IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Headlight Adjustment Cog

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 09:22 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HID Headlight Adjustment Cog

So i took my car in for annual inspection we do here. The HID auto-level system seems to have completely stopped working. Nevertheless that wasn't the issue, the issue was that the right side was aiming too low on the ground. They project the light into a lens and then have the ideal height where the beam should be.

The guides say to turn the screw clockwise to raise the beam and anti-clockwise to lower the beam. So i assumed it meant when you place the screwdriver into the cog you need to turn it clockwise but soon realised clockwise wasnt working so as I turned it anti-clockwise it started to raise. So we started turning the adjustment screw/cog with the screwdriver counter-clockwise. I can only assume the instruction about rotating it clockwise means the actual screw itself needs to be clockwise. Because when I put a screwdriver into the cog and turn it anti-clockwise that I think turns the screw clockwise.

Anyway, to cut the story short the level was rising nicely and then it got to just below where we wanted it and then heard a noise and the whole thing just drop back to below 0 and now turning the cog doesnt seem to work. Is it completely messed up now and what can I do? I've read somewhere that you have to completely remove the lens to fix it?

Also, any idea why it didnt want to go higher and how are we supposed to know where the limit is before the mechanism falls?

Last edited by lexus-is2; 12-21-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 03:42 PM
23rharris
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Would love to hear any thoughts on this; unfortunately have the same issue
Old 01-24-17, 03:54 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Unfortunately, you'll need to open up the headlight to put the adjustment screw back into place.
Old 01-25-17, 12:46 PM
triple7is
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS is a great car, but the headlight on these are a pain to adjust and get it right. I have the 2012 version and its still not where I want it. Adjusting it doesn't really help at all IMO, for me it was the issue of the lights not being high enough too. However if I raise it I loose forground light and it will not be bright, but if I lower it I can't see 50 ft in front of me. Currently I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the horizontal adjustment screw.
Old 01-25-17, 04:02 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triple7is
The IS is a great car, but the headlight on these are a pain to adjust and get it right. I have the 2012 version and its still not where I want it. Adjusting it doesn't really help at all IMO, for me it was the issue of the lights not being high enough too. However if I raise it I loose forground light and it will not be bright, but if I lower it I can't see 50 ft in front of me. Currently I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the horizontal adjustment screw.
I have a 2012 too, was about to try adjusting the headlights but now I'm afraid I will make it worse by having the screw come out and the light drop down even lower as had happened to the OP. Bugs the crap out of me especially when taking turns on the freeway at night. Wish we had AFS for our model year because then both lights can be adjusted at the same time with the sensor arm on the rear suspension.

To the OP, were you close to where you wanted the light to aim before the screw became unthreaded?
Old 01-25-17, 05:39 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

I had this happen to me, you have to remove the front bumper, take out the headlights, bake them in an oven at 225 degrees to soften the glue that holds the lens on, then remove the lens and re-attach the horizontal adjustment ball. The reason they "pop" and then drop down is you have to adjust BOTH vertical and horizontal screws at the same time, or else one of the screws will pop out of place. It seems intimidating, but you can do it. Beats replacing the headlights at $1000+ each!
Old 01-25-17, 11:09 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by synrgy350
I had this happen to me, you have to remove the front bumper, take out the headlights, bake them in an oven at 225 degrees to soften the glue that holds the lens on, then remove the lens and re-attach the horizontal adjustment ball. The reason they "pop" and then drop down is you have to adjust BOTH vertical and horizontal screws at the same time, or else one of the screws will pop out of place. It seems intimidating, but you can do it. Beats replacing the headlights at $1000+ each!
The thing that freaks me out is not knowing exactly which way to turn the screws. Some say clockwise, others counter clockwise. Then as you move the light up, which way horizontally should the other screw be adjusted? No wonder the dealer won't touch the headlight aiming. I asked them to do it twice and was always told it is within factory standard, end of conversation.
Old 01-26-17, 02:59 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Clockwise will raise the headlights vertically. Then you turn the horizontal aiming screw clockwise the same number of turns. So basically turn both adjustment screws the same way and the same number of times to do it correctly.
Old 01-26-17, 09:03 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Clockwise will raise the headlights vertically. Then you turn the horizontal aiming screw clockwise the same number of turns. So basically turn both adjustment screws the same way and the same number of times to do it correctly.
Cool. I think I finally found someone willing to adjust my lights along with some other stuff I needed to get done with my car so I will make sure he knows to do the above.
Old 12-17-17, 11:04 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just an update, I managed to fix this issue without having to remove the lens or anything. Basically the cog for adjusting the height is attached to a white plastic adjusting collar. This then is clipped into a black plastic on the beam housing. When you turn the cog with a screwdriver counter-clockwise it turns the bolt and the white plastic collar inside retracts backwards. And since the white plastic is clipped into the black clip it causes the beam to rise. Problem was that there is a limit to how much the beam can rise, If you get to the limit and continue to turn the cog, the white collar continues to try and come back and retract causing it to pop out. When this happens the entire beam housing inside falls.

The solution is to remove the grey bulb cover for the high beam, remove that bulb. Then remove the HID bulb and it's cover. Once you have done this you will have access to put your fingers into the high beam bulb hole and would be able to move the beam housing about. At this point what i did was held it up all the way with one hand and with a screwdriver on a power drill turned the cog clockwise. You need to make sure you are holding the beam mechanism up very tight because the force of the cog will push it back down. The idea is to hold it tight enough which then allows the white collar to pop straight back into the black clips. You will hear and feel the click when it happens.

It will be much easier to do with the headlamp off the car. But I have small hands so was OK with it on the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexus-is2:
bazzle01 (12-21-17), strikeraj (12-17-17)
Old 12-19-17, 10:54 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Great info! I think I have this problem on one of my headlights.
Old 12-27-17, 07:28 PM
jeffhoward
Driver School Candidate

I have a question on this...What happens if I were to try to replace the moveable headlight with a more basic one? Is that even possible?