Stock Amplifier replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 04:20 PM
DarkRaider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Stock Amplifier replacement

Hi All;

Basically, my audio once in a while doesn't work, after reading all the threads pertaining to the issue, it is an amp issue.

I have an is250 with navigation. If I wanted to buy an aftermarket amp, will it be straight forward to splice the wires, and everything should work? I found a link with someone posting the wires descriptions.

Hence, the questions are:

1) Can I just replace the stock with aftermarket and have no issues

2) what aftermarket amp should I buy.

Please HELP
Old 04-14-16, 01:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

1) Can I just replace the stock with aftermarket and have no issues. No, because the factory amp has MANY more channels that what an aftermarket 4/5 ch amp would have.

2) what aftermarket amp should I buy. If all you want is to get your audio system fully working correctly again, just find a good, working used amp to replace the bad one. Getting an aftermarket one will limit you to the number of speakers it can drive.
Old 04-14-16, 02:10 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll also add to what Gville350 said and if you have OEM navigation the system will not work without the factory amp. My brother learned this the hard way lol.
Old 07-15-16, 08:18 AM
akoster
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
1) Can I just replace the stock with aftermarket and have no issues. No, because the factory amp has MANY more channels that what an aftermarket 4/5 ch amp would have.

2) what aftermarket amp should I buy. If all you want is to get your audio system fully working correctly again, just find a good, working used amp to replace the bad one. Getting an aftermarket one will limit you to the number of speakers it can drive.
Thanks for the heads up. My amp has gone bad so I need to replace it and I was originally looking at getting a 5 channel amp, but I probably won't do that now after seeing this. Also would adding an aftermarket subwoofer with a mono amp cause the navigation to mess up?
Old 07-15-16, 10:58 AM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys above are correct. Replacing the sock amp without replacing the head unit will be tuff. The stock amp handles the processing and volume control. Assuming the stock amp is replaced, you will lose volume control and this is just one of the many challenges. Even if you were to get a sound processor (helix, MS-8, Rockford 360.3 etc) you will still need the stock amp to tap into the signal coming out of the amp.
An option, depending on how much you want to spend, is to get the beat sonic harness, replace the oem head unit, and do a complete system upgrade. This will cost $$$, but in the long run, depending on how much you like music, will be one of the best option.
The following users liked this post:
Cross83 (03-18-23)