Annoying rattle from sunroof area upon road bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 03:10 AM
IS25000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattle from sunroof area upon road bumps

Hi

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this particular issue with their 2nd gen IS250? Upon going over certain road bumps, there is (what sounds to be like) the board that manually retracts covering the sunroof rattling. I have tried to replicate this sound by tapping on the roof lining around this area but I cannot be 100% certain of what is actually causing the sound.

What must be noted is that if I retract the cover all the way back into the lining, exposing the moon roof, the sound almost completely disappears. This would lead me to believe that the retracting board is the cause of the issue, but as this must manually move back and forward, I cannot simply jam something in there to try and see if the sound stops.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know how to fix? A double threat in my case is the fact that my lining is cream color, so I am hesitant to go sticking my hands all over the lining in fear of dirtying the beautiful colour.

Before you ask, yes I did try the search function, but all I could find was sunroof rattles relating to the glass itself, but mine definitely sounds much lighter than such a heavy substance.

Thanks
Old 04-10-18, 09:50 AM
UnderCover
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS25000
Hi

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this particular issue with their 2nd gen IS250? Upon going over certain road bumps, there is (what sounds to be like) the board that manually retracts covering the sunroof rattling. I have tried to replicate this sound by tapping on the roof lining around this area but I cannot be 100% certain of what is actually causing the sound.

What must be noted is that if I retract the cover all the way back into the lining, exposing the moon roof, the sound almost completely disappears. This would lead me to believe that the retracting board is the cause of the issue, but as this must manually move back and forward, I cannot simply jam something in there to try and see if the sound stops.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know how to fix? A double threat in my case is the fact that my lining is cream color, so I am hesitant to go sticking my hands all over the lining in fear of dirtying the beautiful colour.

Before you ask, yes I did try the search function, but all I could find was sunroof rattles relating to the glass itself, but mine definitely sounds much lighter than such a heavy substance.

Thanks
I definitely don't have a "fix" for you, I"m just another person with the same problem lol. However, I have found that if I shut it all the way and then slide it open just a millimeter or so the sound will stop.

It's doubly annoying because if you open it too much the sound of air from the sunroof get's into the cabin, so I have to really fidget with it to get the sound to stop.
Old 04-10-18, 09:55 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Not sure if I have the same rattle, probably not; but mine was simply the "wind-breaker" bar that rises up after the sunroof is opened to help "lift" the wind up and over the open roof and help with wind-noise. I slide that bar side to side, and it stopped my rattle. It has just became loose over the years.
Old 04-10-18, 12:49 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '06 has what is probably the same type of rattle. Drives me nuts. My wife just said this morning, "It's over twelve years old, of course it is going to start rattling". She's probably right but I don't want a new car. I just want mine to start acting like one. HA!!
Old 04-10-18, 10:24 PM
IS25000
Rookie

Ah! I’m so confused! Today upon my Normal route to work, I could swear that I heard the same rattles that I was sure were gone once the board was retracted all the way back! Sometimes it honestly sounds like something is loose within the actual roof lining itself, but I’m not sure.

I have now tried to close it almost completely and pulling it back about a centimetre or so, like post#2 mentioned and haven’t heard any rattles yet, but the strangest thing about this is, I mainly hear these rattles early in the morning while everything is still cold, as opposed to the heat in the afternoon.

I’ll know for sure how this method holds up tomorow morning.

i must say though, for a car that costs $80,000(in my country) brand new, this is extremely disappointing to have to live with. Rattles and creeks shouldn’t be present from a car of this caliber. I did buy it used 2012 but the mileage was only 30,000 and one owner who looked like he took care of the car well. It’s a shame because it drives so smooth that these imperfections really stand out lol
Old 04-11-18, 12:05 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 01:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

About the sunroof, if you PUSH or PRESS the button instead of turning it to the fully open position, it will open to the optimal open position that minimizes the wind noise. This is basically the second to last notch, if you turn the ****.
Old 04-16-18, 04:15 PM
IS25000
Rookie

Okay, I'm not certain its the sunroof shade anymore. since holding this up manually over certain bumps definitely does nothing to stop the sound. it sounds more like its coming from the roof lining just above the passenger drivers side area.

Will have to get some more people in the car to help identify the problem. Will revert back if anything is found.

(should not be happening on a lexus!!!!)
Old 04-16-18, 06:46 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 07:38 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

If you tilt up the sunroof, and unhinge the accordian rubber bellow on the rail. Then close it again you can probably just push up on the glass. The glass which is mounted on the whole assembly has a lot of play. I put folded pieces of this coarse foam I found at work. Under the two large hinges left and right on the hinge that holds up the glass. It has stopped all my rattling for me. As for the shade if you look closely it rides on a steel sleeve on the edges. Which is actually wrapped around the shade itself.

Tomorrow I will try to see if I can bend the metal prong to put more friction on the rail as it slides. Hopefully not causing any metal screeching. The rail gide is too small to lay anything on it.
Old 04-16-18, 08:53 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 10:24 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DMV350
Rattles aside, our sunshade is actually very solid, and Lexus build quality will become evident when you spend time in less expensive cars.
+1
Go test drive a Volvo (pick a year/model...they are all the same) and you'll notice the cheapness in quality!
My 12 year old IS350 is infinitely more solid (and reliable) than my 3 year old S60 was!
Old 04-16-18, 11:32 PM
IS25000
Rookie

I'm not complaining about the ride quality at all. I haven't owned many cars, but this definitely is at the top of the list in terms of a smooth ride. its just I didn't expect to be dealing with silly issues such as headlining rattles and a god-awful squeaky front dash vent in hot weather in a car of this calibur
Old 04-19-18, 11:45 PM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Every Car i've own so far with a moonroof rattles when in the close position (two 2004 Camrys and the IS250). Raising it in the 'vent' then back close helps it for a bit of time. Holding "up" on the frame of the panel makes the noise go away.
Old 04-20-18, 12:06 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Clean sunroof rubber and surround with silicon spray and do the door rubbers as well it quietens my ISF down for a while but it comes back. Cold weather is when you really notice it.(it got down to 15c in the morning so winters coming ) same as the Toyota Aurion sportivo my wife drives exactly the same sunroof but not the same car one bit.

Quick Reply: Annoying rattle from sunroof area upon road bumps