IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hey Guys.. About my 2008 IS250 I purchased w/ 28K Miles. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 05:08 PM
StevieJ06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Guys.. About my 2008 IS250 I purchased w/ 28K Miles. Need advice.

I'm almost 100% sure the car didn't have this missing when I purchased it 3 week's ago. If so, I missed it ;[
I was on vacation at Disney for 2 weeks so someone stole it or it fell off OR wasn't there to begin with. I would like to know where can I order this part and just go ahead and replace them both.

[img]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x971/80-20171101_172154_1b02c57d4b4a905be34ea6708c7b7ce6fdff4a27.jpg
The headlights are "dull" or yellow. I was told only 99.99 for full wax detail w/clay bar and they will shine the headlights.

Again, more wear and tear. Are there any "carbon fiber" stickers that are made for our car or is there another method I don't know about?

Again more wear and tear. Same as other question I am looking for someone like carbon fiber for this or a method to help bring it back/replace.

How hard are the rotor's to replace? I'm not a DIY person so I would have to pay someone to do this. Also, I plan on getting 20" with low profile tires.. What would you folks recommend? I'm more concerned with looks rather than the 1k+ "name brand" rims. I want sporty not "bling"

I don't really this piece missing when I purchased the car. Not sure if it fell off on highway or someone stole it while I was in Disney for 2 weeks. I just got back yesterday and noticed. I would like to get 2 new pieces and just replace both sides.

OK, so enclosed are a few images of little things cosmetically wrong with the car. She ride's like new but obviously because it being almost 10 years old little cosmetic flaws are visible that I would like to address..

Also, the lights by the visor on the passenger and driver side do not turn on.. What would be the problem with this? Or am I missing a switch that I should be pressing?

I also plan on getting a 12" sub in the trunk what would you guys recommend? I have always had a good setup my 2008 TSX had 2 L7's but i'm not thinking I want that over the top bass but I do want to crank it up when I like. Also, my speakers sound so good I don't think I will go aftermarket inside speakers.

Last edited by StevieJ06; 11-01-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 06:13 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I have the same issue on my rear doors. But haven’t started to research that fix yet. They do sell new piano black b/c pillars as I’m looking at some as well due to my detailer hitting it with a buffer. 19” wheels may provide enough of an upgraded look but still be more sporty than bling. There is a huge wheel thread on here so you can gather ideas. Check out the faq sticky towards the top of the page. Unsure about the sub situation. Is your car AWD?
Old 11-01-17, 06:19 PM
StevieJ06
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply. So you don't know how to fix those panels? And what about your headlights? I believe mine is RWD ad I know the AED had a badge.
Old 11-01-17, 06:20 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats the drip molding costs about $50 to replace and a few bucks for the clips to hold them in place. Get a headlamp refinishing/polishing kit for the headlamps, and use Mothers Back to Black on the black plastic to bring that part up to new.

Tons of independent shops can refinish your wheels and give you new rotors. Rotors are like $50, and refinishing each wheel is around $60 each. Lights on the visor can be replaced with LEDs for less than $1/each, or at worst, a fuse needs to be replaced, fuse box located in the footwell roof of the driver or passenger also under $1.

Not too bad, methinks.
Old 11-01-17, 07:59 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear calipers frequently fail. The slider pins get corrosion and seize. Make sure whoever does brakes lubricates those. Rotors and pad's aren't a tough job whatsoever. Get some zinc coated rotors or have the brake hats painted. Nothing looks less sporty then tiny (rusted) factory brakes. You'll appreciate the cleaner look down the line.

I run a single sub in my system upgrade. I like (for the $) Alpine Type-R 10. 10's are a great compromise for bass an clarity depending on the music you listen to. Otherwise I like an arsenal of 8s throughout. Alpine PDX amp's aren't as cheap but great, compact an cool running amps. No idea what kinda budget but I buy those sub an amp combo's (new sub, used amp) for around $300. Otherwise it's like $500 just for the amp.

The paint looks like it's been neglected. For simple improvement as mentioned the back to black stuff works from Walmart. You can get stuff from all detail suppliers for the trim. If you want to keep the clean paint (after a detail) preserved look into ceramic coating. It's either fairly expensive or labor intensive if you do it yourself. The treatment makes owning a black car bearable if you need to keep your paint nice.

