IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS 350 F SPORT in Nebula Gray Caught in the wild!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 08:24 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those other press release pictures of the NGP non-F-Sport 3IS looked pretty good. The back does not look that great in these photos. I almost thought it was the current GS rear.

I like SGM better because it is darker although I think NGP has more metallic shine in it. SGM looks dull in the rain too so maybe this might be better in person or on a sunny day.
Old 01-30-13, 11:17 AM
MothIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second gen IS looks way better, 2014 IS
Old 01-30-13, 11:10 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first post here... I saw the new IS at the Houston Autoshow (IS 250) and thought it looked pretty interesting. I saw a few pics on the web and thought the grill might be a little off-putting but it looks better in person. At least the IS 250 version. I liked that they added split folding rear seats. One of my requirements in my next car. I also expect I can get the cooled seats in one of the IS 250 trim levels. So the new IS is on my short list. It would be my first Lexus. I currently drive an Acura and I'm waiting to see what the new TLX will bring, but I was disappointed in the RLX at the Autoshow. Nice car but pretty conservative and overpriced. Either way I will wait to see how this car pans out in its first year but so far it has everything I want in my next car. Just have to get used to the stying
Old 01-30-13, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I still like the look of the 3IS, even though this grey is pretty staid.

I have never liked the Toyota/Lexus designers inclination to have the housing for the lights to protrude outside the surface area of the car. It was quite pronounced in previous Celicas, Solaras and ESes from the past, etc. And now I see it's made its way onto this 3IS.

See how the outside edges of the rear's light housings protrude outside the surface of the body? I don't like that. It makes the car look like it has warts or something. I like the lights to basically be flush with the body. To my eye, it just makes the car look cleaner.

I can get over it, because from most angles you can't tell. But from this dead-on rear shot, it's too noticeable.
The 2IS has the bulging rear lights.... nothing new.

Now that I see this pic again, it looks strikingly similar to the new ES's rear. The black plastic at the bottom makes the tailpipes look like they are suspended in mid-air. Lexus could have done so much better.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-31-13 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 11:44 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Be honest, the new IS in this color is ugly. That ISF owner has low taste. All those pictures should be deleted forever.
Old 01-30-13, 11:47 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The 2IS has the buldging rear lights.... nothing new.

Now that I see this pic again, it looks strikingly similar to the new ES's rear. The black plastic at the bottom makes the tailpipes look like they are suspended in mid-air. Lexus could have done so much better.
I agree with you. Is the black plastic a diffuser? That could be way better.
Old 01-31-13, 12:04 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The IS F CCS P doesn't belong to an owner. I believe Lexus Corporate showcases it at auto shows and events. Not everyone will like the additional parts on this model, but it's to illustrate and bring awareness to a racing aspect that Lexus is diving into. I still want that hood

As for the 3IS, I like that Lexus is pushing the envelope with this model. It will be a great seller, but given how much praise the 2IS body and look were given, it'll take time for people to get used to this new IS look. It's a radical new design that sparks interest in the product, keeping it in line with the evolution of the brand's Spindle Grille. In terms of the rear, I can't wait to see what kind of aftermarket support will give it more of an edgier look- similar to when the 4GS came out.
Old 01-31-13, 12:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I still like the look of the 3IS, even though this grey is pretty staid.

I have never liked the Toyota/Lexus designers inclination to have the housing for the lights to protrude outside the surface area of the car. It was quite pronounced in previous Celicas, Solaras and ESes from the past, etc. And now I see it's made its way onto this 3IS.

See how the outside edges of the rear's light housings protrude outside the surface of the body? I don't like that. It makes the car look like it has warts or something. I like the lights to basically be flush with the body. To my eye, it just makes the car look cleaner.

I can get over it, because from most angles you can't tell. But from this dead-on rear shot, it's too noticeable.
quite possibly 2IS tails protruded even more to the outside :-)
Old 01-31-13, 12:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The protrusions actually serve a purpose- windflow. Lexus made it a point to talk about this when the 2IS debuted. Surely it's achieving the same thing on the 3IS.

Speaking of protruding taillights, Mercedes kind of started it off during the 70's and 80's on all their sedans. The first ML SUV was the last to have them. Now Mercedes will invent the next trend: 1970's dashboards in modern cars (see the 2014 S-Class). But I digress.
Old 01-31-13, 08:42 AM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

I like it...Looks good
Old 01-31-13, 11:03 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I Like it, just not too sure about the grille.....
Old 01-31-13, 12:46 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

To be honest it seems like most people seem to have the biggest issue with the grill design. I see so many people say the non f sport grill is better.
Old 01-31-13, 01:03 PM
pianospike
Rookie

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
To be honest it seems like most people seem to have the biggest issue with the grill design. I see so many people say the non f sport grill is better.
Almost 60/40 in favor of f sport grill, according to poll. I think people that are inclined to be offended by the f sport grill design l are just more vocal than the rest of us. I've loved the f sport grill from the start. However, I have not yet seen it in person, so it is always possible that my opinion could change...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-better.html
Old 01-31-13, 02:25 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I think the designer will be sad at this point look like 7 of 10 persons did not like the grill. Too much is too much! Regurlar version is fine.
Old 01-31-13, 02:36 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I will need to judge in person on the grill. More important to me is the options, on the 2nd gen IS I liked the f sport but I would never buy it because they removed lux features like sunshade and tilt telescoping steering wheel. If they allow it on the 3rd gen IS then I would consider the f sport.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS 350 F SPORT in Nebula Gray Caught in the wild!