IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS 350 (non F Sport) dealer unveiling, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 07:02 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Thanks for your review. I got an invitation to the exclusive showing at JM Lexus yesterday but I could not make it.

I think the reason the Navi display is so small....it gives Lexus room to make changes in 2015 and 2016 versions of IS along with increased HP later. Why bring all the goodies out in first yr model. I was considering getting the new IS this year but I will probably wait another year for additional changes.
If that is really Lexus's plan...They got it all wrong. They need to come HARD with the new IS and it sure looks like they cheaped out on a few areas especially the LCD screen...

They could have wow'ed me now instead of making me wait until the next refresh! The refresh is years away...and I will go get that new Infiniti or BMW now.
Old 04-07-13, 10:27 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
If that is really Lexus's plan...They got it all wrong. They need to come HARD with the new IS and it sure looks like they cheaped out on a few areas especially the LCD screen...

They could have wow'ed me now instead of making me wait until the next refresh! The refresh is years away...and I will go get that new Infiniti or BMW now.
I sometimes shake my head when I read of people making car purchase decisions based on what they read online solely.

My mantra is : "Test Drives Are Free."

Are there really people silly enough to make multi-thousand dollar purchasing decisions based on online hearsay alone????

Not sure if serious........
Old 04-08-13, 06:11 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ah Yes, This is why most forums were create. Honestly this what I think is wrong with luxury car companies having lower tier luxury cars. But I'll save that rant for another thread. Having a luxury name stamp on the front of your car doesn't make it luxury. Most lower tier luxury cars interior are no better than a EX/V6 Honda Accord. The new IS is definately a car Lexus needs to knock out of the park and if they went cheap on the interior it was a huge mistake. Yes, before I purchase a car I definately go test drive the vehicle despite what someone says but if a member tells me he drove 45 miles to see a car and was disappoint. I don't demiss his opinion.

It's too many options in this price bracket and the IS needs to be a hit.

Last edited by rogers2; 04-08-13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 01:43 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lil flaws here and there but u never i know might upgrade in a few years.....engine covers should have stayed
Old 04-20-13, 03:59 PM
ColoISGirl
Driver School Candidate

I thought the IS 250 and IS 350 body were the same. The only difference is the engine. Is this correct? Also, while you do not think the IS 350 is "sporty" enough, I lean toward luxury/luxury. That said would this car fit that bill? Finally, what we the sales price of this car? thanks!
Old 04-20-13, 04:59 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ColoISGirl
I thought the IS 250 and IS 350 body were the same. The only difference is the engine. Is this correct? Also, while you do not think the IS 350 is "sporty" enough, I lean toward luxury/luxury. That said would this car fit that bill? Finally, what we the sales price of this car? thanks!
Bodies are the same (currently). Primary difference is engine, and I believe some options might only be available on the 350 (but not 100% sure on that)

If i was shopping something solely from a "luxury" look i'd go down a bit on price + added features and look at the ES. There was no posted sticker price on the car that I previewed.
Old 04-20-13, 05:30 PM
ColoISGirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oztiks
Bodies are the same (currently). Primary difference is engine, and I believe some options might only be available on the 350 (but not 100% sure on that)

If i was shopping something solely from a "luxury" look i'd go down a bit on price + added features and look at the ES. There was no posted sticker price on the car that I previewed.
Thanks for the response. Sadly the ES is only FWD and I need AWD in Colorado. Since there was no sticker price, could the car you saw was just a prototype of the "real" car? The car I saw at the Denver car show was a prototype according to a local dealer.
Old 04-22-13, 07:45 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

what color is the IS shown in the pictures? Is it gray or Atomic Silver?
Old 04-22-13, 07:20 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ColoISGirl
Thanks for the response. Sadly the ES is only FWD and I need AWD in Colorado. Since there was no sticker price, could the car you saw was just a prototype of the "real" car? The car I saw at the Denver car show was a prototype according to a local dealer.
there were no markings on the car, as automakers traditionally tend to do, to indicate that it was a pre-production model. i have seen pre-production vehicles in the past and they are normally very thoroughly marked as such. i honestly believe it's too close to the launch date for pre-production as it would require a massive undertaking to make even a slight change in the manufacuring process (well, more q.a./r&d than actually making the change)

Originally Posted by skip000
what color is the IS shown in the pictures? Is it gray or Atomic Silver?
sorry, i do not have this information. there was no window sticker on the car as it was not available for sale and i did not think to ask.
Old 04-22-13, 08:30 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

there were no markings on the car, as automakers traditionally tend to do, to indicate that it was a pre-production model. i have seen pre-production vehicles in the past and they are normally very thoroughly marked as such. i honestly believe it's too close to the launch date for pre-production as it would require a massive undertaking to make even a slight change in the manufacuring process (well, more q.a./r&d than actually making the change)

sorry, i do not have this information. there was no window sticker on the car as it was not available for sale and i did not think to ask.
It was a pre-production. Lexus HQ informed us there are no production models stateside as of right now. So the ones over on the East Coast, the drive event at Austin, TX, and the two in Irvine, CA are all pre
Old 04-23-13, 02:23 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It was a pre-production. Lexus HQ informed us there are no production models stateside as of right now. So the ones over on the East Coast, the drive event at Austin, TX, and the two in Irvine, CA are all pre
I'm willing to bet the title to my -F with everything included that the car shown at JM lexus will fully represent the quality of the production vehicle. Just saying.
Old 04-23-13, 07:33 AM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Default IS Performance

I asked, when I was at corporate in Naperville,IL, why they had the same engine in the new IS. I was vehemently told that though they retained the same engine, the handling of the new body and suspension would make up for the engine issues. This IS pictured is most likely a prototype, even though there was not a "sticker" on it that said so. I believe that the IS has not had a production run, but we were trained on prototypes. Take this with a grain of salt. Will this IS look basically the same? Yes. They still have some bugs to work out, but here is a video showing a snippet of exterior/interior views. I think you are being a little hypercritical of this IS. Anyway, here is a video I shot while at training:

Originally Posted by scionized
i wonder how it drives compared to the older gen/ . Agree with you the interior is nice, except for the steering wheel controls- not clean at all
Old 04-23-13, 02:06 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm willing to bet the title to my -F with everything included that the car shown at JM lexus will fully represent the quality of the production vehicle. Just saying.
they are roughly 90% representation of the production model
Old 04-25-13, 11:45 AM
tbs2
Driver School Candidate

Very helpful review.....But I like the new style stalks
Old 04-30-13, 01:02 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusVTS44
I asked, when I was at corporate in Naperville,IL, why they had the same engine in the new IS. I was vehemently told that though they retained the same engine, the handling of the new body and suspension would make up for the engine issues. This IS pictured is most likely a prototype, even though there was not a "sticker" on it that said so. I believe that the IS has not had a production run, but we were trained on prototypes. Take this with a grain of salt. Will this IS look basically the same? Yes. They still have some bugs to work out, but here is a video showing a snippet of exterior/interior views. I think you are being a little hypercritical of this IS. Anyway, here is a video I shot while at training:
Why would I not be hypercritical? P.S, your video actually shows a great example of the new climate control design being nothing more than gimmicky and also likely to frustrate buyers.

I had a jaguar XF in which they tried desperately to use surfaces like that to do things such as lighting, glove compartment release, etc. It was a great idea except for the fact it was wrought with issues (didnt respond to half the touches); and is also completely useless if you have gloves on. I am not sure if the lexus climate control mechanism will be useless with gloves, but i am hoping they thought ahead for that.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS 350 (non F Sport) dealer unveiling, my thoughts