IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dashboard Chirping Sound - Any Guesses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 02:12 PM
jcdisciple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Chirping Sound - Any Guesses?

Hi Everybody,
I've looked through many posts about chirping noises but didn't see anyone with this one yet! This chirping / ratcheting sound is almost constant though most noticeable at about 20-40 mph before the engine sound drowns it out. If you take your foot off the gas pedal, it stutters then goes away until you tap the gas again - then immediately turns back on. It seems to be loudest from inside the cabin - not outside under the hood. It seems to be getting louder as the weather is getting colder and drier. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago but the sound was faint that day (warm, damp day) and the tech couldn't hear it at all :/ Now that it's gotten worse, I'll drive back down to the dealer but wanted to check here as well. Any help / suggestions would be awesome.

Here is a link to the video of the sound coming and going as I let off the gas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWT0...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!
Erik

Last edited by jcdisciple; 01-10-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 07:37 AM
KIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's crazy. Definitely something electric. And you're sure it's coming from the steering wheel? Hard to hear in the video, I had to listen several times. I've noticed the sound of the nav system making similar noises. (I'm assuming hard drive) It does sound like the the cd player makes. Do you have any other symptoms...fluttering lights when the car is idling...or anything like that? Does it go away or change when the car warms up?
Sorry my friend, not too sure what that could be coming from the steering wheel. Maybe the steering column servos...scary to think that the air bag is in there...it's definitely something electric.

Keep us posted..this is something that hasn't been discussed/discovered before.
Old 01-12-16, 01:46 AM
WORKD250
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't really hear from the video posted but could it possibly be your gauge needles?

Mine make a weird noise when moving kind of a rattle, I confirmed by messing with the rev and speed limit indicator setting.
Old 01-13-16, 03:46 PM
jcdisciple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Now that you mention it, it does sound kind of electrical... I noticed yesterday that my old TV started making a very similar sort of noise so at least we have a system to consider : ) I haven't noticed any other electrical issues with lights our stereo. It happens with and without audio system on, with and without climate system... There is a fuse in the fuse box (kind of big one) marked "noise" but the tech at the dealer was sure that wasn't related to the noise I am hearing. Maybe I'll have them check it anyway Monday since we're thinking electrical, noise, fuses are electrical, this one says "noise", etc. : ) Any other thoughts, please let me know. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-16, 11:10 AM
KIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcdisciple
Thanks guys. Now that you mention it, it does sound kind of electrical... I noticed yesterday that my old TV started making a very similar sort of noise so at least we have a system to consider : ) I haven't noticed any other electrical issues with lights our stereo. It happens with and without audio system on, with and without climate system... There is a fuse in the fuse box (kind of big one) marked "noise" but the tech at the dealer was sure that wasn't related to the noise I am hearing. Maybe I'll have them check it anyway Monday since we're thinking electrical, noise, fuses are electrical, this one says "noise", etc. : ) Any other thoughts, please let me know. Thanks again!
I believe the one marked "noise" isn't a fuse. But something that removes the static noise from the electrical circuit. Might be a good place to start. But have it checked. I was looking at that the other day in my own car and kinda laughed....there's lots of noises I wish had one of those that I could replace to solve the problem. lol

I was wondering how hard it would be to start with finding exactly where it's coming from...going by how faint it is and where you're holding your phone in the video do you think it could be coming from the paddle shift switches? Or is it more in the front towards the hands free and display buttons on the steering wheel...or more towards the gauge cluster and steering column. If it's electrical "noise" a good thing to start with is the grounding in that circuit. But finding the source of the sound may be hardest. Use a stethoscope...or the tech will have one at your dealer/garage...that will help you pin point or at least get real close to the main source.... Finding the source of where the noise is coming from is key. Could be a simple grounding issue. Bad grounding can definitely cause electrical noise in motors/servos/switches and circuitry.

I had a listen in my car today...drove around warmed it up...I don't have any noises like that. Sorry.

Last edited by KIS350; 01-14-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-14-16, 07:16 PM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcdisciple
Hi Everybody,
I've looked through many posts about chirping noises but didn't see anyone with this one yet! This chirping / ratcheting sound is almost constant though most noticeable at about 20-40 mph before the engine sound drowns it out. If you take your foot off the gas pedal, it stutters then goes away until you tap the gas again - then immediately turns back on. It seems to be loudest from inside the cabin - not outside under the hood. It seems to be getting louder as the weather is getting colder and drier. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago but the sound was faint that day (warm, damp day) and the tech couldn't hear it at all :/ Now that it's gotten worse, I'll drive back down to the dealer but wanted to check here as well. Any help / suggestions would be awesome.

Here is a link to the video of the sound coming and going as I let off the gas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWT0...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!
Erik
Lexus wiring...
Old 01-14-16, 08:00 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I've got the same thing. You can hear it when you get on the peddle but it goes away after letting off the peddle. Haven't really went into detail finding the cause of it yet, engine sound or music typically drowns it out. I'll probably have them look inside for any loose grounds or connections whenever my new dash decides to come in.