IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 09:54 AM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto folding mirrors

Hi folks, I tried to find the thread about this topic but I failed, I just wonder if someone has tried to make mirrors folding electronically? After a bit of research found out that auto folding mirror is default option in Japan for IS models, then I bought driver side door switch from Japan with mirror folding button on it and passenger side mirror from Japan as well, this evening I tried to found out if it would work, removed driver side door panel, plugged in mirror which I ordered from Japan, also plugged in driver door switch, unfortunately mirror folding does not work, everything else works except that, most probably there is no necessary wiring in the door wiring, then I checked and Japanese mirror has 15 pin and my mirror has just 7 pin, I tried to find door wiring diagram with all necessary details, which color wire does what, unfortunately I could not found it, if anyone else has it, please share it.
Old 12-23-23, 01:12 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 103 Posts

Where did you get the folding mirrors from?

As for getting to work, you can use the Honda method and it will work.
Just figure out which wires are the positive and negative and my diagram below will work.

Old 12-23-23, 01:21 PM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Where did you get the folding mirrors from?

As for getting to work, you can use the Honda method and it will work.
Just figure out which wires are the positive and negative and my diagram below will work.
bought mirrors on Japan yahoo auction, but used proxy service fromjapan.co.jp to participate in auction and then transport it.

what is Honda method? (Sorry if it is dumb question but never heard)
Old 12-23-23, 01:24 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by we1rdoo
bought mirrors on Japan yahoo auction, but used proxy service fromjapan.co.jp to participate in auction and then transport it.

what is Honda method? (Sorry if it is dumb question but never heard)

Ohh ok!

I'm saying this method of wiring is what I used on my old Honda (Integra, RSX, Prelude, etc.)
It will work on the IS as well.

You basically need to buy 3 relays and 1 aftermarket switch and wire them this way:

Old 12-23-23, 01:28 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

If you do it that way:
  • The mirrors will automatically open when you turn on the car and automatically close when you turn off the car.
  • The switch allows you to close them whenever you want (if the car is on/off).
  • If the car is off, the mirrors will always be closed.

By doing it this way, you won't need the OEM mirror harness nor the OEM mirror switch.
Old 12-23-23, 01:42 PM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

If you do it that way:
  • The mirrors will automatically open when you turn on the car and automatically close when you turn off the car.
  • The switch allows you to close them whenever you want (if the car is on/off).
  • If the car is off, the mirrors will always be closed.

By doing it this way, you won't need the OEM mirror harness nor the OEM mirror switch.
that looks interesting, did not know that before, actually I have bought OEM switch as well with folding mirror button, to be honest, I would like to have OEM switch if possible, but I like the idea of folding mirrors on car’s turn off, I believe that main wiring should have it, thing is that if it is possible to add extra wire to OEM wirings of the doors.

Old 12-23-23, 01:58 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

I personally never bothered getting the OEM switches, when an aftermarket $1 switch would do the trick...
I'm sure you can get that switch to work, I just gave you an easier and cheaper way to get the mirrors to work.

Keep in mind, the relays function as reverse polarity, which is why they work the way they do and the OEM switch should have a similar feature to that as well (which is why it's tricky to wire).

How much did the mirrors cost?
I'd like to get some for my car, but I can't find them.
Old 12-23-23, 02:11 PM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

I personally never bothered getting the OEM switches, when an aftermarket $1 switch would do the trick...
I'm sure you can get that switch to work, I just gave you an easier and cheaper way to get the mirrors to work.

Keep in mind, the relays function as reverse polarity, which is why they work the way they do and the OEM switch should have a similar feature to that as well (which is why it's tricky to wire).

How much did the mirrors cost?
I'd like to get some for my car, but I can't find them.
I appreciate your help and suggestion, will try to make that switch work, actually I have bought another switch as well with auto folding button as well but as I tested it did not plug in door wiring.

about pricing:
switch was around $20
mirror was around $50

tell me which year is your IS and will help you to find, I have seen all generation IS mirrors there
Old 12-23-23, 05:09 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

If you're going to make the switch work, use the one with auto folding, at least you'll get all the features out of it.

Mine is a 2017 IS
I don't think the color matters since the housing can be swapped from what I read.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-24-23, 12:49 AM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

If you're going to make the switch work, use the one with auto folding, at least you'll get all the features out of it.

Mine is a 2017 IS
I don't think the color matters since the housing can be swapped from what I read.

Thanks in advance!
https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/japan/en...21;ー/-/

since it is Japanese auction searching with english words won’t work, usually I use translator to find specific parts, or if you would like to find all parts just use “lexus is” in search, also commonly used keywords by Japanese sellers are “ase30”, “ave30”, “gse31”, all of these keywords stands for IS 2013+, “gse31” specifically stands for IS350, but from my experience in Japan does not matter what trim level car is, 95% of them have all of the features by default, that’s why I use mostly “lexus is” to find all kind of parts, for this kind of search I used “ave30ドアミラー” , everything after “ave30” means “door mirror”, you can use “is” instead of “ave30” and I believe you will get more results which includes mirrors below 2013 years ad well, if you get stuck, let me know and will help you.
Old 12-25-23, 08:59 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/japan/en...21;ー/-/

since it is Japanese auction searching with english words won’t work, usually I use translator to find specific parts, or if you would like to find all parts just use “lexus is” in search, also commonly used keywords by Japanese sellers are “ase30”, “ave30”, “gse31”, all of these keywords stands for IS 2013+, “gse31” specifically stands for IS350, but from my experience in Japan does not matter what trim level car is, 95% of them have all of the features by default, that’s why I use mostly “lexus is” to find all kind of parts, for this kind of search I used “ave30ドアミラー” , everything after “ave30” means “door mirror”, you can use “is” instead of “ave30” and I believe you will get more results which includes mirrors below 2013 years ad well, if you get stuck, let me know and will help you.
I'll send you a message for this.

Thank you!
Old 01-05-24, 01:01 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 34 Posts

I appreciate your help and suggestion, will try to make that switch work, actually I have bought another switch as well with auto folding button as well but as I tested it did not plug in door wiring.

about pricing:
switch was around $20
mirror was around $50

tell me which year is your IS and will help you to find, I have seen all generation IS mirrors there

Where did you get the switch for 20.00? Same with the mirrors? this link you provided show them for like over 250.00 USD Also did you end up getting the new switch to work? or did you leave the original switch and opt of the automatic folding option. Any info would be most appreciated. I really want to do this to my IS
Old 01-05-24, 03:46 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

I'll post the updates in this thread for we1rdoo to follow along.
I received the mirrors today, I tested one and it works

Thanks again we1rdoo for the hook up!

Sneak peak:
Old 01-05-24, 04:55 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 34 Posts

Sweet! Please do, how much did the mirrors cost you? did you get them from www.fromjapan.co.jp also how was the shipping if you did. this is the most info Ive been able to find so far
Old 01-05-24, 11:02 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCJACKAL
Sweet! Please do, how much did the mirrors cost you? did you get them from www.fromjapan.co.jp also how was the shipping if you did. this is the most info Ive been able to find so far
$500 CDN, which includes the shipping, packing and duties (from that same site).
we1rdoo helped with the search and it took less than 3 weeks to receive (I used DHL).

Just a tip, marking it as a gift didn't avoid duties.
I've taken one apart and it all works, I'll get the relays and extra wire later this week, but it will be straight forward (if you follow the diagram that I posted in this thread).

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Auto folding mirrors