Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013)
Transmission Downshifting When Tapping Brakes Going Downhill >

Transmission Downshifting When Tapping Brakes Going Downhill

Notices
IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission Downshifting When Tapping Brakes Going Downhill

 
Old 11-14-18, 06:20 AM
  #1  
T513
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
T513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Downshifting When Tapping Brakes Going Downhill

I noticed twice yesterday my transmission downshifting by itself going down hills when I tapped the brake. The first time it was 5th to 4th. Is that normal, it definitely felt unnatural.

2008 is250 awd ~84k miles
T513 is offline  
Old 11-14-18, 07:45 AM
  #2  
Petet
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mass
Posts: 186
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

My 08 350 does it. I believe itís normal
I like that option.
Petet is offline  
The following users liked this post:
T513 (11-14-18)
Old 11-14-18, 08:35 AM
  #3  
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
timmy0tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 909/626/714, SoCal
Posts: 4,845
Received 116 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

my car does it too and I understand it doesn't feel normal.
it really depends on what load the engine is experiencing for the trans to kick down a gear under braking, but it's entirely normal.

put the car in ECT PWR (press the button to the right of the steering column) and see if there is a change in downshifting.
for sure it will change the upshifting!
timmy0tool is offline  
The following users liked this post:
T513 (11-14-18)
Old 11-14-18, 08:52 AM
  #4  
T513
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
T513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
my car does it too and I understand it doesn't feel normal.
it really depends on what load the engine is experiencing for the trans to kick down a gear under braking, but it's entirely normal.

put the car in ECT PWR (press the button to the right of the steering column) and see if there is a change in downshifting.
for sure it will change the upshifting!
Good to know, thanks..
I could search but would leaving it PWR affect mpg? The car is already thirsty..

T513 is offline  
Old 11-14-18, 10:22 AM
  #5  
EZLex
Rookie
 
EZLex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 63
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I believe its normal. Does it in ECT PWR too, i always leave mine on. I always thought it was the the car using engine braking to help slow down.
EZLex is offline  
The following users liked this post:
T513 (11-14-18)
Old 11-14-18, 11:08 AM
  #6  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,417
Likes: 0
Received 124 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Completely normal.
Gville350 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
T513 (11-14-18)
Old 11-16-18, 07:46 AM
  #7  
MNEWGEN
Driver School Candidate
 
MNEWGEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 46
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by T513 View Post
I noticed twice yesterday my transmission downshifting by itself going down hills when I tapped the brake. The first time it was 5th to 4th. Is that normal, it definitely felt unnatural.

2008 is250 awd ~84k miles
My 11 IS350 does the same too so that's normal. Once you step on the gas, it'll shift up itself
MNEWGEN is offline  
Old 11-17-18, 01:26 PM
  #8  
2013FSport
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
2013FSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OR
Posts: 2,187
Received 234 Likes on 222 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MNEWGEN View Post
My 11 IS350 does the same too so that's normal. Once you step on the gas, it'll shift up itself

At speeds over 60mph, on a declining grade, it takes a lot of throttle to get back to 6th. The hill in question is very repeatable. Placing in S mode reduces this a lot but sometimes it jumps down a gear or two just getting to S.

For the most part I get it into S while climbing the hill so that when I crest the hill I have it in a desirable gear and won't downshift from brake taps....

OP - yes, completely normal.
Try it!
2013FSport is offline  
Old 11-19-18, 02:04 PM
  #9  
timmy0tool
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
timmy0tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 909/626/714, SoCal
Posts: 4,845
Received 116 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2013FSport View Post
Placing in S mode reduces this a lot but sometimes it jumps down a gear or two just getting to S.
from my experience going into S mode always results in 4.
this means if you're cruising at highway speeds above 60mph, going into S mode will downshift you into 4th!
if you're at city speeds under 40mph, going into S mode will still show 4, but will only shift up to that point until you manually shift up.
timmy0tool is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 12:06 AM
  #10  
peanut220
Driver School Candidate
 
peanut220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 34
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2013FSport View Post
At speeds over 60mph, on a declining grade, it takes a lot of throttle to get back to 6th. The hill in question is very repeatable. Placing in S mode reduces this a lot but sometimes it jumps down a gear or two just getting to S.

For the most part I get it into S while climbing the hill so that when I crest the hill I have it in a desirable gear and won't downshift from brake taps....

OP - yes, completely normal.
Try it!
i noticed what youíre saying too. My 06 is350 downshifted to 4th and it holds It for about 0.5-1 mile some times before hitting 5th then 6th is this normal? Then sometimes it doesnít. No matter if I let of the gas or tap it doesnít change it. Only flooring it hard will. This is in hilly terrain only. On normal grades itís perfect shifting.
peanut220 is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 02:14 PM
  #11  
2013FSport
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
2013FSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: OR
Posts: 2,187
Received 234 Likes on 222 Posts
Default

Another thread on the same topic....
Brake tap induced downshift
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ue-or-not.html

Mine is very consistent >50mph if in 5th, stays in 5th. If in 6th, stays in 6th.
If <40mph, 99% of the time it limits at 4th. When below operating temp and crawling it may go to 1st or 4th.

Mods: if you stumble upon this, maybe merge this thread into the linked thread?
2013FSport is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Downshifting When Tapping Brakes Going Downhill


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: