IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does anyone knows what caused that on my spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 08:25 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

even HKS S/C kit for IS350 need f con to work... so like everyone said LMS kit technically does need a tune to make the engine work reliable together.. people that aren't running tune on S/C LMS kit is risking the engine for future problems... like everyone else is saying go find RR racing or overtune and if u have the money novel lol to get a ecu tune...
Old 08-29-16, 12:25 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys!I know what is the right thing to do but I didn't enjoy the car as much as I wanted and I really liked the car sound with the sc.My friend keep saying it's the OEM exchast fault that the car got lean.He had a full exchast and he believes that the lamda censors were reading more gage so the ECU was sending more mixture than mine with stock exchast.There are others who says that exchast wasn't the problem.I don't know what to believe.I have to make the dissicion until Saturday that's why I m asking for your opinion.Thank you anyway
Old 08-29-16, 03:11 PM
Swish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like HankMoody said, you need to get it tuned but for the love of GOD get a wideband installed. even if you get it tuned still get one
Old 08-29-16, 07:45 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow so much misinformation in here...

first off. Sorry to hear your car ran into issues. How cold does it get in Greece? You could have embrittlement in the spark plug material if they're going from very cold to very hot POSSIBLY. How old were your plugs? You know I have same kit too, been running since 2012 no problems. I also ran no methanol for a year or two just fine at ~7psi.

now to the bad information here...

the 2IS (and other new model Lexus) are not your old school cars and ECU's. It is perfectly fine to boost up to ~7.5psi on the stock ECU. The stock ecu corrects just fine for the additional air. I also ran 3.5 years with no wideband... big deal. These engines are well documented under boost. This is good for is250 and is350 and is proven with data logging in... 2008/2009 era.

The HKS supercharger kit that i installed on my fiancées car we opted to not install the fcon; the fcon is not necessary to run this kit. There are also VERY few tuners across the US able to tune it. all these closet tuners that came out this year also do not have the ability to send him a tune and flying a tuner out to gain ~10-15whp and a minimal amount of "safety" to his boost setup is not worth it. I contemplated running MAPECU3 for a while but the ~$2k for MAPECU3, the pain to install and tuning it is also not worth it on cars that do not have high horsepower potentials

Last edited by heyarms; 08-29-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 09:50 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Thank you for the reply Heyarms.I really wanted to see you post since we have the same kit.My friend i bought the kit from says the same things but i cant understand why this happened to me.The only thing i havent done is to install exchast.The weather in Greece in summer is really hot.My spark plugs had 5000miles on when i installed the kit.I never had a VSC check until my summer trips.The obd reader showed 4 cylinders misfire
Old 08-30-16, 08:15 AM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

hey PAVGR sorry for your loss, but as everyone here is telling you. you can run your Supercharger kit on your new engine but please be smart this time and get a proper Tune from RR-Racing since they have a valid tuning solution for a supercharge kit as they are running a SC on their track ISF. sure you may be spending more this time around but its the smart thing to do when you run F.I. and you might want to think about freeing up some exhaust gasses like getting a full Catback exhaust to compensate for the extra pressure going through your exhaust system. more F.I going through that intake is going to need more flow on the Exhaust side my friend. so NEW ENGINE+SuperCharger+RR-Racing Tune+A/F Gauge= safe engine life and performance and lots of proper fun. Hope all works out for you.
Old 08-30-16, 08:34 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

None of these small tuners have the ability to offer a tune for a boosted 2IS without having your specific car at their shop (unless they were to travel to you). A tune is completely unnecessary as well with his setup. Exhaust/headers are a good idea though to more quickly rid the engine of excess exhaust gas. If Pepos was running with only an axle back though, i would consider this a fluke.
Old 08-30-16, 09:18 AM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

well not to argue with you Heyarms but i beg the differ. any forced induction Vehicle requires a proper tune. only because LMS intended to produce this kit without offering a proper ECU workaround like a reputable HKS SC kit with piggyback equipment to compensate for A/F changes in the system. doesnt mean LMS S/C was built to last or not cause harm to our Lexus's, as said by many on these forums about TOYOTA/LEXUS Vehicle being able to retune itself to compensate for any changes but that change is limited if not properly tuned. RR-Racing has remote tune handheld system that allow for autoLog of your driving habits and they'll adjust your tune from set results. But like you said tuning would be limited if not on a proper dyno. but i can assure you they can make changes to A/F parameters to make your SC run better
Old 08-30-16, 01:34 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Thank you all guys for spending time answering to me.It s very bad feeling to loose something you love so much.I met my friend Pepos today and I ve decided to put everything on but I ll be very carefull on summer season because the temperatures in Greece are to high!The car was running great all winter and never had any check or anything else.I should be more carefull on my summer trips because I pushed it very hard.I m not going to make the same mistake this time.I ve also order AEM Air fuel gauge to install this time and for starters I ll remove my secondary cats.My buddy Pepos also gave me some high flow cats to install on my OEM headers.He thinks it will help the car a lot.If the car is showing 11,3 on the plx at full I dont think it needs a tune.I don't know what happened to mine I will send pictures when I open the engine.
Thank you all again
Old 08-30-16, 04:42 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Any particular reason that you are keeping OEM headers?
Old 08-30-16, 09:29 PM
PAVGR
Racer

I dont like noise on the car .I ve heard my buddys car on his full exchast and i dont like it.
Old 09-06-16, 12:53 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Does anyone knows what caused that on my spark plug?-image.jpegSo guys I install the new engine on Saturday.
Old 09-06-16, 01:10 PM
PAVGR
Racer

The mechanic told me that everything is working great.I drove the car yesterday and didn't floor it at all.In fact I drove it just under 3000 rpm.It drove fine but after half an hour check VSC came on.I don't know yet what is it but I m sure it's not the sc that caused it.I changed the spark plugs.Everything looked perfect but it's not.I think I sensed a little sake from the engine as it happened when the plugs were as it was in the picture.The difference is the car engine doesn't sake at stop light.I m afraid to move the car again before I see what code is it this time.I m afraid it will show misfire again and I don't know what to change now!Any thoughts guys?Jeff?
Old 09-10-16, 09:27 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Is just VSC on, or is the CEL on also? Check the codes, that's the best place to start.

My guess would be a connector isn't connected all the way or similar, but who knows until you know what the code is.

Jeff
Old 09-10-16, 01:19 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Is just VSC on, or is the CEL on also? Check the codes, that's the best place to start.

My guess would be a connector isn't connected all the way or similar, but who knows until you know what the code is.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff.The diagnostic showed bank1 pro catalytic.Tha mechanic erased it and told me that if it comes back on we will change it.Do you think that what happened to my engine was caused from not having an exchast?I went to many exchast shops and everyone told me that there s no way the engine ruined from the stock exchast.I will install the AEM air fuel gauge this week And I ll see.The mechanic had the diagnostic cd on his laptop and didn't see anything strange while driving me he car.I wish I ll be more lucky this time

Quick Reply: Does anyone knows what caused that on my spark plug?