I run 19's. You said sporty not bling. I think 19's are the perfect fit for sporty on this chassis. I spent $1900ish for my wheels/tires new. Quality wheels and a timely purchase of good tires. You will spend about $700-$800 for a quality 19" tire with a 30/35 series sidewall. I like my Hankook tires for brand reference.
Old 11-01-17, 08:19 PM
StevieJ06
Driver School Candidate

You all are great. O.k so, the black areas around window I have posted use the back to black. Check!. Rotors/brake pads are fairly cheap couple hundred just make sure to lubricate. Check!. Headlight is self explanatory I'll try and do it myself I don't have a buffer though 😢. And the top part that is missing is only ~50$ plus the clips. Should I take it to Lexus? I bought it from a Nissan dealership. Car was driven by a 73 yr old woman as the low miles. She had the car serviced well but I guess wasn't as worried about the outside per say. Inside looks new.. even the leather.
Old 11-01-17, 08:43 PM
johnny5o4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Stevie,

For the headlights, if you want it to look like new... Awesome way to do so:
Instead of the Rust-Oleum, I would get this clear coat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043B7UQY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2BB3CXHBZIJT2&colid=33XBK53E5KLVH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043B7UQY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2BB3CXHBZIJT2&colid=33XBK53E5KLVH
Depending on how bad your headlight looks,,, You can either skip the 400 & 600, and go with 1500 and 2000 grit wet sandpaper.
Other than that, rest is all the same!
P.S. I haven't done this yet, but I will soon.
Old 11-01-17, 11:40 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Here is what sounded AMAZING in my IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-install.html
Old 11-02-17, 03:21 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

3m makes a highly reviewed headlight kit that does not require a drill. Its all elbow grease and includes a clear coat to help prevent them from yellowing again. —— i have some mcguires back to black. Going to try that as well. Judging by the little bit of the wheel that I can see ; you have a RWD.
Old 11-02-17, 05:32 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieJ06
Also, the lights by the visor on the passenger and driver side do not turn on.. What would be the problem with this? Or am I missing a switch that I should be pressing?
There is a possibility that the switch that is contacted when you open the little slide on the visor is worn out. There is a thread here about correcting this from some years ago. Try searching and you find the answer to most of your questions. Here's the link for the visor light...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...king-help.html
Old 11-02-17, 05:30 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieJ06
I'm almost 100% sure the car didn't have this missing when I purchased it 3 week's ago. If so, I missed it ;[
I was on vacation at Disney for 2 weeks so someone stole it or it fell off OR wasn't there to begin with. I would like to know where can I order this part and just go ahead and replace them both.

[img]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x971/80-20171101_172154_1b02c57d4b4a905be34ea6708c7b7ce6fdff4a27.jpg
The headlights are "dull" or yellow. I was told only 99.99 for full wax detail w/clay bar and they will shine the headlights.

Yellowing of the headlights may be just oxidation on the outside. 3M headlight restoration kit might fix it. The yellowing could possible be in the inside as well, as the case with my headlights.

Again, more wear and tear. Are there any "carbon fiber" stickers that are made for our car or is there another method I don't know about?

Again more wear and tear. Same as other question I am looking for someone like carbon fiber for this or a method to help bring it back/replace.

Avoid carbon fiber stickers, just don't.

How hard are the rotor's to replace? I'm not a DIY person so I would have to pay someone to do this. Also, I plan on getting 20" with low profile tires.. What would you folks recommend? I'm more concerned with looks rather than the 1k+ "name brand" rims. I want sporty not "bling"

Rotors are easy. Just need a breaker bar and a common hand tools. Preferably a torque wrench as well to torque down the bolts that hold the brake caliper to the knuckle. As for rims, that's up to you man, look through the wheel threads floating around here.

I don't really this piece missing when I purchased the car. Not sure if it fell off on highway or someone stole it while I was in Disney for 2 weeks. I just got back yesterday and noticed. I would like to get 2 new pieces and just replace both sides.

You can buy new ones and install them, don't know what the part number is. Im sure someone will chime in with it..

OK, so enclosed are a few images of little things cosmetically wrong with the car. She ride's like new but obviously because it being almost 10 years old little cosmetic flaws are visible that I would like to address..

I have the same problem, never really felt the need to get it fixed.

I also plan on getting a 12" sub in the trunk what would you guys recommend? I have always had a good setup my 2008 TSX had 2 L7's but i'm not thinking I want that over the top bass but I do want to crank it up when I like. Also, my speakers sound so good I don't think I will go aftermarket inside speakers.
12" subs prob an over kill unless you like bangin music. I have 2" Punch P2 in a custom box. I have it on -4 bass it its enough bass for me.
Old 11-02-17, 05:31 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
3m makes a highly reviewed headlight kit that does not require a drill. Its all elbow grease and includes a clear coat to help prevent them from yellowing again. —— i have some mcguires back to black. Going to try that as well. Judging by the little bit of the wheel that I can see ; you have a RWD.
but, the drill makes it so much easier....
Old 11-08-17, 04:28 PM
StevieJ06
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know the part number for the Roof piece i'm missing. I found a site that part's out cars and they have a ton of IS. Problem is I don't know the part number!
Old 11-08-17, 04:42 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...-moulding.html

Just pick out the one that is either Left Side (LH) or Right Side (RH), and the color of your car. Also, buy 2 of these clips to hold it in: 75561-52040
Old 11-08-17, 05:03 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
but, the drill makes it so much easier....

Orbital polisher is even better and works great for polish and wax time later in life!

Quick Reply: Hey Guys.. About my 2008 IS250 I purchased w/ 28K Miles. Need advice.