Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsa
i didnt know you already bought ss in stock sizes. you ****ed up lol
Why's that? lol
Old 03-21-16, 05:08 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id go with H&R with extended lug bolts. NOT extended studs that go into the hub. I believe the lug bolts are stronger especially if you go with a good company who makes them out of solid material. Its what most use in the VW/Audi scene which is twice as popular then ours. As far as what size to get im not sure. Youll have to find the OEM stud size then add you 15 and 20mm to that.
Old 03-21-16, 08:17 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flektone
Id go with H&R with extended lug bolts. NOT extended studs that go into the hub. I believe the lug bolts are stronger especially if you go with a good company who makes them out of solid material. Its what most use in the VW/Audi scene which is twice as popular then ours. As far as what size to get im not sure. Youll have to find the OEM stud size then add you 15 and 20mm to that.
Extended lug bolts? Never heard of this option haha, can you explain?
Old 03-22-16, 05:53 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lingjinli
Extended lug bolts? Never heard of this option haha, can you explain?
Maybe im not using the proper term. The lug bolts have the head on it where ur socket attaches to. The studs stick in the wheel hub and you have the bolts/lug nuts that screw on top of that. Follow me?
Old 03-22-16, 08:50 AM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Maybe im not using the proper term. The lug bolts have the head on it where ur socket attaches to. The studs stick in the wheel hub and you have the bolts/lug nuts that screw on top of that. Follow me?
Are you using the terms lug nuts and lug bolts interchangeably? If so, how would extended lug nuts work better than extended studs? Maybe some photos may help haha.
Old 03-22-16, 02:08 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Given the stock tire sizes, I want both the front and rear wheels to be flush with the fenders. I've looked around the forum and it seems 15mm for the front and 20mm spacers for the rear will do the job. It also seems Ichiba and H&R are popular choices for spacers. I would like to replace the factory studs with extended studs instead of using studs provided by spacers; APR seems like a popular choice. Has anyone done this to their 2IS? Is there enough space behind both front and rear hubs to insert 15mm and 20mm longer studs?
There is plenty of room to put the extended studs into the hubs, I am currently using 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers with extended studs. Using extended studs is perfectly safe and the preferred way when using spacers... You can not use a lug bolt like vw/audi use, the lug bolts need to screw directly into the hub requiring a threaded hub, lexus does not have threaded hubs.
Old 03-22-16, 02:20 PM
02camryle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with all these confusion, someone should just post pictures of the difference
Old 03-22-16, 08:59 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mike33
There is plenty of room to put the extended studs into the hubs, I am currently using 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers with extended studs. Using extended studs is perfectly safe and the preferred way when using spacers... You can not use a lug bolt like vw/audi use, the lug bolts need to screw directly into the hub requiring a threaded hub, lexus does not have threaded hubs.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I knew that BMW's used lug bolts, so I was a bit confused as to how a Lexus would use them.
Old 03-22-16, 09:51 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Just make sure you use a 10.9 grade stud with a hub/wheel centric spacer and it will be as safe as oem... Here are links to a 15mm and 20mm spacer/extended stud combo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUBCENTRIC-1...9TxHlZ&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUBCENTRIC-2...ZTxHlk&vxp=mtr
Old 03-22-16, 10:47 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Just make sure you use a 10.9 grade stud with a hub/wheel centric spacer and it will be as safe as oem... Here are links to a 15mm and 20mm spacer/extended stud combo:

What exactly is 10.9? Is there something particular about 10.9 grade studs?
Yup, hubcentric is definitely a must.
I've heard some horror stories with ebay spacers, are those any good? The price seems very reasonable.
Old 03-23-16, 05:23 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

If the hubs arent threaded then how do the studs screw in and stay put?
Old 03-23-16, 08:10 AM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

I don't think the IS250 is compatible with lug bolts, only studs.
Old 03-23-16, 01:44 PM
mike33
Intermediate

What exactly is 10.9? Is there something particular about 10.9 grade studs?
Grade 10.9 in a metric application is similar to grade 8 in a SAE application and will provide approximately 150,000 psi of tensile strength... Basically the stud will meet the oe requirements.

They do not screw in... The stud has a "knurl" that has splines on it, the stud is placed through the back of the hub and the splined part is pressed into the hub.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Spacer and Extended Studs Questions | 2006 Lexus IS250-wheel-stud.jpg  

Last edited by mike33; 03-23-16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 06:01 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Grade 10.9 in a metric application is similar to grade 8 in a SAE application and will provide approximately 150,000 psi of tensile strength... Basically the stud will meet the oe requirements.

They do not screw in... The stud has a "knurl" that has splines on it, the stud is placed through the back of the hub and the splined part is pressed into the hub.
Oh ok I didnt know that. I just thought the stud was screwed into the front of the hub. Thanks
Old 03-28-16, 11:29 AM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Ordered both sets
Should be coming in Thursday!

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer and Extended Studs Questions | 2006 Lexus IS250