IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First Lexus!!! What modifications to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 10:46 AM
Sthall21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Lexus!!! What modifications to start with?

Hello! Just purchased my fist Lexus. It's an 2008 IS350 and it's in perfect condition. So the car power is good but it I want to modify it to get better sound. I have no idea where to start but I am really interested. I want to start of with the exhaust system and a cold air intake. I live in CA and the exhaust laws are pretty strict. What exhaust system will give me a deep rumble when cruising at low speeds and will cover up the engine noise? Also I don't want to lose any power. I don't really care about extra power right now. I want something that would be easily reversed to pass smog. Also not so loud that I would constant be get pulled over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-17, 11:15 AM
belac
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a big fan of the muffler delete. It's usually pretty cheap and In my opinion gives it the perfect sound for a daily driver.
Some might consider it ghetto, but a good exhaust shop can make it come out really nice.

It's pretty deep sounding with no rasp, doesn't effect emissions at all, and is cheaper and better quality than any eBay axle-back.

As for an intake, F-Sport or Joe-Z is pretty much the best way to go.
Old 04-04-17, 12:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just to be safe being in California, F-sport stuff (intake, exhaust, swaybars, springs) might be the safest, albeit most expensive option. I liked the fsport intake and filter just because it was reusable, also sounded nicer. Have the sway bars on my GS and they've significantly reduced body lean in turns.
Old 04-04-17, 04:07 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 265 Posts

Watch some YouTube videos IS350 muffler delete and see if you like it. In my opinion they sound great. Any muffler shop will cut your resonator off and weld straight pipe in that place for merely $40-50 bucks.
Old 04-04-17, 04:49 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
Watch some YouTube videos IS350 muffler delete and see if you like it. In my opinion they sound great. Any muffler shop will cut your resonator off and weld straight pipe in that place for merely $40-50 bucks.

was wondering if this will affect anything with smog ? i know the cats are still on but the sound or some what lol curious
Old 04-05-17, 09:27 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm also in socal.

you can get a catback (mid pipe and axel back). Those are things after your o2 sensor so it will always pass smog.

For sound: I have an invidia mid pipe, HKS hi power axel, JoeZ intake tube along OEM filter box with self drilled holes. ive driven next to cops, behind them, and never got pulled over. Only 👍👍. it's plenty loud without being obnoxious.

for starters: rims, coil overs, exhaust, intake, then exterior mod like aero kits. Then straight engine power like new fuel injectors or force inductors (if you can). Then a tune.
Old 04-05-17, 09:30 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by trippy
was wondering if this will affect anything with smog ? i know the cats are still on but the sound or some what lol curious

Exhaust = Engine>headers>downpipe>mid pipe>axel

if you edit or delete anything after your down pipe. It won't affect smog. Smog is only affected if you change things before your o2 sensor which is located on the top of your mid pipe.

Deleting mufflers or resonators is just for louder sound. Think of those as silencers.
Old 04-05-17, 02:44 PM
Cole2is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Axle back preferably HKS Hi-Power, Cannons !
Old 04-05-17, 07:18 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My preference.
Invidia mid or Megan Mid + Fsport Axle
Invidia Mid + Megan Racing Axle

Done deal and be happy with sound and power.
Old 04-06-17, 01:55 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

takeda or k&n typhoon intake, invidia midpipe, hks axle back for cleanest sound in my opinion.
But if you want just crazy loud like I do, invidia midpipe, and straight pipe from there
Old 04-06-17, 10:36 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sthall21
Hello! Just purchased my fist Lexus. It's an 2008 IS350 and it's in perfect condition. So the car power is good but it I want to modify it to get better sound. I have no idea where to start but I am really interested. I want to start of with the exhaust system and a cold air intake. I live in CA and the exhaust laws are pretty strict. What exhaust system will give me a deep rumble when cruising at low speeds and will cover up the engine noise? Also I don't want to lose any power. I don't really care about extra power right now. I want something that would be easily reversed to pass smog. Also not so loud that I would constant be get pulled over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Much better sound, no drone, beautiful quality exhaust...get the Tanabe Medallion and the F-Sport Intake...........you won't regret it.

Last edited by Koolsport; 04-06-17 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 07:35 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sthall21
And by better sound you mean louder? You bought a car that it's engineers went that far out of their way to make quieter, just to make louder? lol. And a deep "rumble"? lol. Again, it's a V6 Lexus not a '70 Buick GSX lol.
Old 04-07-17, 09:24 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolsport[img
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x1333/80-1o3a8013_93335889fb74ee6b31afc87c25f282e89b5fc6f6.jpg
Wow this car is hot. You did a good job man.

Last edited by Buddiiee; 04-07-17 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-07-17, 05:19 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

First Lexus!!! What modifications to start with?
Welcome and congrats OP. Swaybars front and rear are the best bang for your buck modification in regards to improving dynamics.
Old 04-07-17, 06:34 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In my opinion the 2nd Generation Fsport exhaust with the Fsport intake is the best sounding solution, or you can get a true cold air intake that was made by Darkstar which is easily reverabsle to stock if needed for smog. I had that setup and loved the sound.

Quick Reply: First Lexus!!! What modifications to start with?