IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Noise / Clunk when shifting to Drive or Reverse from Neutual

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 12:54 AM
Zihuatanej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise / Clunk when shifting to Drive or Reverse from Neutual

Hi guys, just bought a 2011 IS 250 RWD Automatic, everything works fine except one thing: when I put the shift from P or N into D or R, after a very short period of time ( like 0.2s, but just not immediately ), I could hear one clunk noise from the back of the car, and the car gently shakes once at the same time. It's feels like the transmission wants to make the car move but the brake is still engaged ( as of course, my foot presses on the brake pedal when I shift from N to D or R ).

Just to clarify that the brake pads are new, the dealer had put them on before I picked up the car. But can't tell the brand of the pads and how good they are. My friend who owns a MB C200 also has this very same issue and he says it's normal. But I just don't think it ' normal ' as my other Honda Fit doesn't have this issue at all, and that's a much cheaper car.

Tried to search this issue in the forum but could not find an answer, so any input is very appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-06-18, 02:46 PM
ianbis
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your Honda Fit is a FWD vehicle it does not have a driveshaft. It has axles with CV joints that transfer the power from the transmission to the wheels. Or in other words connect the transmission to the wheels.<br /><br />Your Lexus is RWD, it has a driveshaft that connects the transmission to the rear end and the rear end has axles that transfer the power to the wheels. If your clunk is a metallic clunk do the following:<br /><br />Place car in Park, engage the emergency brake, jack up the car and put it on jackstands, get under the car and grab the driveshaft and shake it to see if there is any "play" turn it clockwise and anti clockwise and see if there is any "play" or noise do this up near the trans where the driveshaft goes into the trans, do it in the middle of the driveshaft and also back where the driveshaft joins the rear end. If you can feel "play" or you hear the clunk then your universal joints on the driveshaft are bad.<br /><br />I don't recall if the driveshaft has an intermediate bearing/joint but if it does check that bearing & universal joints as well.

Last edited by ianbis; 06-06-18 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zihuatanej (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 09:19 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

it's normal.
Old 06-06-18, 10:42 PM
Zihuatanej
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XSV
it's normal.
Thank you! That's a relief but still a little bit annoying.
And I now feel sometimes when I release the brake pad and start from a complete stop, the same kind of clunk also occurs. I assume that's also normal, right?
Old 06-06-18, 10:44 PM
Zihuatanej
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mate you are awesome!
Old 06-07-18, 08:53 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zihuatanej
Thank you! That's a relief but still a little bit annoying.
And I now feel sometimes when I release the brake pad and start from a complete stop, the same kind of clunk also occurs. I assume that's also normal, right?
the noise when shifting from P to R or P to D or D to P is normal. Now, what you are describing doesn't sound normal.
Old 06-07-18, 01:32 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

For that test to work you need to have some movement.
With car in the air wheels blocked, brake on, place the trans in Neutral and turn the key off.

Now get under it and inspect the drive shaft. It has two sections with a u-joint in the middle and flex couplers at both ends. It is also supported in the middle by a bearing mounted in rubber. The rubber mount is often times the week link followed by the U -joint. Inspect by pushing/pulling up and down looking for cracks in the rubber mount. If the joint is bad, it may show signs of red rust coming out of the 4 caps.
Inspect rubber couplers for tears and rear axles for tears in the boots letting the grease out!

Make sense?