IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 07:03 AM
GiantCow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC2
The notice does seem to include model year 2012. https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...lah2alofaq.pdf

Here is where I found that PDF: https://www.lexus.com/recall
Ah I see, thanks. Only read the article on the first page.
Old 04-20-17, 12:58 PM
ISlv350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrta
I live in MA, closest dealership for me was Manchester NH. They did mine and I have not had an issue.
had mine done this week and everything went great. Had it done at Watertown lexus. It only took about 4 hrs. Full take of gas and full detail. Not to mention the rc350 for the day👍👍
the service guy told me they have a new protocol which doesn't include removing the dash, only the vents and glovebox. That made me feel a lot better and hopefully anyone else that's worried.
Old 04-20-17, 07:06 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISlv350
had mine done this week and everything went great. Had it done at Watertown lexus. It only took about 4 hrs. Full take of gas and full detail. Not to mention the rc350 for the day👍👍
the service guy told me they have a new protocol which doesn't include removing the dash, only the vents and glovebox. That made me feel a lot better and hopefully anyone else that's worried.
perfect. Thank you!
Old 04-21-17, 04:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mine was done the same way. A little scuff I saw that I can clean up.
Old 04-21-17, 10:24 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

got mine changed like 2 weeks ago at lexus of orlando, got my tank filled from empty still got my ****ty dash though
Old 04-22-17, 01:17 PM
TheAnhDy
Driver School Candidate

I dropped off my car at Lexus of Woodland Hills for the airbag recall on Tuesday, 4/18/17. I picked up my car on Thursday, 4/20/17. I took the car to get a smog check because I'm going to sell the car to my best friend, the car passed smog. I drove the car home. Later that night, I went out to the car and the battery was completely dead. I couldn't even jump start it; I connected a volt meter and it read 0.00. This failed battery was less than a year old so O'Reilley Auto Parts replaced it under warranty. I installed a brand new battery that same night on Thursday and it started up fine. I didn't use the car on Friday. Saturday morning the car is completely dead again with the brand new battery. I called Lexus of Woodland Hills to ask if they'd removed my dashboard to replace the airbag. Maybe they accidentally disconnected any electrical wires that would cause my battery to keep draining? The dealer denied removing my dashboard, they stated that they replaced the airbag through the glove box. They recommend that I should get my alternator replaced. They quoted me $449 for the alternator and a total of $1500 for parts and labor. If it is indeed my alternator, I can get a new alternator for $169 with lifetime warranty and do it myself. I'm working this weekend so I don't have time to do my own diagnostic to figure out the problem. What do you guys think?
Old 04-22-17, 02:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAnhDy
I dropped off my car at Lexus of Woodland Hills for the airbag recall on Tuesday, 4/18/17. I picked up my car on Thursday, 4/20/17. I took the car to get a smog check because I'm going to sell the car to my best friend, the car passed smog. I drove the car home. Later that night, I went out to the car and the battery was completely dead. I couldn't even jump start it; I connected a volt meter and it read 0.00. This failed battery was less than a year old so O'Reilley Auto Parts replaced it under warranty. I installed a brand new battery that same night on Thursday and it started up fine. I didn't use the car on Friday. Saturday morning the car is completely dead again with the brand new battery. I called Lexus of Woodland Hills to ask if they'd removed my dashboard to replace the airbag. Maybe they accidentally disconnected any electrical wires that would cause my battery to keep draining? The dealer denied removing my dashboard, they stated that they replaced the airbag through the glove box. They recommend that I should get my alternator replaced. They quoted me $449 for the alternator and a total of $1500 for parts and labor. If it is indeed my alternator, I can get a new alternator for $169 with lifetime warranty and do it myself. I'm working this weekend so I don't have time to do my own diagnostic to figure out the problem. What do you guys think?

I had a similar thing happen last year. Completely dead battery at random times and it was only a year old. After getting opinions and quotes from multiple places, it turned out to be loose battery terminals or a little corrosion on them. Check those first. My mechanic used a roughed up metal file to clean them and tighten them back down. AAA and Pep Boys both missed seeing that on three jump starts.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 04-22-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 03:26 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not unusual for the alternator to fail and take the battery down with it. I installed a new alternator, new battery and all is well. Good luck.
Old 05-09-17, 12:22 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Took the car in yesterday to Lexus of Seattle in Lynnwood for the airbag recall. Dropped it off at 9am and drove away in a loaner RX350. They called me at 1pm saying it was done and did mention that I have the start of a bad water pump and my rear diff fluid needs to be changed soon. When I picked it up I couldn't even tell the car had been touched other than the fact it was washed and vacuumed and my cup holder had a few doc appt cards and stickers for piercings from the previous owner. Not sure how they got behind the dash. Anyway, I thought 4 hours for the airbag replacement is pretty quick. They must have done enough of them now to knock them out fast.
Old 05-09-17, 12:49 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine's going in Thursday for both the front dash replacement and airbag recall. Excited
Old 05-10-17, 08:22 PM
Bkhectic
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is the 2012 IS 250/350 on this recall? I checked with my vin and it says that I don't have any.
Old 05-10-17, 08:27 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkhectic
So is the 2012 IS 250/350 on this recall? I checked with my vin and it says that I don't have any.
Same here. Literally the same thing happened to me the other and now I am wondering if they were mistaken or is 2012 not a problem year???
Old 05-11-17, 08:54 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I got my air bag replacement two weeks ago, and now it rattles every where i took the car back and they tried to fix it, and it is still rattle
Old 05-11-17, 12:14 PM
TraceZ
Driver School Candidate

I just checked the Lexus driver's website and it says there are no active recalls for my 2011.
Old 05-11-17, 02:45 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I just checked the Lexus driver's website and it says there are no active recalls for my 2011.
Don't trust it, they had nothing listed for my car and I'm in the carbon buildup group.. Had I known a year ago, I would have taken in it, now I might have to do it myself as the limit us 9 years and my car was made in Nov '07 They sometimed just do a service bulletin, that never lists on recall sites

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.