IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06' 130k miles... When to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 10:22 AM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06' 130k miles... When to sell?

So I have taken pretty decent care of this car. It's still clean and runs well, and besides the usual wear and tear, there's nothing really wrong with it. Having said that, I'm behind on my 90 and 120k services and are planning on getting them completed. My question is, are there any upcoming issues that I should expect as it turns into a higher mileage vehicle? Are there plenty of 200k+ miles is350's out there?

i have no need for a new car though my car buddies (they are rich ****** and update their cars every 50-100k no matter what) say I should get a new car cuz mine is "old". What does the forum say?
Old 05-02-17, 10:34 AM
SlenderKen
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SparksLex
So I have taken pretty decent care of this car. It's still clean and runs well, and besides the usual wear and tear, there's nothing really wrong with it. Having said that, I'm behind on my 90 and 120k services and are planning on getting them completed. My question is, are there any upcoming issues that I should expect as it turns into a higher mileage vehicle? Are there plenty of 200k+ miles is350's out there?

i have no need for a new car though my car buddies (they are rich ****** and update their cars every 50-100k no matter what) say I should get a new car cuz mine is "old". What does the forum say?
Your car is fine to drive until it dies. Depending on how you drive it, you can get over 200k miles on it without a problem. On facebook, I am part of the IS350 and ISF Freaks page and members sometimes show their mileage, and they hit 120k easily. Even if you were to sell or trade in your car, it wouldn't be worth much tbh. Just remember that you have a Lexus, so these cars are pretty bulletproof as long as you keep up with maintenance.

There is a recall on the dashes in these cars, so I think you can still get a new one in your car if you need from a local lexus dealer. And if you are calling your car buddies rich ******, then it says that you don't really care to be like them. Just save the money for your next car since your IS still runs, and if you're only using it as a daily and you don't do car shows/track meets, your car can definitely last a long time.
Old 05-02-17, 10:40 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Plenty of members on here are 100k+. I'll be at 130k by the end of next week, I enjoy driving my IS over my RX. Biggest issues you may see over 100k are alternator, water pump, and seized calipers. Some suspension components (sway bar links are the most common) may need to be replaced as well, but that's typical of any car that starts getting up there in age/mileage. I'm still on my original alternator, but I replaced my leaking water pump with a new Lexus one a couple months ago (easy job, hardest part was taking off the hoses, lolz), and had to replace one of my rear calipers since the slide pin was seized. If you DIY everything, it's fairly cheap to maintain. Only other thing I've come across is a dead fuel pressure sensor, but that seems to be a rare thing around here. Otherwise, keep up with your fluid changes and just take care of the car, it'll easily last over 200k. Typical reliable Toyota product. Just check for any open recalls your vehicle needs/available service campaigns (e.g. melting dash/door panels, I believe the deadline for anyone to get it done is this month, otherwise, it's 9 years from first use).

Why would you want a new car if yours works fine for you? It's your money, don't let others tell you how to spend it.
Old 05-02-17, 12:15 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just hit 114k the other day and she still runs like a champ She is a bit overdue for an oil change though...been lazy hahah
Old 05-02-17, 12:52 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Since it appears all you need to do is preventative stuff, look into some or all of the following :

*Rear diff fluid change
*Trans fluid change
*Coolant change
*Brake fluid change
*Check brake pads and tires
*Check half shaft boots
*Check for water pump leaks
*Check all misc. bushings for abnormal wear

Good luck and enjoy your high-mileage IS350 as I do!
Old 05-02-17, 01:10 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

My motto: live within your means. Yes, it's okay to splurge here and there but a new car is expensive, not to mention insurance on top of it. About to kit 170k on my 08 IS250. Driving it until it doesn't drive anymore. Can't afford a new car.
Old 05-02-17, 02:36 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have a young one at 107K. I do love to drive my 350. I always inspect to make sure I do not miss any tell tall signs of needed attention, like leaks and any other abnormal stuff. My battery is a few years old, but when not in use, I have the Is on a trickle charger, especially winter time.

Last edited by mandyfig; 05-25-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 02:37 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Who cares what your friends think? Don't worry about what your friends have. Be happy with what ya got!!! You can always update the look of the car with head lights, tail lights, newer front bumper, etc.
Old 05-02-17, 03:30 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

06 IS350 - Original owner. All original other than brakes, battery, water pump. Awesome car 😉
Attached Thumbnails 06' 130k miles... When to sell?-photo251.jpg  
Old 05-02-17, 04:06 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like you need new buddies
Old 05-02-17, 08:13 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at 165k, just had an alternator go out but other than that it hasn't been bad the 15k I've had it, previous owner had all maintence records and just drove on the highway.
Old 05-02-17, 09:37 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm at 126k miles (American car which now lives in Canada) and have no issues. Previous owner always serviced at the dealership, so I was surprised to find out none of the recalls had been done yet. I did them about 8 months ago when I bought the car which meant basically full service, new gaskets, fuel rails etc and I've been told to expect nothing less than 200k out of the thing. Thats without a bunch of shiny expensive new motor bits.
Old 05-02-17, 10:54 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
06 IS350 - Original owner. All original other than brakes, battery, water pump. Awesome car 😉
no transmission issues? did you change the fluid?
Old 05-03-17, 10:15 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsa
no transmission issues? did you change the fluid?
No transmission issues (knock on wood). Never changed the fluid. 90% hwy miles. I don't hit much traffic on the hwy due to leaving at 4am and driving back around 2pm.
Old 05-03-17, 06:38 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

176k on mine and i havent had to do jack to it!Its been incredible.

Quick Reply: 06' 130k miles... When to sell?