Brake pedal possible stuck when starting the car / 2006 IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 12:58 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pedal possible stuck when starting the car / 2006 IS 350

Hello members,
Need a little help from anyone with brake experience. Thanks in advance!!!!Recently I encountered an issue when trying to start my car and brake pedal got stuck where it does not allow me to apply and push the start the engine. If feels like someone had pumpped my brake pedal few times when engine was off. In order to get the car going I had to apply additional pressure to my brake pedal just enough to start the engine. Once the car start the brake predal releases the pressure and everything went back to normal. I’ve tried very careful next few days not to apply the brake pedal after shutting the car off and since then it did not duplicate the exact issue, however, I can feel each time when trying to start the car again in the morning or after work I notice I can only apply about about 1 inch of pedal vs before maybe close to 2 inchs? This is my assumption and hopefully I explained it enough anyone can understand. Brake was replaced and bleed around a year ago and most of my commute are 90% freeway so not much of brake use.

Shaolin

Old 09-15-16, 01:03 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not really certain but I would guess a seized caliper that doesn't let you press down until brake boosting kicks in with engine start?
Old 09-15-16, 01:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Sounds like a small leak in in the PB vacuum storage canister.

Lou
Old 09-15-16, 04:52 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It's the phantom stiff-brake issue. Many have posted about the "problem", but none have pinpointed a fix. Has happened to me less than a handful of times in 5yrs. The first time it happened it did freak me out. But just needed to stomp on the brake a bit more than normal, and sure enough the car was able to start and the brakes functioned just fine.
Old 09-16-16, 06:04 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same issue before but never figured out what caused it. The brakes are in good working condition but every now and then, first thing in the morning it would be really stiff to push the pedal to start the car. It seems to have kind of fixed itself though because I haven't noticed it in quite a while.
Old 09-16-16, 11:04 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What Lou said, quite a few have this issue, doesn't seem to cause any problems other than being slightly annoying in the morning.
Old 12-03-16, 10:01 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nks979
What Lou said, quite a few have this issue, doesn't seem to cause any problems other than being slightly annoying in the morning.
Indeed! Mine does in the morning to work and does it again in the afternoon when coming back from work.

I did brake flush and issue still there so check that one out
Old 12-03-16, 11:11 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm almost sure this is due to a bleed down of vacuum in the brake booster. My '08 350 has done this all the time since I purchased it used in Nov 2015.
I thought about replacing the grommet and/or check valve for the vacuum tube on the brake booster to see if that made any change.

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger that does the same exact thing. But, I also have a 2016 Kia Minivan and that brake pedal always feels normal.

Last edited by Soledad; 12-03-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-03-16, 02:55 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Brake booster? not sure what it does but i think this is the part you're referring to? looks like a part from under the hood..

http://parts.autonationtoyotasouthau...=brake-booster

Originally Posted by Soledad
I'm almost sure this is due to a bleed down of vacuum in the brake booster. My '08 350 has done this all the time since I purchased it used in Nov 2015.
I thought about replacing the grommet and/or check valve for the vacuum tube on the brake booster to see if that made any change.

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger that does the same exact thing. But, I also have a 2016 Kia Minivan and that brake pedal always feels normal.
Old 12-03-16, 02:56 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct. And that small L shaped tube coming out of the top of it is the check valve and rubber grommet (#9 and #10 in the other picture).
And so my thought is that #9 and/or #10 are causing a premature bleed off of vacuum from the booster. OR....this is all just very normal
for these older Lexus models.

Last edited by Soledad; 12-03-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 06:03 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Any idea how to check? i look at under the hood now and that thing is tucked behind and doesn't look like easy to replace...

Originally Posted by Soledad
Correct. And that small L shaped tube coming out of the top of it is the check valve and rubber grommet (#9 and #10 in the other picture).
And so my thought is that #9 and/or #10 are causing a premature bleed off of vacuum from the booster. OR....this is all just very normal
for these older Lexus models.
Old 12-03-16, 07:04 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

To relieve the pressure so you can start the car, open a wheel cylinder bleeder while someone depresses the brake pedal. Once it bottoms out have them hold it to the floor while you tighten the bleeder valve. Then have them start the car while the pedal is depressed.
Old 12-03-16, 07:10 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

This was happening with my 2012 ISF. It would occur whenever I did not drive my car for a few days. After it has been sitting for a few days the brake pedal would be very stiff and i would have to press with a significant amount of force before the car would detect that the pedal has been depressed and allow the start button to do its thing I took it to the dealer a couple of times but they could never find anything wrong. Finally I told them to keep the car for a few days and don't start it until after a couple of days. They were finally able to recreate the problem. They replaced the brake booster and I have never had the problem again. I was lucky because my car was still under full warranty.
Old 12-03-16, 07:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
To relieve the pressure so you can start the car, open a wheel cylinder bleeder while someone depresses the brake pedal. Once it bottoms out have them hold it to the floor while you tighten the bleeder valve. Then have them start the car while the pedal is depressed.
You really don't want to do this. The problem is not fluid related, it's booster related. Pumping out fluid will just allow for air to get into the master cylinder.

Lou
Old 12-03-16, 08:27 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Lucky indeed. Online listed close to $600 before labor and it fixed your problem!!!

Originally Posted by newgsman
This was happening with my 2012 ISF. It would occur whenever I did not drive my car for a few days. After it has been sitting for a few days the brake pedal would be very stiff and i would have to press with a significant amount of force before the car would detect that the pedal has been depressed and allow the start button to do its thing I took it to the dealer a couple of times but they could never find anything wrong. Finally I told them to keep the car for a few days and don't start it until after a couple of days. They were finally able to recreate the problem. They replaced the brake booster and I have never had the problem again. I was lucky because my car was still under full warranty.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal possible stuck when starting the car / 2006 IS 350