IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Acura TL Type-S or IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 10:38 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
The TL type-s handling is much better than Lexus IS and any of other Toyota cars, IS350 is not that faster than Type-s TL, my sister TL does not vibrate or wobble at 120k-ph - + 65mph+ , all of my Lexus feels vibrate or wandering wobbling and weird when hit 65mph + , don't quote me until you drive both car , me and my sister switching car almost every week, even Nissan Cube suspension and steering feels better than IS250 , don't get me wrong i like both TL and IS but i gotta say "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS !
I drove both cars. The Type-S handles better stock but no way is it faster in a straight line. The IS runs under 5 0-60 while the fastest I've seen a Type-S is like 5.4. I'll give you that the suspension and steering isn't very good in comparison to a G or 335i, but simple mods can make it outhandle a stock IS-F (sway bars, lowering springs, steering ECU, coilovers, etc.). So there is a simple solution to this problem.
Old 02-08-17, 06:51 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
What's with you and spamming all the threads with "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS!"??? Below are a few of your direct quotes from other threads.

If you don't like it, don't whine about it, fix it. You'll be surprised how well the suspension and steering feels with the right OEM parts. Also, give the newer 4GS350 and 3IS350 F-Sports a test drive as they are class leaders in handling.

In regards to which is faster between the Acura TL Type-S vs the IS350, there is actually a significant difference between 0-60 and 1/4 mile times:

0-60:
IS350- 4.9 secs
TL Type-S- 5.7 secs

1/4mile:
IS350- 13.5 secs
TL Type-S- 14.3 secs

Source: Road and Track direct comparison.

I said not that faster than TL type-s, 1 sec faster isn't much different, but Type-s handles better than Lexus IS , these guys always talks mad when someone says the true eh and i was talking about Suspension not speed, do you go to track alot ? Toyota/lexus suspension sucks don't get mad over the fact.
Old 02-08-17, 07:02 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rezno
I drove both cars. The Type-S handles better stock but no way is it faster in a straight line. The IS runs under 5 0-60 while the fastest I've seen a Type-S is like 5.4. I'll give you that the suspension and steering isn't very good in comparison to a G or 335i, but simple mods can make it outhandle a stock IS-F (sway bars, lowering springs, steering ECU, coilovers, etc.). So there is a simple solution to this problem.
nah i'm talking about STOCK bro, compare with stock vs stock, if i mod the TLX IS350 is no match. Ya 1 sec slower isn't much different. Type-s suspension is totally different to regular TLX don't you know, let's say, Fsport vs TypeS i still like Types Suspension and steering no offend to Lexus this is what ive experienced driven both car. i test drove 2015 IS350 awd and 2016 TLX TLX better. that's why i'm think of IS-F or RC-F, don't get mad i like Lexus but i gotta say the true.
Old 02-09-17, 07:30 AM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 321 Posts

I said not that faster than TL type-s, 1 sec faster isn't much different
A near one-second difference for both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times isn't much different?

Last edited by redspencer; 02-09-17 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I refuse to feed the internet troll with more troll food
Old 02-09-17, 10:54 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

nah i'm talking about STOCK bro, compare with stock vs stock, if i mod the TLX IS350 is no match. Ya 1 sec slower isn't much different. Type-s suspension is totally different to regular TLX don't you know, let's say, Fsport vs TypeS i still like Types Suspension and steering no offend to Lexus this is what ive experienced driven both car. i test drove 2015 IS350 awd and 2016 TLX TLX better. that's why i'm think of IS-F or RC-F, don't get mad i like Lexus but i gotta say the true.
I'm not mad and I understand what you're saying. I have not driven the 3IS or the TLX so I can't say anything about that. You are right about the fact that the Type-S handles better stock. Its steering and suspension tuning is better over a stock IS350. Chances are though, that when OP asked this question, he was not planning on keeping his car stock and was going to invest some money into making it feel better and handle better. No car enthusiast will keep their car stock unless it is perfect from the factory, which neither the IS350 nor the Type-S are. From that point of view, the IS350 is a better car due to the suspension tweaks you can buy for it. By no means am I saying that the Type-S is bad, but what I'm trying to say is if you're going to mod your suspension, the 350 is the better way to go due to not only the massive amount of F-Sport parts you can get for it but also the IS-F's suspension and steering components you can add to the 350. And the reason for the 350 suspension being not as good in comparison to its competitors is due to the fact that Lexus is luxury first, performance second, but the performance parts are available to change that experience completely. If you think about it, it really complements the Type-S and shows how good it is from the factory if aftermarket parts don't have much of an impact on it.

Also in a 1/4 mile run 1 second is a huge difference. Especially when comparing cars in the same class, and even more so when that class is the compact sport/luxury sedan. You think if an M3 runs 1 second better in the 1/4 mile than a C63 AMG that reviewers wouldn't lose their sanity over that?
Old 02-09-17, 07:41 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With your modded IS250, I'd say keep the IS250. It looks really nice. Or consider the current generation IS350?
Old 02-09-17, 08:06 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

A near one-second difference for both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times isn't much different?
lol, 1 sec difference is like comparing V8 M3 with dual clutch tranny to V6 IS350 with 6-speed automatic
Old 02-09-17, 08:20 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogers2
Neither....<br />Reason: you already have a nice is250. Are you really going to use the extra power the is350 offer?<br />Plus the interior on the is250/350 is very cheesy and cheap looking. IMO<br /><br />TL: I will never recommend another Acura after there few years of transmission problems. I prefer the interior of the Acura over the Lexus.<br />Honestly, I don't think Acura is luxury brand.<br /><br />If you want spend more money then upgrade to a better car. If not save the money and put it in your 401k or travel.
<br /><br />Thanks! haha. I wouldn't be taking either to the track, but yes I would be using the extra power the IS350 offers. The 250 feels extraordinarily underpowered. It's quite sad because my daily has more juice lol!<br />I can understand your point about the interior; IS's without the nav screen are starting to look dated, like mine.

