IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! [No power steering and car won't start]

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 09:43 AM
jay-b
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help! [No power steering and car won't start]

So i was pulling out of my parking spot at work and noticed that the power steering seemed dead, when i pull back into my spot i turned the car off, popped the hood to look for the steering fluild reservoir, i couldnt find it. But thats not the worst part, now my car wont start. Doesn't seem like the battery as everything else turns on fine and the car is trying to crank over (fast clicking noises) Does this sound like an alternator issue or some other electrical issue someone else may have encountered Thanks in advanced for any help.
Old 06-17-15, 10:08 AM
ponteley
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at the serpentine belt.
Is it OK?
Old 06-17-15, 10:35 AM
jay-b
Driver

Belt seems ok, not sure what to look for, but all the belts i saw seemed intact. The car sounds like it wants to start, then goes to the clicking noise, i really hope its just a bad battery. Going to try and get one of my co workers to give me a jump....its just weird that the car started earlier but only the power steering was bad.
Old 06-17-15, 10:55 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a dead battery to me.
Old 06-17-15, 11:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Our cars have electric power steering; no hydraulic pump or fluid.

Battery and/or alternator seem like the reasonable suspects.
Old 06-17-15, 11:01 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our cars do not use hydraulic system for power steering hence no steering fluid/reservoir. Most likely your battery/alternator going bad and do not provide proper power/voltage for the steering sytem to work. Have the battery and alternator check and replace if necessary.
Old 06-17-15, 11:31 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Our cars have electric power steering; no hydraulic pump or fluid.

Battery and/or alternator seem like the reasonable suspects.
Haha +1 no power steering pump.

I would agree, bad battery or alternator.
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (06-26-21)
Old 06-17-15, 06:44 PM
jay-b
Driver

looks like a bad alternator. Got the battery and alternator checked, battery was good. Any good places to get alternators online?
Old 06-17-15, 07:38 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jay-b
looks like a bad alternator. Got the battery and alternator checked, battery was good. Any good places to get alternators online?
What year and model is your car? I would definitely check out RockAuto.com. Prices are hard to beat. I'm assuming you are okay with the car being down for a few days looking for the part online? Beck Arnley or Denso sell for about $150 for my '06 IS350 there........

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[year_1995]=true&ck[mkt_US]=true&ck[mkt_EU]=true&ck[mkt_CA]=true&ck[mkt_MX]=true&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[ID]=9d14f78a84538ce3112d21653ed2c083&ck[idlist]=9d14f78a84538ce3112d21653ed2c083&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=o9j23ru4d43digjpbkojdl5mi4
GrizzlyMan (06-26-21)
Old 06-18-15, 11:17 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Just warning you jay-b, there was another thread I read just recently where the battery tested as good; but the matter was left unresolved UNTIL the battery was actually replaced. Just keep that in mind.

But more than likely, you've got a bad alternator. Replace that first. If you continue to have issues, then source a new battery as well.
Old 06-18-15, 11:30 AM
jay-b
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Just warning you jay-b, there was another thread I read just recently where the battery tested as good; but the matter was left unresolved UNTIL the battery was actually replaced. Just keep that in mind.

But more than likely, you've got a bad alternator. Replace that first. If you continue to have issues, then source a new battery as well.
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered a refurbished alternator from Bap Geon for $112. Hope there are no issues with refurbished alternators, but it does have a 3 year warranty. My car goes in the shop on monday, the tech said he would test my current alternator before replacing it. Keep you guys posted.
Old 06-18-15, 03:21 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this exact problem - battery first died, symptoms included a dead power steering and on/off flickering nav system and dash/cluster. Two replacement batteries didn't fix it - eventually it got so bad the alternator locked up and started smoking, which fortunately happened as I just pulled into Advance Auto Parts. I got a reman alternator from Auto Zone for $160, and the whole swap job took about 4 hours. There is a great guide on CL for changing the alternator if you'd like to do it yourself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-removal.html

Good luck with the repair!
bryceis250 (12-28-18)
Old 06-30-15, 12:17 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Just warning you jay-b, there was another thread I read just recently where the battery tested as good; but the matter was left unresolved UNTIL the battery was actually replaced. Just keep that in mind. But more than likely, you've got a bad alternator. Replace that first. If you continue to have issues, then source a new battery as well.
You got the link to that thread. Having that current issue and I'm on my second reman alternator in three days.
Old 06-30-15, 06:39 AM
jay-b
Driver

Replaced the Alternator and battery last monday and, so far so good. I hope it stays that way. I am almost ready to get rid of the car since I am paying monthly payments and monthly maintenance/ issues.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!
GrizzlyMan (06-26-21)
Old 06-26-21, 04:42 PM
Blkout2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Haha +1 no power steering pump.

I would agree, bad battery or alternator.
I'm having a similar issue. Check engine light and power steering light are on. When I try to start the car the starter spins but nothing else happens. Starter is good battery is good.

Quick Reply: Help! [No power steering and car won't start]