IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

SmartAccess / Driver's side handle locking issue - Can't unlock driver's door

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 08:20 AM
CBFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmartAccess / Driver's side handle locking issue - Can't unlock driver's door

Hey everyone,

Just got my first lexus a 2009 IS250. Love it so far, but I have a particular issue on the smartlock system.

The system LOCKS all doors okay (well, the rear passenger side is dead, but that's the motor itself in that door, it doesn't work with any power lock methods...soon to be replaced, so let's pretend it works fine for the passenger rear, but in case this was pertinent, I thought I'd share)

So...a few key points.
1) The keyfob locks/unlocks all four doors just fine. (except right rear as noted above). Very consistent.
2) The passenger and drivers door smartlock (lock button in handle), lock the doors all just fine.
3) The passenger and drivers door smartlock will NOT unlock the driver's side door, but the other doors unlock fine. Once this happens, it will also NOT allow the keyfob to unlock the driver's side door either.
4) Once I crawl across from the passenger side, and manually unlock the door, the keyfob goes back to locking and unlocking just fine...but doing steps 2 and 3 always yields the same results.

I found this rather strange, as I'd assume the sensor/switch in the smartlock system simply would send an electrical signal to the main locking system, and send the actuators in motion. I wouldn't expect it would some how "lock out" the receipt of the unlock signal...although I guess if it somehow is corrupted to refuse to recognize a keyfob present, that could block the signal from being locally sent.

Not sure if my logic is all right on the control system...but has anyone ever seen this behavior?

I haven't yet taken door panels off (waiting for it to get warmer) so I haven't seen what it all looks like in there, and I like to pre-order parts before I start pulling panels off, so any advance advice on what I'm going to need to attack here is helpful. I'm well versed in removing door panels, replacing window actuators and door locks, but want to make sure I have the right parts on hand when I start this so I can get it done in one afternoon.

Thanks in advance,

D