sheet per surface (nose, hood, fenders, headlights, splitter). Wrapped edges and no "adjustment" cuts. You can't even tell it's got film.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice-front.jpg   Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice-front2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice