Blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 07:39 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Blown engine

Hey Everyone I am in need of some knowledge and assistnace

My 2010 IS 250 RWD 2.5L just threw a Rod through the side of the block it has 105K on the clock, with the warranty carbon repair done at around 40K.. Never abused just a normal every day driver..

I want to purchase a replacement engine to throw in and was wondering if the 2014 -2015 engine which is the 3rd GEN is identical or had the carbon issue fixed. If not will any 2006-2013 be a direct bolt in?

Thanks

Blown engine-uqlwl26.jpg

Last edited by ssgpate; 09-13-17 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 11:00 AM
ISlv350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could be wrong but if the replacement is 2011 or newer 2.5 u won't have the carbon issue. Again my year could be off but at least u can stay in 2nd gen. But the newer the engine the better. Good luck sorry for the loss.
The following users liked this post:
ssgpate (09-16-17)
Old 09-14-17, 11:33 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISlv350
I could be wrong but if the replacement is 2011 or newer 2.5 u won't have the carbon issue. Again my year could be off but at least u can stay in 2nd gen. But the newer the engine the better. Good luck sorry for the loss.
Thank You, Im not to upset stuff happens and you just have to make the best out of it..
So 2011 and newer engines don't have the carbon build up issues? Do you know if everything is a direct bolt in plug and play as long as its a RWD engine?
Old 09-14-17, 01:37 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

I recall seeing a few threads on here about people asking the same thing. Consensus seems to be that it's just a direct swap. Probably will have to swap the newer electronics/wiring with your old ones at least.
ssgpate (09-16-17)
Old 09-14-17, 02:38 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Meh, I'm skeptical on the 14-15 4gr just dropping in. If you've ever swapped motors before sometime a year change can effect sensors, harness and other items. Also you'll have to reuse your wiring, guaranteed.

I swapped a 2gr from an '11 into my '07 and didn't run into problems but there were no major changes between years except for cosmetic.
ssgpate (09-16-17)
Old 09-14-17, 04:06 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by 2grfan
Meh, I'm skeptical on the 14-15 4gr just dropping in. If you've ever swapped motors before sometime a year change can effect sensors, harness and other items. Also you'll have to reuse your wiring, guaranteed.

I swapped a 2gr from an '11 into my '07 and didn't run into problems but there were no major changes between years except for cosmetic.
You'll want to confirm with Jeff Lange then. As far as I can tell, he's the one responding to all the questions about the 3IS 4gr in the 2IS.

afaik, not much was changed with the 4gr over the years anyways. I believe both the exhaust and intake cams were revised a few times over the years (newer part numbers than the ones that came on something like an 07 are available). Then you have the revised pistons and higher tension rings to help prevent the carbon build up. I don't know if it was completely fixed over the years unfortunately, that's the problem with these engines that are designed with just direct injection in mind. There's a reason Toyota, and other manufacturers, are either using both port and direct, or direct with a self-cleaning feature nowadays.

Last edited by Zmon; 09-14-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 06:37 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
You'll want to confirm with Jeff Lange then. As far as I can tell, he's the one responding to all the questions about the 3IS 4gr in the 2IS.

afaik, not much was changed with the 4gr over the years anyways. I believe both the exhaust and intake cams were revised a few times over the years (newer part numbers than the ones that came on something like an 07 are available). Then you have the revised pistons and higher tension rings to help prevent the carbon build up. I don't know if it was completely fixed over the years unfortunately, that's the problem with these engines that are designed with just direct injection in mind. There's a reason Toyota, and other manufacturers, are either using both port and direct, or direct with a self-cleaning feature nowadays.
I was talking today to some folks that said 2011-13 should be a 100% direct swap and that the carbon issues were fixed in 2011. but noone knows for certain and HOW they fixed this issue. Seems like since its still direct injection the issue would still be there...

ALl i need to do is confirm this and Ill be doing a engine swap in the garage.
Old 09-14-17, 06:39 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2grfan

From what i heard the 2011 was improved design but i want to find out what they improved.
Old 09-15-17, 08:17 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not take this chance and build a MT IS350 like Jeff Lange did?
He went through the whole process so he must be able to tell u step by step
ssgpate (09-16-17)
Old 09-15-17, 08:40 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It's time for a LS swap.

Haha just messing.
Old 09-15-17, 10:13 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Honestly all I want is a stock engine replacement with the carbon issues fixed.. I have Hot Rods Lol
Old 09-15-17, 12:37 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know how to tag Jeff Lang?
Old 09-15-17, 12:59 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by ssgpate
Does anyone know how to tag Jeff Lang?
Just shoot him a PM. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...eff-lange.html
Old 09-16-17, 01:47 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

The newer 4GR will drop in without issues. This includes the 3IS. If you get one from an AWD or RWD and you are the opposite, you'll need to swap your oil pans, other than that, everything should be good to go.

The engine harness from your original engine should be used unless you get an engine from a 2IS. Additionally, if you use a newer engine (2011+) harness, there will be no connectors for the ignition condensers as they were no longer used after 2010, but it's of no consequence. If you use your original harness, just make sure you swap over the condensers to the new engine with it.

If you were closer, I'd suggest you come and pick up my 60k mile 4GR I pulled out of my 2011, but alas, you're not.

Jeff
ssgpate (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 02:01 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The newer 4GR will drop in without issues. This includes the 3IS. If you get one from an AWD or RWD and you are the opposite, you'll need to swap your oil pans, other than that, everything should be good to go.

The engine harness from your original engine should be used unless you get an engine from a 2IS. Additionally, if you use a newer engine (2011+) harness, there will be no connectors for the ignition condensers as they were no longer used after 2010, but it's of no consequence. If you use your original harness, just make sure you swap over the condensers to the new engine with it.

If you were closer, I'd suggest you come and pick up my 60k mile 4GR I pulled out of my 2011, but alas, you're not.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I was considering a road trip but then I seen you were from Canada Lol.... Ill probably just look for a 2011-2013 RWD so i get a direct swap over without any issues. It shouldn't take nay more then a weekend to do the swap and get back in the good graces with my wife Lol she loves that car.

Quick Reply: Blown engine