IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 is250 will not start /// fuel pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 11:52 AM
Dan Dibble
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 is250 will not start /// fuel pressure sensor

Wife's car will not start after work. She reported it tuning over for a second then stops and will not turnover now. (battery is good)
I go to car,
remote opens doors,
push start button once, acc are powered (radio ect) no foot on brake
push start button twice gauges move normally (ignition on) no foot on brake (red light on)
Now I step on brake and green light in start button (normal)
(All above is normal)
Push start button with foot on brake, nothing. No rotation no click nothing.
I plug in scanner and get a "no link" from the OBD2 port. (no power)
First I think the ECU is dead.

No more time that night to trouble shoot.

Next day, stop by local Lexus dealer (Memphis) ask to speak to "the guy"
He asks me if any previous maintenance has been done on the car, Yes you guys did the fuel pressure sensor recall 8 weeks ago. He says that's probably whats wrong. Then continues to say, "I bet the engine will rotate when you go to it today, fuel pressure will bleed off overnight. Unplug the sensor, it will start and throw a eng light"

He was right on the spot. The car started for me and ran for about 30 seconds, died and would not turn over to start. No power/codes at OBD2 port. I pulled the connector to the fuel pressure sensor (difficult) and the car started, confirming the problem. Check engine light on, trac light on, rpm limited to 2000.

Drove the car home, removed the upper intake and replaced the fuel pressure sensor (378.00). Car runs fine now.

I'm writing this because I could not find anything anywhere about this problem.

I found it odd the fuel pressure sensor killed the OBD2 connection, but it did. Also after the car was fixed The only code recorded was "fuel leak" I'm assuming it was from the unplugged sensor. Because at no other time did I see a code. No fuel ever leaked and no prior problems.

Dan Dibble

Last edited by Dan Dibble; 03-23-22 at 01:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dan Dibble:
Beamish (12-17-21), messenger1 (01-21-21), Montrel (12-15-21), WoodyTx (01-09-21)
Old 03-16-17, 12:20 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Hi Dan, when the car goes into safety mode (when the car will not crank any longer w/ a Check VSC message), the OBD2 port ceases to allow codes being read. I am unsure if this is the case with Techstream, I never got around to checking it out. But, yeah, that code it threw had to do with the sensor being unplugged.

I had this issue with my 350 back in January, and a few others have posted about it too over the past winter around the same time I did, I had the fuel pressure sensor recall done a year prior to this happening. Doesn't really seem to be a common issue at all as I've only seen a few sporadic cases pop up prior to mine, unsure what exactly causes the failure. Possibly dropped the sensor, or twisted it off without spinning the harness with it when they removed it (which will damage the wires). No prior symptoms before it died on me, was up visiting in Chicago when it got extremely cold for a couple weeks. Was able to get it started a few times and running, before it just wouldn't start anymore. I'll reference a little DIY I made even though you mentioned you already did it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9759981

By any chance did you speak with one of the Mikes, or Joey in service? All three are great, and know what they're talking about. I've been there a few times, and I'm usually up in Memphis every couple weeks. Great service dept.
Old 12-09-19, 11:58 AM
jo123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - Fuel Pressor Sensor

Advice - Fuel Pressor Sensor

I have a 2008 Lexus IS 250 Dealer say that my Fuel pressor sensor shorted out and I need a new one. wants $1700.00
Has anyone had this replaced and what was the cost?

I heard there was a recall on the Fuel pressor sensor. Does anyone know if there was a recall on this so far I have found this one is this the same? Thoughts on me calling and asking for them to cover?

Would this recall cause a short if I hadn't (or known) to take care of it?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

• Recall Number
    14V647000
    Recall Date
    10/15/2014
    Component
    FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY: HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    SummaryToyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Lexus LS vehicles manufactured May 9, 2006, to July 20, 2010, 2006-2011 Lexus GS vehicles manufactured January 6, 2005, to September 10, 2010, and 2006-2011 Lexus IS vehicles manufactured August 30, 2005, to September 10, 2010. Due to anti-corrosion plating remnants, fuel may leak from where the fuel pressure sensor is attached to the fuel delivery pipe.
    ConsequenceA fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.

What Owners Should DoToyota will notify owners, and dealers will clean and reseal the fuel pressure sensor mounting area, free of charge. The recall began March 3, 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.
  • Recall Number
    16V340000
    Recall Date
    05/23/2016
    Component
    AIR BAGS: PASSENGER SIDE FRONTAL
    SummaryToyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2008-2011 Scion xB and Lexus IS F, 2009-2011 Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix, 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris, Lexus IS250 and Lexus IS350, 2010-2011 Toyota 4Runner, Lexus IS250C, Lexus IS350C, and Lexus GX460, 2011 Sienna, 2007-2011 Lexus ES350, and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe vehicles, originally sold, or ever registered, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands, or "Zone A." Additionally, unless included in "Zone A" above, Toyota is recalling certain model year 2008 Scion xB and Lexus IS F, 2007-2008 Toyota Yaris, 2006-2008 Lexus IS250 and Lexus IS350 and 2007-2008 Lexus ES350 vehicles, originally sold, or ever registered, in Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, or "Zone B." Vehicles of these model years and models that were not originally sold or ever registered in either Zones A or B are not subject to this safety recall. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating the deployment of the front airbags, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
    ConsequenceAn inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

