IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Touch Screen Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 02:44 PM
Saigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Screen Replacement

The touch screen on my 2008 IS F went out recently, and I repaired it by replacing the digitizer. There are several very helpful writeups out there that describe the process of removing and reinstalling the parts of the dash, but most of these describe the silver pen repair on the existing digitizer. These things are cheap enough on eBay now that I decided to replace rather than repair. One thing that I wish I had known in advance: Make sure that you know the exact type of screen that you have, because there are several.

The image below was the first digitizer that I tried. It fits fine, and the ribbon cable seems to seat correctly in the connector, but it did NOT work for me. The touch input was way off, and only certain parts of the screen registered input at all. I couldn't even access the service menu to attempt calibration, so I got to tear it all out again.

This is the second digitizer that I tried. It cost almost 3x as much as the first, but it had exactly the same form factor and ribbon cable as the original part. I installed it, and it worked perfectly from the beginning.

Just FYI, hoping to save others the irritation, expense, and delay of multiple removals and reinstalls, and ordering multiple parts, that I went through. I'll guarantee that this is going to become a very common repair as the electronic parts in these cars get older.

Troy
Austin, Texas
Old 04-12-17, 03:29 PM
Saigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, re: "it cost almost 3x as much," the total cost was still around $75. When you consider that the silver pen costs almost $20 and the long term durability of that repair is not known, I would definitely replace.

Troy
Austin, Texas