IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Overheating, Coolant spray, No heat - Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 06:37 PM
Dvate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating, Coolant spray, No heat - Please Help!!!!

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD. I just took my car to a repair facility to have the fuel pressure sensor and Gasket replaced because the VSC light was coming on and then eventually it wouldn't start anymore. It also ended up needing a new battery. In addition there was a pretty good leak coming from the hose connected to the radiator which at first was thought to be the hose clamp. When they attempted to replace the hose clamp and pulled the hose off a crack in the radiator was found. Had the repair shop replace the radiator. Total cost was $967.30 fir everything. Picked up the car tonight didn't get more than 15 miles before I noticed a strange smell looked at my dash and saw my temperature gauge close to being pegged at red. I pulled over right away into a gas station and as soon as I stopped and turned off the engine steam started coming out from under the hood. Not a lot but some and only for about a minute. No steam or other signs of overheating were seen prior to turning off my car. Towed my car back to the repair facility which of course is closed until Monday. I bought the vehicle used and have owned it for about 5 months.The heater has not worked in the car ever since I bought it unless the car is traveling about 40 mph or more and only after it's been running for at least 15 minutes or more depending on how cold it is out. Checked both the hose at the top of the radiator and the one underneath and both the clamps have been replaced and there is no visible leak coming from either of these two hoses. When I opened the hood after I pulled over coolant was sprayed all over the engine compartment on both the passenger and driver side of the vehicle and all underneath the car. After it cooled down a bit turned the vehicle on for a few seconds to see if I could find where the leak was coming from but when I squeezed on both the top hose and bottom hose to the radiator both were empty most likely because of how much coolant was lost and couldn't see any visible signs of coolant spraying out. Immediately shut the engine off. My best guess is either the radiator they replaced is bad, the water pump, the heater core, or the thermostat. My question is I assume they pressure-tested the system after they replaced the radiator which should have shown whether there was a problem with the radiator correct? In regard to the water pump when they were diagnosing the leak wouldn't have this been something that should have been checked before the radiator was replaced as well? Has anything I have mentioned indicate one of these parts as being more likely to be the reason for the car overheating? Please help!!!!! I just paid a lot of money to have my car fixed only to have it break down 10 minutes after I picked it up. I want to make sure this mechanic isn't screwing me around and didn't have me pay for a radiator replacement when it wasn't necessary and I just want to know what needs to be done to have my car finally fixed. I would really appreciate any input you guys could give me. Thanks so much :-)
Old 04-28-19, 12:53 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,242 Posts

The heater core is inside the cabin and not suspect or your cabin would be flooded with hot coolant. That said it not heating well that sounds like a heater control issue. Note my 350 takes 7+min to blow warm air when temps are in the low 40°F.

That said if the tank upper hose to radiator was broke, they should be able to show you this. And yes, they should be doing a pressure test but sometimes something so obvious can lead to mistakes and missing details.

Sorry but without knowing where the leak was we can't offer much assistance. That said had they not properly purged the system it could have boiled over, dumped the coolant into the reservoir, overfilled the reservoir and sprayed out then.

My point is the fill method could have been the whole cause and there is no other leak OR they missed something and there is a leak to be found. Heck, a bad pressure cap could have caused this too.

Work with them. Talk with them. See what they say and what their explanation is.
Old 04-28-19, 04:41 PM
Dvate
Driver School Candidate

Default What about the thermostat or the water pump?

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
The heater core is inside the cabin and not suspect or your cabin would be flooded with hot coolant. That said it not heating well that sounds like a heater control issue. Note my 350 takes 7+min to blow warm air when temps are in the low 40°F.

That said if the tank upper hose to radiator was broke, they should be able to show you this. And yes, they should be doing a pressure test but sometimes something so obvious can lead to mistakes and missing details.

Sorry but without knowing where the leak was we can't offer much assistance. That said had they not properly purged the system it could have boiled over, dumped the coolant into the reservoir, overfilled the reservoir and sprayed out then.

My point is the fill method could have been the whole cause and there is no other leak OR they missed something and there is a leak to be found. Heck, a bad pressure cap could have caused this too.

Work with them. Talk with them. See what they say and what their explanation is.
My worst fear is that it could be the water pump which is a costly repair from the research I've done. I was thinking it might possibly also be a bad thermostat. Are either of these two possibly causes for this you think? If it's the thermostat at least that is an inexpensive repair. I did check the top hose and clamp and the leak is definitely not coming from there. I couldn't tell whether it was coming from the bottom hose or not which there was a new clamp on it because the entire underside of the engine was soaked with coolant and there wasn't enough coolant in it for it to be spraying out anywhere for me to determine where the leak was exactly coming from. If it just boiled over and came out of the Overflow and Reservoir would it still be sprayed all over the engine compartment possibly from the fan. Then like you said it might not be a leak at all instead they just didn't Purge the system properly. I really appreciate any advice you can give. I'm just concerned I might be looking at a water pump replacement which after spending $1,000 is the last thing I want to have to replace.Thanks so much.
Old 04-28-19, 04:48 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

A water pump is a simple job on these cars. The Aisin part on Amazon is less than $100, and should at most take 1-2 hours to DIY (including filling with coolant/testing). 2-3 bottles of Toyota pink, or whatever equivalent of coolant will be required as well.

DIY guide: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...the-is250.html
Part: https://smile.amazon.com/Aisin-WPT-1...gateway&sr=8-3
Old 04-29-19, 02:04 AM
Dvate
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the link for the part. I really wish I had the time or capability to do a DIY project but I work all the time and I'm a girl. Even though I know a lot about cars I don't have the mechanical ability to put it into practice What do you think would be a reasonable estimate to have this replaced at a shop? I've read online some crazy amounts that people have paid. Unfortunately I just have this feeling that it's going to be the water pump because that's just how things go for me. How would my radiator have gotten a crack in it in the first place? Could a malfunctioning water pump cause such damage? I just want to make sure that I actually needed the radiator replaced in the first place. I live an hour away from the repair shop because there are no honest mechanics in the entire County that I ive in. Lol. So I didn't get to look at the actual radiator and confirm that there was a crack in it. Now of course after I drove away and the car started overheating and leaked coolant everywhere, I'm wondering if the radiator was really the issue.
Old 04-29-19, 08:51 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Not that you'll rest easier but for the most part water pumps do not dump all your coolant in a blaze of glory. I'll hedge a bet and say it's something else! As for the radiator, after years of heat/pressure cycles they fail at the expansion tanks.

Failure to purge properly?
A mistake made like leaving something loose?

Likely something plastic failed....
Ask questions that yield truthful answers. Ask to see what they are talking about. As in, have them show you!
Old 06-01-19, 06:39 AM
LimpnLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if the OP ever got this fixed or if they're still dealing with it?