IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Video Walkaround: 2014 Lexus IS & IS F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 12:49 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I was referring specifically to the rear end, the tail lights in particular with that comment. Either way, I'm not impressed by the car as a whole. Original or not, Lexus cut some serious corners with the interior IMO.
LOL WHAT?! I know most either hate or love the exterior, but everyone agrees that the interior is where Lexus has improved dramatically compared to the previous gen. Please explain how there were corner cutting?
Old 01-19-13, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I think you have to reserve final judgement on the interior for when you sit in the car in person. I personally agree that everything LOOKS high quality, but as we saw on the new ES material quality can be much cheaper than it looks.
Old 01-19-13, 03:28 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Well one of the things that impressed me with Lexus even back in my first Lexus 98 SC400 were all the little details inside the cabin. The soft tactile feel of the buttons when you push them, the quality of the materials. When I got my IS 350 even the buttons all pressed the same and the quality was still top notch. I really hope they carry on this tradition.
Old 01-19-13, 03:54 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

This is the first video I have seen showing what it looks like sitting in the back seat. Looks like decent leg room.

Old 01-19-13, 04:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Well one of the things that impressed me with Lexus even back in my first Lexus 98 SC400 were all the little details inside the cabin. The soft tactile feel of the buttons when you push them, the quality of the materials. When I got my IS 350 even the buttons all pressed the same and the quality was still top notch. I really hope they carry on this tradition.
You should go sit in a 2013 ES. Like you, those are the things I appreciate about a Lexus, and the new ES has that when it comes to buttons, etc, but plastic quality is very poor around the console, lower dash, door panels, etc. I was very disappointed, and it obviously prompted me to upgrade to the GS.

I hope they don't do the same with the IS. When you sit in a 3 series or C class, the plastics and all are very good.
Old 01-19-13, 04:30 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The entire industry is moving away from touch screens.

When you live with the remote touch controller for a few days you get used to it. I actually really like it. Typing is just as fast.
Really? The new Q50 has 2 touch screens in it. I mean look at all new tech such as smart phones and tablets...no more buttons all touch screens...
Old 01-19-13, 06:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the new IS. Definitely going with the F-sport this time,, can't wait to see these cars in person!

However, I will not be buying until they come out with the 2015 model.

Hopefully you guys can work thru all the issues this time, I helped out last time. LOL
Old 01-19-13, 08:40 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
Please explain how there were corner cutting?
I already have...

...I like the new GS interior and while the 3IS adopts a similar design philosophy, there are significant differences. I don't like the rolls in the dash on the passenger side which are FAR more prominent on the 3IS than they are on the GS. The vents don't look anywhere near as well integrated on the 3IS as they do on the GS. I don't like how HVAC controls tuck way under the AC vents vs a nice smooth transition on the GS. Sorry, but in my opinion, the 3IS looks like some Chinese knock-off of what started out as an elegant design. Then there's the front which I think is trying way to hard to look aggressive. The Japanese designers have yet to figure out how to make a car look both aggressive and elegant at the same time. Something the Germans have been doing for years.There are certain things I DO like about the 3IS, but way too much that I don't.
Old 01-19-13, 09:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MashinA
Really? The new Q50 has 2 touch screens in it. I mean look at all new tech such as smart phones and tablets...no more buttons all touch screens...
Thats Infiniti, but look at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, all controller devices.

I don't miss the touch screen at all.

Originally Posted by Ramon
I already have...
None of what you describe is "corner cutting". You may not like the style of what they have done, but you can't make a statement that they cut corners or cut costs until you sit in the new interior.
Old 01-20-13, 02:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

None of what you describe is "corner cutting". You may not like the style of what they have done, but you can't make a statement that they cut corners or cut costs until you sit in the new interior.
Exactly. There's deliberate design intent and there's cost cutting. You may not like the design but that doesn't mean that it's a result of cost cutting.
Old 01-20-13, 07:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

I have had 2009 IS220d Luxury for 11 months now... I am pretty criticial of car interiors as I am European.

I can see improvements in every way in 3IS interior. There are too many to list. Only negative so far that I noticed is that door pockets dont go out like on 2IS, which was call (but again, I never used them anyway, still it was a way to show it is step above non-luxury cars).

Thing that has impressed me lately is how they didnt leave blank spot where wheel heater is, but they have different covers for whole part. How corners of dashboard rise up to meet top of the door, or how sides of the doors go into the dashboard when doors are closed. Leather kneepads of course, big annoyance of 2IS where my knees hit plastic tunnel... how nav screen is covered with same sized glass sheet no matter what version so display audio wont look cheap. seats that offer not just better holding but are designed a bit finally, Steering wheel design is great, trip computer looks finally the part... Temp controls are cool. Leather over instrument panel is cool. Then we come to LFA and GS parts... like stalks from GS unique to Lexus... and all the LFA stuff, like combination meters, omg, thats something everyone will be amazed by, real conversation piece, then design of upper dashboard, vents, all taken from LFA.

Improvements in the interior are great, not to mention 8.7cm of extra knee room something that was really needed, plus improved trunk with folding seats complete the interior.

Finally base versions will look pretty decent unlike competition as everyone will get big screen at the top.
Old 01-20-13, 07:50 AM
MR2turbo
Driver School Candidate

I didn't like the 2014 IS when I saw the first pictures of it, but it's starting to grow on me now, especially after watching that video. The interior is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion and I LOVE the LFA cluster on the F-sport. I really like where Lexus is heading. The new IS is going to be awesome, the current LS looks quite a bit better than when the 4th generation was first introduced (though I still like the 2004-2006 model the best), and the 3rd gen GS F-sport is the one of the most beautiful sedans ever made in my opinion. Way to go Lexus!
Old 01-20-13, 07:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
This is the first video I have seen showing what it looks like sitting in the back seat. Looks like decent leg room.

http://youtu.be/riptbb7kaeU
Thanks.

There's a comparable video where they assess the back seat of the Q50.
Your video of the 3IS back seat starts at 2:00, the back seat assessment of the Q50 starts at 2:55

Looks like the 3IS packaging is more efficient since the Q50 has larger external dimensions but they both have similar (adequate) rear seating.
Old 01-20-13, 08:08 AM
SL222
Rookie

Saw one at the show yesterday and it looks really nice.

There is some small issues however.
1.wheel gap is ridiculous.....no 1.5"drop will fix it.
2.headlight washers....wth is that?it sticks out and in rather ugly..
3.front grill is nice however I wish they kept the same plastic used on f-sport grilles now. I guess I'm just used to the current grilles much better and like the color/shape better...but thats just a small complaint.
Old 01-20-13, 08:13 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

He even has that front seat pushed way back for a 6 foot guy and he still has plenty of rear knee room. I can see from this that the extra room in rear seat on new IS is very good compared to 2gen.

It's weird cause when I first saw 2gen in photos I loved it and knew I had to get this car. When I first saw it in person and drove I wanted it even more. I loved it from the start. I can't say that yet for the 3gen there are a lot of things I like. I feel with this car it's such a bold design it may take me longer to appreciate all that went into the design. There's a video on YouTube of them rolling the IS f sport off the display and riding it out of the convention and it really gives the viewer a true feel of how it looks in real life. It does look really nice from this angle.

Quick Reply: Video Walkaround: 2014 Lexus IS & IS F SPORT