RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hi All, New Member Needs Advice about Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 09:50 AM
ezduzit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi All, New Member Needs Advice about Door Locks

I'm the original owner of a 2003 RX 300. After reading several threads about door lock actuators, I realize this is a common problem with these models. None of the threads I have read answer my exact question, so I thought I would ask for some ideas from this membership.

My driver's door lock works all the locks in my car except the passenger door. So, I replaced the passenger door lock actuator thinking this was the source of the problem. Unfortunately, the replacement of the passenger door lock did not fix the problem. I still have to lock and unlock the passenger door independently. The driver's door control will not engage the passenger door lock, however when the driver's lock control is activated, I can hear a clicking sound coming from inside my passenger door.

Is it possible that my driver's door lock actuator could be engaging and disengaging all the locks on my car except the passenger door?

Thank you for any suggestions or advice.

Tom

Last edited by ezduzit; 07-11-16 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 06:50 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I waited a bit to see if sone one would respond and it seems it would help if you could give us more info.

1. Does the passenger door lock/unlock with remote?

2. Does the passenger side door lock/unlock with the driver side switch (not the lobe next to release lever)?

3. Does the passenger side door lock/unlock with the passenger side switch?

4. DO you hear mechanical effort on the passenger side even if the door does not lock?

5. Is the door lock smooth and easy to engage/release worth the key in the passenger door? The lobe next to the please lever.

Salim
Old 07-12-16, 07:08 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder I if you didn't reconnect the linkages within the door or they were not connected to start with. Those steel levers that go up to the lock button. The best place to start is by removing the door panel and observe the function while you test it.
Old 07-13-16, 08:16 AM
ezduzit
Driver School Candidate

Salim, Thank you for taking the time and interest to assist me with my problem. The answers to your questions in the order asked are:
1. No
2. No
3. No, although the passenger side switch controls the other door locks, just not the pass. door.
4. Yes
5. Yes

Since asking the question, I've learned there is a door lock module located somewhere under the dash that could be the problem. Your thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 07-13-16, 11:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I think you need to go back to the linkage in the passenger door, sounds like a rod fell off......or lock mechanism is loose.
Old 07-13-16, 01:29 PM
salimshah

My vote is a bad lock/unlock motor or wire/connector to the motor. Check the worm gear set up again to ensure nothing is binding and the tip of the shaft is not hitting the edge.

The door lock actuator is a marvel where mechanically redundant release mechanism by different rods allow exit in case of an accident. These rods usually do not interfere with the other and my question #5 was to cover this.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-13-16 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 02:52 PM
ezduzit
Driver School Candidate

When I connected the two linkage rods there were plastic clips that secured the rods in place. Not sure how I could have left one un-clipped.

Salim, when you suggest I have a bad lock/unlock motor or wire, are these parts of the lock actuator? As I stated earlier, I replaced the lock actuator with a working one. Any comments on door lock module?
Thank you
Old 07-13-16, 03:29 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Ez, we are all just guessing here. Lots of what if or how comes. And as much fun as it is to play guess what, you will in the end, need to take off the door panel and function test it where you can see whats going on or whats not going on in your case.

Good luck
Old 07-13-16, 04:19 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ezduzit
When I connected the two linkage rods there were plastic clips that secured the rods in place. Not sure how I could have left one un-clipped.

Salim, when you suggest I have a bad lock/unlock motor or wire, are these parts of the lock actuator? As I stated earlier, I replaced the lock actuator with a working one. Any comments on door lock module?
Thank you
DrCoffe stated it correctly .. that we are following our hunches.
Since you are getting a feeble attempt to lock ...
My reasoning is the problem is unique in the door assembly and most likely something is binding the motor from spinning up. It could be purely mechanical where the worm gear is sticking ... a mm above or below its proper position. New motors does not mean it is 'working'. The wires may be severed or pinched, restricting the juice.

Like all debugging one has to pick one path and start tracing and then try the next one.

Another one would be the linkages.

Salim
Old 07-13-16, 05:20 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Having changed many actuators, I expect it is a linkage issue. Replacing with a new actuator makes it more unlikely that the actuator is the issue.

Ezduzit, did you replace with an OEM actuator or aftermarket?