IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone Ever Install A Racing Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 04:06 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Anyone Ever Install A Racing Seat?

I want to change out the drivers seat with a MOMO. The factory seat is comfortable but its heavy and not supportive. When I corner hard I slide to the edge of the seat.

I installed a SPARCO seat in my Eclipse Turbo a while ago (done by STILLEN) but back then it was easy with a manual seat and no seat sensors or airbags.

Has anyone ever installed a race seat in an IS? What do you do about the sensors, power motors, rails, etc??

??
Old 04-22-18, 06:47 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 11:14 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I had a Sparco R100 seat and fixed bracket installed within my IS350 for a few months. What I did was before installation, I purchased an extra, used OEM driver's seat buckle attachment and harness from of ebay, and attached it onto the Sparco bracket. The bracket had a place to mount the buckle attachment. So at least when I had the seat installed, I could get by without the buckle alert going off. BUT, since the OEM seat airbags are no longer there, you will have an airbag warning light displaying on your cluster. I got over it after a couple of weeks.

I can tell you this, having that seat installed made the car feel like a go cart. MUCH lower to the ground AND of course the nice bolstering on all sides.

If it wasn't clear earlier, I used the OEM seat belt.

BTW, in a road car without a roll bar, it is recommended to have a folding aftermarket seat and not a fixed position seat. Safety thing, in case of an accident.
The following users liked this post:
Ken167 (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 01:38 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. I have cipher seats in my car.

Disconnect your car battery before starting, so the airbags dont deploy while unplugging.
You simply unplug the heating/cooling function on the bottom of the seat. Then unscrew the car seat bracket from the bottom of the car frame (easiest to do when you pull the seat all the way up to get the rear bolts and all seat all the way back for the front bolts)

1 x Planted seat bracket

1 x extra seat belt latch (the factory ones are sensored and attached to the oem seats), Although, you could cut the wires and bolt it onto the bracket.

Also to note, aftermarket seats disable airbags in your car because you need to disconnect the wire to install your new seats. You will also have a little airbag light on your dash since it is disconnected.
Ken167 (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 02:06 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Might be worth looking into some IS-F seats. More bolstering. Those racing seats are super uncomfortable.
Old 04-26-18, 09:47 AM
Gville350

Unplugging the battery was something I did not do while installing/removing my seats. And no, my airbags didn't deploy. LOL!

Though I never rode in my car longer than an hour straight, I didn't find my reclineable Sparco seats uncomfortable at all. You have to get the right seat for your size. The R100 is about the most size-friendly seat out there. So at 210 lbs at the time, I sat comfortably. I'm 170 now, so I can fit into anything! WOOT!
Old 04-26-18, 11:02 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

a cheap way to "hold" yourself in your seat is to push against the dead pedal with your left foot as you corner.
not really ideal but better than sliding off your seat!
Ken167 (04-26-18)
Old 04-26-18, 06:26 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 07:44 PM
Ken167
Instructor

I spoke with Road Race Engineering who modded my Eclipse in the past and they can do the Lexus seat install for $150 I just need to bring the seat, floor mount and side brackets

Old 04-26-18, 08:03 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gville350
I had a Sparco R100 seat and fixed bracket installed within my IS350 for a few months. What I did was before installation, I purchased an extra, used OEM driver's seat buckle attachment and harness from of ebay, and attached it onto the Sparco bracket. The bracket had a place to mount the buckle attachment. So at least when I had the seat installed, I could get by without the buckle alert going off. BUT, since the OEM seat airbags are no longer there, you will have an airbag warning light displaying on your cluster. I got over it after a couple of weeks.

I can tell you this, having that seat installed made the car feel like a go cart. MUCH lower to the ground AND of course the nice bolstering on all sides.

If it wasn't clear earlier, I used the OEM seat belt.

BTW, in a road car without a roll bar, it is recommended to have a folding aftermarket seat and not a fixed position seat. Safety thing, in case of an accident.
I was looking at the SPARCO R100 black vinyl I like that one better than the MOMO--R100 still racy but priced less and looks easier to get in and out.
Old 04-27-18, 11:17 AM
Gville350

Yeah, that all black seat looks nicer. Mine is a black/blue cloth R100. Still made well, and even over the couple of months of using it, the lower side-bolstering near did show any amount of wear from getting in and out like cheaper brands. Still looks new! Something to look out for though is the reclining handles on both sides of the R100 seat are very poorly constructed and mine were broken (on both sides) upon delivery.
Old 04-27-18, 01:57 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yeah, that all black seat looks nicer. Mine is a black/blue cloth R100. Still made well, and even over the couple of months of using it, the lower side-bolstering near did show any amount of wear from getting in and out like cheaper brands. Still looks new! Something to look out for though is the reclining handles on both sides of the R100 seat are very poorly constructed and mine were broken (on both sides) upon delivery.
Ok cool. I stopped by Sparco Irvine today they had an R100 in the showroom I sat in it its nice. But the black vinyl one is backordered 4-6 weeks
Old 04-27-18, 09:43 PM
soleeasii
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the above is great info. I've had 2 sets of seats prior, my first set were Recaro SRD (similar to those found in a Integra Type-R), loved the seat but didn't love the bolsters. I currently run BRIDE XAX (leather) so it matches the rest of the interior and that model has no bolsters. As mentioned prior both seats I was sitting fairly lower than the OEM seats, and the air bag light is constantly on. I didn't buy extra buckles I simply cut the black tape and unplugged the clip that was attached to the OEM buckle. I do miss the AC/ Heated features but I just tell myself I never had it in any of my previous cars. Also I was told that you can use a resistor to prevent the air bag light from flashing but I don't know which one to use. Also if you are having trouble finding flat brackets for your car its the same bracket they use on the IS300.. there is 2 sets of holes that you are able to use and that bracket lines ryte up to the first set of holes!
Ken167 (04-28-18)
Old 04-30-18, 04:35 PM
djiawan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had race seats in my previous cars. I now have ISF seats and they are great. airbags and heat is fully functional but still love the feel of sitting and driving hard in a race seat. Will probably get a new set of race seats to use in the summer and keep the OEM ISF seats for the winter. Don't have an idea of what seats I want to get though.
Old 05-01-18, 02:06 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Default Update

Stopped by Sparco HQ Irvine today placed order for the R100 and seat base and sliders--total $600 yikes Shipment coming in 3-5 weeks will post update when seat gets installed. Not getting passenger seat because the girls wont like getting in and out esp with a skirt!

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Install A Racing Seat?