IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

White smoke from under hood--possible coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 06:06 PM
WTBIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke from under hood--possible coolant leak?

Hello,

I have a 06 IS350 that i've owned since Dec 2011. I dont drive it much, have done oil changes every 2.5k miles but i havent done any major maintenance yet. About a week and a half ago i got some recall fixes dont. One was the cam sprockets and i think the other was a fuel line.

Today while driving in ~80 degree weather i noticed white smoke coming out from under the hood, seemed to come from the driver side. I havent worked on cars and havent had cars with issues in over 10 years so i cant recall what the smoke smelled like. I dont think it was oil but i'm not 100% sure that its coolant either. Although there's not much else that it could be unless it was burning plastic or underplastic).

Checked my fluid levels and oil was good, coolant reservoir looked low so i filled that up a bit. Looked under the car and didnt see any leaks forming after the car had been sitting for an hour. Looking at the undercarriage and there may be some fluid collecting on the rear part of the front crossmember (i think thats what it was, again i'm a bit out of practice). While i was driving my temps stayed where they have always been which is about 2-3 ticks below half.

Going to check again tomorrow after i've taken it for a drive. But is there anything you guys can suggest that i also watch out for? Also worse case i have to swap out the headgasket can anyone show me where i can get a free legit copy of a 06 IS350 FSM? or at least just the pages that deal with head gasket swaps? Back when i was into cars i did quite a bit of my own work on my FD3S and my Honda CRX. Plugs (on an FD its a pain), basic aftermarket installs, suspension, engine swap (on the CRX) and i even took apart and put together an Integra GSR motor all by myself and with the aid of an FSM. I also pieced together my own turbo setup, test fitted it, installed it and managed not to blow up the motor either. So yah i know how to turn a wrench. But since i'm dealing with an IS350 to be on the safe side since i'd like an FSM or a good set of instructions or a walkthrough/youtube video to follow.

Thank You
Old 05-11-16, 06:52 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no free legit copy of FSM
you can subscribe from toyota for 2 days or do a year subscription from alldatadiy

if you haven't noticed fluid leaking out or missing when you check again, i remember seeing a post earlier from another member with IS350 saying that when the alternator starting to die it will give smoke from the driver side as well. There were a couple cases I believe.

hope that helps
Old 05-12-16, 12:45 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The key will be determining the smell of the smoke and figuring out where it's coming from. OR you can return it to the dealership saying they screwed something up and to fix it.
Old 05-12-16, 06:47 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Run that bad boy and pop the hood. Does it smoke idling? If alternator then the wiring is burning up, bad. If your reservoir is full then, yes, poss electrical. Take off the plastics undercarriage to see leaks. Check all hoses for cracks. Check water pump for leaks. What else guys.....?
How does the car sound at idle? Any odd sounds, whining noise?