What Owners Should DoToyota will notify the Toyota and Lexus owners. General Motors will contact the Pontiac owners. Depending on the model, dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator or the airbag assembly, free of charge. The recall began on December 6, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331. Toyota's numbers for interim notification for this campaign are G1P (Toyota Zone A), G1R (Toyota Zone B), G2G (Lexus Zone A), and G2H (Lexus Zone B). Toyota's numbers for final remedy for this campaign are G0P (Toyota Zone A), G0R (Toyota Zone B), GLG (Lexus Zone A), and GLH (Lexus Zone B).
  • Recall Number
    09V020000
    Recall Date
    01/16/2009
    Component
    ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    SummaryTOYOTA IS RECALLING 214,570 MY 2006-2008 LEXUS IS, MY 2006-2007 GS AND MY 2007-2008 LS PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ALUMINUM FUEL DELIVERY PIPES (FUEL RAILS). ETHANOL FUELS WITH A LOW MOISTURE CONTENT WILL CORRODE THE INTERNAL SURFACE OF THE FUEL RAILS. AS THIS CONDITION PROGRESSES, THE ENGINE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE.
    ConsequenceOVERTIME, THE CORROSION MAY CREATE A PINHOLE RESULTING IN FUEL LEAKAGE. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

What Owners Should DoDEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE FUEL DELIVERY PIPES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA/LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.
Old 12-09-19, 01:32 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jo123
Advice - Fuel Pressor Sensor

I have a 2008 Lexus IS 250 Dealer say that my Fuel pressor sensor shorted out and I need a new one. wants $1700.00
Has anyone had this replaced and what was the cost?

I heard there was a recall on the Fuel pressor sensor. Does anyone know if there was a recall on this so far I have found this one is this the same? Thoughts on me calling and asking for them to cover?

Would this recall cause a short if I hadn't (or known) to take care of it?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

• Recall Number
    14V647000
    Recall Date
    10/15/2014
    Component
    FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY: HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    SummaryToyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Lexus LS vehicles manufactured May 9, 2006, to July 20, 2010, 2006-2011 Lexus GS vehicles manufactured January 6, 2005, to September 10, 2010, and 2006-2011 Lexus IS vehicles manufactured August 30, 2005, to September 10, 2010. Due to anti-corrosion plating remnants, fuel may leak from where the fuel pressure sensor is attached to the fuel delivery pipe.
    ConsequenceA fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.

What Owners Should DoToyota will notify owners, and dealers will clean and reseal the fuel pressure sensor mounting area, free of charge. The recall began March 3, 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.
  • Recall Number
    16V340000
    Recall Date
    05/23/2016
    Component
    AIR BAGS: PASSENGER SIDE FRONTAL
    SummaryToyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2008-2011 Scion xB and Lexus IS F, 2009-2011 Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix, 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris, Lexus IS250 and Lexus IS350, 2010-2011 Toyota 4Runner, Lexus IS250C, Lexus IS350C, and Lexus GX460, 2011 Sienna, 2007-2011 Lexus ES350, and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe vehicles, originally sold, or ever registered, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands, or "Zone A." Additionally, unless included in "Zone A" above, Toyota is recalling certain model year 2008 Scion xB and Lexus IS F, 2007-2008 Toyota Yaris, 2006-2008 Lexus IS250 and Lexus IS350 and 2007-2008 Lexus ES350 vehicles, originally sold, or ever registered, in Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, or "Zone B." Vehicles of these model years and models that were not originally sold or ever registered in either Zones A or B are not subject to this safety recall. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating the deployment of the front airbags, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
    ConsequenceAn inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

What Owners Should DoToyota will notify the Toyota and Lexus owners. General Motors will contact the Pontiac owners. Depending on the model, dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator or the airbag assembly, free of charge. The recall began on December 6, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331. Toyota's numbers for interim notification for this campaign are G1P (Toyota Zone A), G1R (Toyota Zone B), G2G (Lexus Zone A), and G2H (Lexus Zone B). Toyota's numbers for final remedy for this campaign are G0P (Toyota Zone A), G0R (Toyota Zone B), GLG (Lexus Zone A), and GLH (Lexus Zone B).
  • Recall Number
    09V020000
    Recall Date
    01/16/2009
    Component
    ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    SummaryTOYOTA IS RECALLING 214,570 MY 2006-2008 LEXUS IS, MY 2006-2007 GS AND MY 2007-2008 LS PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ALUMINUM FUEL DELIVERY PIPES (FUEL RAILS). ETHANOL FUELS WITH A LOW MOISTURE CONTENT WILL CORRODE THE INTERNAL SURFACE OF THE FUEL RAILS. AS THIS CONDITION PROGRESSES, THE ENGINE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE.
    ConsequenceOVERTIME, THE CORROSION MAY CREATE A PINHOLE RESULTING IN FUEL LEAKAGE. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

