IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit a curb very hard :(((

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 05:59 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW that mechanic you took it to is worthless, unless you didn't pay for the diagnostic? Find one that'll drive with you in it and he can listen to it.
Old 04-23-17, 08:15 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbtiger01
Hi, two days ago I was being an idiot and decided to speed up coming to a round about in the middle of the night. I speed up and ended hitting the curb pretty hard. So here's what happened: I speed up and the rear of the car kicked out and I ended hitting the rear passenger wheel very hard on the curb, it bounced the car hard and then I hit the front wheel of the passenger side the scraped that as well. The rear wheel is all scarped up and has a chip. The curb wasn't high, mostly the tire took it (no damage to the tire) and the edge of the wheels. Not concerned with the wheels at all because I can fix or even replace them.

My main concern is this: After I hit I stopped and look at the car, smelled a bit of tire smoke but that went away. Drove home, the car drove fine; it was not pulling to any side there is no vibration. Took on the highway and did up 100mph same thing. The only thing is that there is a sound from the rear wheel. The sound comes on from 35+ speed, and stays on at highway speeds. The volume of the noise does not seem to increase with the speed. It noise is there on smooth and bumpy roads and I can't really describe it at all. It doesn't sound like scrapping. It sounds something like this: whoop-silent-whoop-silent-whoop-silent, you could describe it as a "wobbling sound" without physical wobbling.

I'm taking to either a dealership or a performance car mechanic that usually fixes BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes as I don't know any real Lexus independent mechanics around me, live in Michigan 30 miles from Downtown Detroit.

But what could be the cause of that issue? I'm scared and sad by this as my old car was a 2007 Honda Accord, and I'm 22 and I bought this car about a month ago with 21,000 miles and I want to fix it and i'm hoping for a best case scenario.
My 2 cents is change your wheels and tires first..it took the brunt of the impact, your tire may be out of round or rim is warped.and you cant visibly tell. Also good time to get some aftermarket kool rims..
Old 04-24-17, 01:57 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
I could hardly hear anything. I like what all have suggested above. I am assuming it's all stock? So it shouldn't be that difficult but a lil tricky. Take off both rear tires and compare examine. Have you and your friends look over what you may have missed. Check all all bushings, ball joints, control arms, etc. Is it a humming noise? You still could have a bad bearing and obviously not see it but by noise and or pulling on wheel. I'm just trying to think of all possibilities. Oh don't forget to check all bolts. If you have a buddy with the same bolt pattern then switch up wheels. Test drive it. It seems as if the sound is only while driving over 35mph not at slow speeds? So fast movement on flat roads as well? Hhhmmmm. Rear wheel or awd? Shoot maybe it's the wheel that's "warped" or bent making the noise?

My car is AWD, the hit actually twisted both front and back right side wheels and I replaced them with OEM used ones. I did put the spare on it still made the noise on the back wheel. The noise is not much of a hhhhmm but more of a whoop-whoop sound.
Old 04-25-17, 04:11 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh hell awd! Too me that's a whole new story now. At least from my experience with my own awd vehicles check your cv axle (half) shafts. It's been a minute since I've replaced some so maybe someone else can give you knowledge on the IS rear awd. There's deff something wrong in that dept. Damn bro you MUST have hit that **** hard in order to bend 2 wheels. So with the spare it's making noises still and you have replaced both front and rear wheels? Is your spare a 11" ****ty wheel or a standard wheel? My bad but those doughnut wheels a worthless accept to get home on emergencies.
Old 04-25-17, 06:50 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
Oh hell awd! Too me that's a whole new story now. At least from my experience with my own awd vehicles check your cv axle (half) shafts. It's been a minute since I've replaced some so maybe someone else can give you knowledge on the IS rear awd. There's deff something wrong in that dept. Damn bro you MUST have hit that **** hard in order to bend 2 wheels. So with the spare it's making noises still and you have replaced both front and rear wheels? Is your spare a 11" ****ty wheel or a standard wheel? My bad but those doughnut wheels a worthless accept to get home on emergencies.

Tell me about it man My car hit the the back wheel first then bounced off of that and the front