IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Polyurethane lip paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 01:30 PM
pearllex09
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polyurethane lip paint problems

I purchased a replica vertex front lip that is polyurethane. I dropped it off at a body shop to have it painted and just got a phone call today saying that after they painted it the paint started bubbling/peeling. They also said that in the baking booth the lip started to lose its shape. The painter said he's going to primer the lip again then wants me to install the lip on my car and have the lip painted while it's on the car. Has anyone else had this problem with polyurethane or do I need a new body show?
Old 03-23-17, 06:46 PM
pearllex09
Pit Crew

Anyone have any input?
Old 03-24-17, 06:27 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

find a new shop. you get what you pay for
Old 03-24-17, 07:23 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep. **** prep work. Find a better shop
Old 03-24-17, 10:24 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats bs. Never had a problem with PU material
Old 03-24-17, 11:05 PM
pearllex09
Pit Crew

So I picked the lip up today primed. It was deformed Bad from the baking booth. I spent awhile reshaping it with a heat gun. Some of the spots that needed to be bent a lot the primer cracked a little and on the one edge of the lip the primer flaked off when installing. They want to bring the car back in Monday to have it painted again with it on the bumper but now I'm worried. They are a trusted body shop so I don't understand why this is causing so many issues. Can I tell them not to put the car back in the baking boot? I really don't want this lip warping again. I'm also gonna ask them if there using adhesion promoter and a flex agent
Old 03-24-17, 11:38 PM
marcsis250
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

YES! i have personally had the same experience with my lip kit as you are having now. after many attempts of prepping, using adhesion promoter and 3 different shop/bodypaint guys trying to figure out why my primer wouldnt stick to my kit. i finally landed on the fact that we sanded the kit, which im thinking your painter did too. i blocked it and the painted primer on it and within days it would flake right off. after 2 years of messing around i threw in the towel and bought a kit from japan.

1. its a cheap kit from some factory in china, they use crappy PU and it has many solvents that get released when we sanded it to make it straight, since it had imperfections we just were trying to make it nice. the only thing we finally did to make it stick was mix marine tech and lay a very thin coat on the entire lip then sand it without breaking to the actual kit. it held but at that point it became to heavy and it just PISSED me off.

2. i would buy another one and have the body guys just paint over it. prep it but do not sand it at all, leave all its imperfections the way they are. the reason i came to this conclusion was because the sections of the rear bumper that didnt get sanded held the primer with no problem.

if you want my advise just buy a good lip from a known manufactor like Vertex themselves. another option is to find a fiberglass version of the lip u want.

i would see if your body guy can maybe get the primer to stick but i am pretty sure after a bit it will flake off. we used to let the side skirts sit for 2 weeks and just take compressed air and it would just blow off.

keep in mind the guy who did my molding of my OG kit knows his stuff. he was also getting very frustrated with it cause of the lack of adhesion. he tried every trick in the book, when a friend asked him to paint an ebay lip he just cleaned it and sprayed it. it still sticking now and its been a year.

Good Luck !