What Owners Should DoDEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE FUEL DELIVERY PIPES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA/LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.
The above post explains what to do and how to change it...
Old 01-21-21, 06:49 AM
messenger1
1st Gear

Thanks for this Dan. I'm having the exact same problem with my 2008 is250. Replaced the fuel pump because car has 170K on it and it made sense (rough running, stalled during/after trip around block, started and stalled a couple times in driveway). It started! and ran for 30 seconds before stalling, then nothing on try to restart, no starter motor spinning at all! I was suspecting the ECM because if I disconnected the battery overnight the car would start and run (for about 10 seconds then stall, then nothing again on try to restart). Maybe it would have just done the same if it sat for a while and the standing fuel pressure would drop off... A bad starter/starter circuit made no sense because it would intermittently start OK - but without acquiring a starting circuit diagram who knew that the ECM will kill the circuit if there was a fault with the fuel pressure sensor!

Dude on internet had same issue and suggests that if the fuel pressure sensor is bad you can get the car to start (and send trouble code) if you disconnect the rear-most connector on the ECM before starting, which I am about to try since it looks like you have to pull off almost everything on top of the engine to access the sensor. The sensor itself is a $240 part online (or $20-30 if you want to risk a knockoff or reman one) - $350 at the parts stores - more than twice that at the dealer! which would make for an expensive and time consuming troubleshoot to just try replacing it.

UPDATE 1: I did try pulling the plug at the ECM. Car would crank (yes!) for quite a while without starting (10 secs or more of motor spinning) I ended up shutting it off because it seemed like it wouldn't on it's own. I reconnected that plug and was able to pretty easily reach the connector at the rear of the engine and disconnect it there. Again the engine cranked and cranked but this time it finally started (! (again)). I was able to drive it back to my garage topping out at 2000rpm, check engine light on.

UPDATE 2: I replaced the sensor and it started right up and is running well. I opted for the $240 one I found online. Instructions for the IS250 can be found in a TSB here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...4V647-0774.pdf
a bunch of stuff to disconnect, but not too bad. It gave me a chance to clean the intake manifold and intake air surge tank. No need to pull the manifold - I was able to reach the sensor with a regular open-ended wrench. Be careful of the somewhat hidden electrical connector wiring attached to the tank (step "r" on page 14 of TSB) I ripped my connector wire out at the plug! The TSB calls for special tools and guides to install the new sensor, mainly to make sure that it's not too tight on the gasket, but tight enough without stripping the threads of the aluminum rail. Probably not necessary. Re-assembling it all was much faster, I reused gaskets and used a torque wrench on the surge tank nuts and bolts. Success!

Last edited by messenger1; 01-28-21 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-15-21, 06:30 AM
Montrel
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Dan. I'm having this issue with my is350

Originally Posted by Dan Dibble
Wife's car will not start after work. She reported it tuning over for a second then stops and will not turnover now. (battery is good)
I go to car,
remote opens doors,
push start button once, acc are powered (radio ect) no foot on brake
push start button twice gauges move normally (ignition on) no foot on brake (red light on)
Now I step on brake and green light in start button (normal)
(All above is normal)
Push start button with foot on brake, nothing. No rotation no click nothing.
I plug in scanner and get a "no link" from the OBD2 port. (no power)
First I think the ECU is dead.

No more time that night to trouble shoot.

Next day, stop by local Lexus dealer (Memphis) ask to speak to "the guy"
He asks me if any previous maintenance has been done on the car, Yes you guys did the fuel pressure sensor recall 8 weeks ago. He says that's probably whats wrong. Then continues to say, "I bet the engine will rotate when you go to it today, fuel pressure will bleed off overnight. Unplug the sensor, it will start and throw a eng light"

He was right on the spot. The car started for me and ran for about 30 seconds, died and would not turn over to start. No power/codes at OBD2 port. I pulled the connector to the fuel pressure sensor (difficult) and the car started, confirming the problem. Check engine light on, trac light on, rpm limited to 2000.

Drove the car home, removed the upper intake and replaced the fuel pressure sensor (378.00). Car runs fine now.

I'm writing this because I could not find anything anywhere about this problem.

I found it odd the fuel pressure sensor killed the OBD2 connection, but it did. Also after the car was fixed The only code recorded was "fuel leak" I'm assuming it was from the unplugged sensor. Because at no other time did I see a code. No fuel ever leaked and no prior problems.

I don't come here often.
I will check back over the next few days to see if anyone has any questions, but if I don't reply my email address is oneton35@yahoo.com.

Dan Dibble
Thanks Dan, I've ordered a new sensor, fingers chossed.