Last edited by Ling2IS; 02-09-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 08:21 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

What's with you and spamming all the threads with "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS!"??? Below are a few of your direct quotes from other threads.

If you don't like it, don't whine about it, fix it. You'll be surprised how well the suspension and steering feels with the right OEM parts. Also, give the newer 4GS350 and 3IS350 F-Sports a test drive as they are class leaders in handling.

In regards to which is faster between the Acura TL Type-S vs the IS350, there is actually a significant difference between 0-60 and 1/4 mile times:

0-60:
IS350- 4.9 secs
TL Type-S- 5.7 secs

1/4mile:
IS350- 13.5 secs
TL Type-S- 14.3 secs

Source: Road and Track direct comparison.

This is some informative data! Good to know the numbers down to the T.
Old 02-09-17, 08:26 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wunko
With your modded IS250, I'd say keep the IS250. It looks really nice. Or consider the current generation IS350?
Thanks
I've driven a top of the line 3IS, and in all honestly I don't think they're worth what they're going for. Not particularly fond of the new styling and feel behind the wheel is almost identical to the 2IS350. If I'm spending 3IS money, I'd much rather go for an ISF.
Old 02-11-17, 07:26 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rezno
I'm not mad and I understand what you're saying. I have not driven the 3IS or the TLX so I can't say anything about that. You are right about the fact that the Type-S handles better stock. Its steering and suspension tuning is better over a stock IS350. Chances are though, that when OP asked this question, he was not planning on keeping his car stock and was going to invest some money into making it feel better and handle better. No car enthusiast will keep their car stock unless it is perfect from the factory, which neither the IS350 nor the Type-S are. From that point of view, the IS350 is a better car due to the suspension tweaks you can buy for it. By no means am I saying that the Type-S is bad, but what I'm trying to say is if you're going to mod your suspension, the 350 is the better way to go due to not only the massive amount of F-Sport parts you can get for it but also the IS-F's suspension and steering components you can add to the 350. And the reason for the 350 suspension being not as good in comparison to its competitors is due to the fact that Lexus is luxury first, performance second, but the performance parts are available to change that experience completely. If you think about it, it really complements the Type-S and shows how good it is from the factory if aftermarket parts don't have much of an impact on it.

Also in a 1/4 mile run 1 second is a huge difference. Especially when comparing cars in the same class, and even more so when that class is the compact sport/luxury sedan. You think if an M3 runs 1 second better in the 1/4 mile than a C63 AMG that reviewers wouldn't lose their sanity over that?
ya that makes sense and good explanation . One bad thing about TLX is front wheel drive, they have AWD too but not RWD.
Old 02-11-17, 04:01 PM
sethlamb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently drive an 06 IS350. Great car. Handles well and has plenty of power. I was looking for something inexpensive when I purchased this car. If you can find on with the Mark Levinson stereo, Its worth it. I searched for a while for what I wanted. Prior to this, I had a 2013 G37x 4door. Great car as well. Plenty of power, all wheel drive, plenty of room. I almost wish I sprung for the AWD Is350. The Lexus is a beast and in AWD, its probably awesome. Prior to all that, I had an 08 TL Type S, carbon bronze too. Great car also. I personally thought it was top heavy and in some tight corners, it handled terribly. It was still fun to drive and had plenty of power. I am for the most part happy with the IS350. Could see myself driving this until it dies.
Old 02-11-17, 04:45 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sethlamb
I currently drive an 06 IS350. Great car. Handles well and has plenty of power. I was looking for something inexpensive when I purchased this car. If you can find on with the Mark Levinson stereo, Its worth it. I searched for a while for what I wanted. Prior to this, I had a 2013 G37x 4door. Great car as well. Plenty of power, all wheel drive, plenty of room. I almost wish I sprung for the AWD Is350. The Lexus is a beast and in AWD, its probably awesome. Prior to all that, I had an 08 TL Type S, carbon bronze too. Great car also. I personally thought it was top heavy and in some tight corners, it handled terribly. It was still fun to drive and had plenty of power. I am for the most part happy with the IS350. Could see myself driving this until it dies.
Good to hear. I'd be looking for a IS350, black on gray with the sport and nav pack. Very few seem to have the ML stereo.
Are you more satisfied with the IS or TL-S?
Old 02-11-17, 04:52 PM
yjauto
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Very nice!

Originally Posted by Ling2IS
I know I'm asking ClubLexus lol - but should I go for a IS350 (in black) or Acura TL Type-S (in blue/possibly manual) coming from a 250? I want to hear your reasons and rationale!

Photos of my 250:

Beautiful lips, and skirts
Old 02-11-17, 05:22 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yjauto
Beautiful lips, and skirts
Thank you! haha

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type-S or IS350?