IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does anyone knows what caused that on my spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 12:46 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Does anyone knows what caused that on my spark plug?

As the title says i had a chec VSC and 2 of my spark plugs were like this
Old 08-26-16, 12:59 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Jeff I need your help on this!
Unfortunatelly I wasn't lucky enough to change the spark plugs and go.When I did ,the engine still didn't work properly and Unfortunatelly the broken part that missing from the spark plug ruined one of my cylinders.I m very sad because I take good care of my car.I bought the supercharger from a friend and he never had any problem with it.I drove my car hard because I really like the supercharger sound and bov and I wasn't expecting something like this to happen.I have a spare low mile engine in my garage but I m know thinking if I shoul install the LMS kit back on or not!Was it the AEM meth kit that caused this on the spark plug?My friend who had it never had a problem with his spark plugs
Old 08-26-16, 01:21 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you using an a/f gauge of some sort? This could be from a lean condition that resulted in detonation... The meth kit should help reduce the combustion chamber temp, which would help prevent detonation, so that should not be the problem.
Old 08-26-16, 01:49 PM
PAVGR
Racer

I don't use any a/f gauge or anything else.My buddy had a PLX but never saw any strange numbers on so he told me to install it as is and I won't have a problem.The only thing I don't know is if the methanol have to be replaced because my buddy had it for 3 years and I used it too.
Old 08-26-16, 02:08 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Sorry for my English guys what I mean is I don't know how long methanol last.My buddy had it for 3 years sitting in his garage and he gave it to me with everything else.The only thing that I don't have same as he had in his set up is an exchast.I don't like the noise so didn't get his exchast.The car was running great but 2 months ago made a small stall at 5000 rpm.My mechanic told me that it may be the spark plugs but told me to go for my summer vacations and we would change them after I got back.On my second trip the VSC came on but the car were still running great but when I returned it got worse!The engine shaked at low rpm s and when I went over 100 km it was running great again.
I really liked the extra power and all the compliments from everyone about the fantastic sound of the sc.I don't want to install the new engine without it but I m afraid if I have the same issues again!What should I do
Old 08-26-16, 02:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

It's possible that the spark plug cracked (from being dropped or whatever), but to me it looks most likely that it got really hot and melted, likely from a lean condition.

Without any AFR logs or EGT information, it would be quite difficult to know exactly what caused it to run lean. It sounds like you're using methanol injection to help with with lack of fuel from the stock tuning, perhaps there was an issue with that system?

Jeff
Old 08-26-16, 08:52 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Thank you Jeff for the reply.My buddy can't believe this happened to me.He never had any problems with it that's the reason I got the kit from the first place.I know I like how the car drove with the sc but I m not sure I will ever be sure that everything is working great again when I drive it.
Old 08-27-16, 07:14 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Lean condition, likely to be fuel and tune related.
Old 08-27-16, 02:35 PM
PAVGR
Racer

I don't know what to change .I knew that there wasn't a tune for our car but I also new no one ever had a problem with the sc set up.Should I install the kit to my new engine or not?What would you do ?
Old 08-27-16, 07:14 PM
Swish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bro never ever run F/I without a wideband installed!! EVER!! and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. allows you to see the issue coming before the issue sees you.
However it looks does look like temps got a little hot.
Old 08-28-16, 06:24 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

F/I without a tune is a no no... There are some tuning options out now, If I were installing a kit on my new engine, I would reach out to them.

The stock ECU doesn't compensate enough for fuel and spark. Ticking time bomb..
Old 08-28-16, 01:38 PM
PAVGR
Racer

I wasn't the first who did it guys!Heyarms have the LMS kit also and many others have them without (sharing)any problem.The only diference I have with my friends set up is that I don't have an exchast!Do you think it makes so much diference not having exchast on a sc kit?How does my car got lean and my buddy's plx showed 11:1 at full speed.I will defenatelly fix my car but I want your opinion on whether I should install the sc kit or not.
Old 08-28-16, 05:26 PM
Swish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PAVGR
I wasn't the first who did it guys!Heyarms have the LMS kit also and many others have them without (sharing)any problem.The only diference I have with my friends set up is that I don't have an exchast!Do you think it makes so much diference not having exchast on a sc kit?How does my car got lean and my buddy's plx showed 11:1 at full speed.I will defenatelly fix my car but I want your opinion on whether I should install the sc kit or not.
you don't know how you well your AFR is doing compared to your friends. Yes it may have worked fine on his and he got lucky but something in your car could be failing or not up to the task like his was. Each car is different bro. We can both have 09 is350 and I guarantee you that they would still run different. could be something as small as a partially clogged injector to a dirty MAF you never know.
Old 08-28-16, 09:08 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Τhanks for the reply buddy .Your opinion is not to install the sc kit back on the car and leave it as is?
Old 08-29-16, 04:48 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PAVGR
Τhanks for the reply buddy .Your opinion is not to install the sc kit back on the car and leave it as is?
Dude, why don't you reach out to a tuning source before installing it.... We've been sitting here telling you it's not a good idea.. You're motor though, I really don't care..

But look at it like this, your stock engine asks for X amount of fuel, the supercharger needs more than X. You're pushing more air into your engine with the same amount of fuel, that causes a lean condition..

Quick Reply: Does anyone knows what caused that on my spark plug?