IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TE37SL: Real or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 08:46 AM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TE37SL: Real or fake?

So these "TE37SL" wheels just went up for sale and I'm having a hard time determining whether they are real or not. Seller has them listed for $1500 with Yokohama tires, and the specs are 18x9 +22 on all four. They came off of an Evo X.

Doing some research prior to making this post, it seems like they are real based on the embossing and the specs. Everything is there and nothing looks mislead (ex. "FORCED" instead of "FORGED") Let me know what you all think. Photo quality isn't the best but I tried to get the most clear screenshot possible.

Edit: keep in mind the wheels were powder coated

Last edited by rvtlyzd; 02-28-18 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Left out piece of information
Old 02-28-18, 09:08 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 144 Posts

i thought TE37SL only comes in grey or black with polish lip and all black for the black editions...
Old 02-28-18, 09:11 AM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
i thought TE37SL only comes in grey or black with polish lip and all black for the black editions...
They were powder coated. Forgot to mention that in the original post.
Old 02-28-18, 09:23 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't question if those were TE37's, but I would question if those were TE37SL's.

Looking at the wheel specs on the TE37SL product page (courtesy of Rays Engineering Wheels), you'll see that:
- 18x9 come in +45 offset only.
- for big (brake) caliper clearance, Evo X is not listed for 18x9.
- these come in two standard factory colors: Pressed Graphite and Pressed Double Black.

Looking at the pic, the TE37SL decal on the outer edge of the wheel and the Volk Racing decal on the wheel spoke both look questionably off-alignment - not something that would pass a visual quality control process.

Again, I wouldn't question if those were TE37's, but I would question if those were TE37SL's.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (02-28-18)
Old 02-28-18, 09:29 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rvtlyzd
They were powder coated. Forgot to mention that in the original post.
Having seen TE37SL's in the Double Pressed Graphite finish up close, it's not something I would want to powdercoat over unless the original finish was that bad.

That would also mean the wheel spec sticker is probably missing, since the wheel spec sticker would have to have been removed for powdercoating, which means that you lose another way to ID the wheels.
Old 02-28-18, 09:44 AM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
I wouldn't question if those were TE37's, but I would question if those were TE37SL's.

Looking at the wheel specs on the TE37SL product page (courtesy of Rays Engineering Wheels), you'll see that:
- 18x9 come in +45 offset only.
- for big (brake) caliper clearance, Evo X is not listed for 18x9.
- these come in two standard factory colors: Pressed Graphite and Pressed Double Black.

Looking at the pic, the TE37SL decal on the outer edge of the wheel and the Volk Racing decal on the wheel spoke both look questionably off-alignment - not something that would pass a visual quality control process.

Again, I wouldn't question if those were TE37's, but I would question if those were TE37SL's.
Appreciate the information. I messaged a few of my powder coating contacts and one of them did those wheels. They are indeed reps and had the decals done upon request. Kinda sad now lol. It's crazy to see how far people will go to create the most authentic looking reps.
Old 02-28-18, 10:42 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Appreciate the information. I messaged a few of my powder coating contacts and one of them did those wheels. They are indeed reps and had the decals done upon request. Kinda sad now lol. It's crazy to see how far people will go to create the most authentic looking reps.
So those wheels aren't even real TE37's? Wow.
Old 02-28-18, 10:54 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

forced and forged is the key lolz
Old 02-28-18, 12:31 PM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
So those wheels aren't even real TE37's? Wow.
Not even TE37's. Incredible, right? Reps have come a long way lol
Old 02-28-18, 12:32 PM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF4life
forced and forged is the key lolz
Haha dude my mind was blown when I found out people were making wheels saying "Forced" instead of "Forged"
Old 02-28-18, 02:16 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is incredible the lengths ppl will go to pose as authentic..

it’s always sucky to miss a good deal, but to this day I can’t understand why people enjoy the look of the TE’s They are just not an attractive wheel, no concavity or special design. Just my opinion though
Old 02-28-18, 02:28 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Haha dude my mind was blown when I found out people were making wheels saying "Forced" instead of "Forged"
maybe he is a starwar fans ? may the force be with u ? lolz akakkaka
Old 02-28-18, 05:23 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Not even TE37's. Incredible, right? Reps have come a long way lol
I remember when Varrstoen (or however it's supposed to be spelled) came out with TE37 reps. They were unapologetic about it, and made no effort to try to pretend that they were not replica wheels.

The fact that those wheels have the raised lettering that is usually an identifier of Volk Racing wheels makes me wonder how far rep wheel manufacturers will go.

Originally Posted by Nespo2330

it’s always sucky to miss a good deal, but to this day I can’t understand why people enjoy the look of the TE’s They are just not an attractive wheel, no concavity or special design. Just my opinion though
The design itself is simple but timeless. Casual fans see and recognize it, but it takes a very careful eye (or in this case, some researching on the internet) to separate the wheat from the chaff...

That, and Volk Racing wheels have some really nice finishes (see: Double Pressed Graphite) that most wheel refinishing shops can duplicate easily/cost-effectively. When I had my IS350, I was running a set of TE37's in metallic bronze. The finish was hard to keep clean, but it was even harder to try to reproduce.
Old 02-28-18, 05:43 PM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Originally Posted by Nespo2330

It's just the simpleness of it. No pointy edges on the spokes, no extreme concave.That's why wheel companies like Vossen with their CV3 wheel got so successful. While most companies were making the best designs, no one was really making the cleanest yet simple looks.
Old 02-28-18, 06:40 PM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

having dealt with these wheels before...most of Volk wheels VIA and JWL stamping are closer to the valve stem holes on the TE37 wheels... and then there's the obvious stamping of the Forced vs Forged and then best way is to get the seller to get a picture of the stamp marks behind the wheels.. glad you didn't just jump into those wheels.

Quick Reply: TE37SL: Real or fake?