Just sold my IS250 - my honest thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 03:39 AM
OrokuSaki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Just sold my IS250 - my honest thoughts

Hey,

I had IS250 for 1.5 years, had plenty of fun with it. However, I had to sell it. I made a list of my thoughts about this car, and I just want to share these with you. Feel free to comment, disagree or agree with my points.

Pros:
- Bullet proof car. This thing just does not break down. I had no single problem with this car. None.
- Looks really nice, especially from rear
- IS250 is fast (acceleration) for 2.5l engine, it does outrun many other 2.5-3.0 cars
- Gearbox is perfect. Super smooth, really quick, never had any problems
- Comfortable to drive. I've driven 3000 km (~1800 miles) in week with this car with no problems at all
- Good front lights
- Easy to drive in winter (I mean real winter)
- Always starts, never had any problems with starting. Once I had car outside for whole night in -38 C (-36.4 F) and started it in morning (still same temp) without pre-heating, and no problems at all. Starts super quickly without problems
- Easy to handle, easy to put TC completely off. Really easy to drift and have fun
- A lot of equipment and nice interior. I had beige leather and electric seats with memory, etc
- Pretty decent size trunk. However, rear seats doesn't fall down

Cons:
- Bad paint job. I think the color (black) was good, and it looks beautiful. However, it started to crack from everywhere. Even little rock/sand hits the paintjob, it always leaves some crack on paintjob etc. I think it wasn't just good enough
- Way too much small rattles in interior. My IS didn't rattle on smooth road, but even little bump on the road and door panels, doors, etc were rattling. I think it wasn't good enough for Lexus. This is actually one of the reasons I wanted to sell this car.
- Engine is not powerful enough. 2.5l is powerful for 2.5l. However, I think car which looks like this, and has so good handling and gearbox, needs more power. I'm quite sure that 3.5l engine is perfect for IS. However, in Europe.. We don't have that. Only 2.5l or... diesel. You guys in USA are so lucky to have proper cars with proper engines.
- Front seat adjustments are not enough for long legged person
- Cooled seats are pointless. Those are not way too underpowered, and doesn't cool your back almost at all

Overall there are not that many bad things with the car. The only real reason why I really sold it, was that small 2.5l engine. I really like how this car looks, but it needs more power.
And yeah, my car was 2007, with only 170000 km (105600 miles). That's pretty much nothing in this country. Average age for car here is ~15-17yrs and average mileage is around ~400000 km (~250000 miles). So yeah, my car was pretty new here.

For now, I'm planning to get new GS450H or find imported 2nd gen IS350 from somewhere in Europe. GS450H would be more new, more fresh, etc. But IS350 would be real sports car, with proper gears and a lot of power and quick handling. Difficult decision.

Last edited by OrokuSaki; 05-22-19 at 03:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikeym718 (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 06:57 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for sharing

agree with most of your points. However my IS has no rattling issues.

Paint isnt as good quality As my LS cars, but it isnt as expensive as any LS. My paint is above average compared to other manufacturers. And at $48,000 new, I am happy with the value

enjoy your new ride
Old 05-22-19, 12:23 PM
OrokuSaki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Thanks for sharing

agree with most of your points. However my IS has no rattling issues.

Paint isnt as good quality As my LS cars, but it isnt as expensive as any LS. My paint is above average compared to other manufacturers. And at $48,000 new, I am happy with the value

enjoy your new ride
Rattling could be related to weather conditions in Finland. Temperature is going between 30 to -40 C. It's pretty harsh for plastic, etc.
Old 05-22-19, 12:50 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with you on most points....especially on the ones below

1.Paint
2.Slow
Additions
3.Carbon build Up.....
4.Rubber interior
Old 05-22-19, 01:46 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I enjoy my ventilated seats! During the warmest summer days here in SC, I can definitely feel the temp difference. However, you're not the only one that has mentioned this.

Wish you luck on locating a IS350 there! I definitely agree the 3.5L is the ONLY engine worth having in this model.
Old 05-28-19, 01:33 AM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was going to post my "real" thoughts on the IS250, but I'm glad you did. There are lots of things to love about it but I hate a few things.

Issue 1:

I'm a tall guy and my left leg rubs against the door panel way too much. In fact, I bought it from another tall guy and the door panel has a big wear mark from his leg.

Issue 2:

Why are the window controls so far down. I mean it's not the space shuttle, make them easy to reach!

Issue 3:

I don't blame the car, but what is with the auto unlock function? Sometimes I walk by it at work it wants to unlock. I wasn't getting in Lexus!

Issue 4:

Where is the auto adjust feature on the steering wheel? My old lexus had this why not a 2006?

Overall its a fine car. If you complain about the 2.5L you should have bought the 3.5. I have had plenty of 400rwhp 2.5L so displacement is not the problem. I love the cooled seats though. I am coming from a 2001 GS with black leather and the seats always were hot. So a little fan on my backside when its 100 degrees out is much appreciated.

All facts no hate!
Old 05-28-19, 04:13 AM
OrokuSaki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CIGLexus
I was going to post my "real" thoughts on the IS250, but I'm glad you did. There are lots of things to love about it but I hate a few things.

Issue 1:

I'm a tall guy and my left leg rubs against the door panel way too much. In fact, I bought it from another tall guy and the door panel has a big wear mark from his leg.

Issue 2:

Why are the window controls so far down. I mean it's not the space shuttle, make them easy to reach!

Issue 3:

I don't blame the car, but what is with the auto unlock function? Sometimes I walk by it at work it wants to unlock. I wasn't getting in Lexus!

Issue 4:

Where is the auto adjust feature on the steering wheel? My old lexus had this why not a 2006?

Overall its a fine car. If you complain about the 2.5L you should have bought the 3.5. I have had plenty of 400rwhp 2.5L so displacement is not the problem. I love the cooled seats though. I am coming from a 2001 GS with black leather and the seats always were hot. So a little fan on my backside when its 100 degrees out is much appreciated.

All facts no hate!
I agree with issue 2(!). I usually kept opening my back window instead of front window, because buttons were so far away. It was pretty funny sometimes. Luckily not that big deal.

Issue 3 is strange, you didn't even touch the door handle? My car enables mirrors lights when I walk around it, but it does not unlock the car. It only unlocks doors when I touch the door handle.

And issue 4, auto adjust, you mean when you stop / start the car, steering wheel adjusts itself? At least I had that on my '07 model.