IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please help!!!!! [CEL and noise after tuneup]

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 04:49 AM
NitaPita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!!!! [CEL and noise after tuneup]

So I hope that I'm posting this in the right place.. I have used this website to find answers to many of my issues in the past and now I have finally made an account and decided to ask for advice on this. I have a 2012 Lexus IS250. I asked my husband to replace the brakes and he decided to give the car a tune up and do some maintenance. While changing the cabin air filter, he broke the actuator and we are waiting to see if the glue will hold as a fix (got the idea here). Last night he changed the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body. Today when he started it up, the check engine light came on and this truly scary and weird sound is coming from the intake area. It is VERY loud and continuous whether or not you step on the gas. We didn't attempt to move it but he did step on the gas and the sound just gets louder. ANY ideas?! I love my Lexus so much.. I'm heartbroken right now..

I have a 20 second video but no clue how to upload it.
Old 12-04-18, 05:43 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Would be interested in the video to hear what the noise is. I would not start the car and have him pull one of the spark plugs and verify they are the correct length. Could be a few things but normally start with the simplest first like checking for forgotten tool or a connector that wasn't plugged back in.
Old 12-04-18, 05:55 AM
NitaPita
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hondabuff
Would be interested in the video to hear what the noise is. I would not start the car and have him pull one of the spark plugs and verify they are the correct length. Could be a few things but normally start with the simplest first like checking for forgotten tool or a connector that wasn't plugged back in.
Thank you for your reply. I can email the video clip to you.. I can't get out on this thread..he says he did the spark plugs just fine but he thinks after reading all the different throttle body comments throughout this site that maybe cleaner got inside and didn't evaporate. I know ZERO about cars other than I LOVE my IS250 but I guess I'm learning now. I'm so terrified that something is messed up. The sound is horrendous and he kept turning it back on to see if it would go away..I don't think it's driveable at this point. He's going to scan for a code in a few mins. The sound is very loud. Sounds like it's coming from the actual throttle body. He sprayed the cleaner directly on it and didn't disconnect the battery..not sure if the battery part even matters but after trying to search for what the issue could be I've come across a lot of do's and donts. I asked for brakes and he was trying to do a tune up and so far it's gone horribly bad because nothing was wrong with my car prior.. 😥
Old 12-04-18, 06:00 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

You can upload the video to here for free then post the link. http://sendvid.com/
Old 12-04-18, 06:04 AM
NitaPita
Driver School Candidate

You can upload the video to here for free then post the link. http://sendvid.com/

Thank you for the link!!! So cool!

Here's my video clip of the horrible sound..

http://sendvid.com/glvn8e3n
Old 12-04-18, 06:10 AM
NitaPita
Driver School Candidate

These codes came up just now..are these fixable things?!

Code P0102 (mass or volume air flow)
Code P0305 (cylinder 5)
Code P0303 (cylinder 3)
Old 12-04-18, 06:17 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Sounds like the car is running on 5 cylinders to me. Does the car have an aftermarket exhaust on it? Is the chirpy sound coming from the throttle body?
Old 12-04-18, 06:21 AM
NitaPita
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the car is running on 5 cylinders to me. Does the car have an aftermarket exhaust on it? Is the chirpy sound coming from the throttle body?
NOTHING after market on my car.. Yes, it really sounds like it's coming from the throttle body and my husband said he didn't see the flap moving when the gas pedal was pressed last night. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the car..just needed rear brakes..
Old 12-04-18, 06:36 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Originally Posted by NitaPita
These codes came up just now..are these fixable things?!

Code P0102 (mass or volume air flow)
Code P0305 (cylinder 5)
Code P0303 (cylinder 3)
I would check to see if the molex plugs that connect to the coil packs. Cylinder 3 and 5 and the ones directly under the intake. I would also pull the Mass airflow sensor that sits on top the intake tube. Unplug and replug it back in. Could be dirty or just not hooked up. I would bet money that the connectors need reseated. Also, Did he set the gap on the spark plugs?
Old 12-04-18, 06:43 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the cylinder to numbers to help identify the location. I'd check the connections again as suggested. Make sure you hear the connector click in. What type of cleaner did you use? Did you get that cleaner on the MAF as well? I know that MAF ususally has a specific cleaner for it.

Old 12-04-18, 06:51 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Originally Posted by Phantom_89
This is the cylinder to numbers to help identify the location. I'd check the connections again as suggested. Make sure you hear the connector click in. What type of cleaner did you use? Did you get that cleaner on the MAF as well? I know that MAF ususally has a specific cleaner for it.

Parts cleaner on the MAF might have killed it. That's a $100ish part at AutoZone if its indeed dead.
Old 12-04-18, 07:13 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Check that the throttle body connector is plugged in.

I would double check all my work in this situation.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 12-04-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:56 PM
Gville350

Received 431 Likes on 384 Posts

Folks cleaning the throttle body tend to be too forceful on the butterfly and might cause the plastic gears within the TB assembly to break and cause the butterfly plate no longer to function. But of course, double-check the connector to the TB first!
Old 12-04-18, 04:42 PM
NitaPita
Driver School Candidate

I'm still waiting for him to get home from work to recheck his steps but he thinks that it's the butterfly like the last person suggested. I'll update when I know and I truly appreciate everyone's responses!!
Old 12-05-18, 04:46 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Folks cleaning the throttle body tend to be too forceful on the butterfly and might cause the plastic gears within the TB assembly to break and cause the butterfly plate no longer to function. But of course, double-check the connector to the TB first!
That might explain that crazy noise from the throttle body area. Will be following this post to see what the fix turns out to be.

Quick Reply: Please help!!!!! [CEL and noise after tuneup]