IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 11:01 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eplugplay
Besides the numbers you've provided on a track, in my real world experience I find the Accord much better in the handling department. Now when I say better, I'm not saying that it will do it faster than an IS350 on a track, what I'm referring to is the comfort level when turning or going on long curvy roads. When I drove my IS350 on a daily basis the past 2 years and whenever I come to a long curve, turning at the same speeds as I do now with my Accord felt like my car was going to start skidding with really heavy body roll. Could I have made those turns, yes but would it have felt comfortable, no.

I don't care about the track or numbers of how fast it can go, the only thing I care about is how well and comfortable it actually handles when you do make sharp turns and to me thats the very first thing I've noticed when driving the new Accord.
Then you are confused between "comfort" and "handling". More comfortable is different from better handling.

In handling performance, the gforce figure tells you the limit of cornering and it is a fact that Lexus IS350 has higher gforce figure than your Honda.

When "turning at the same speeds as I do now with my Accord felt like my car was going to start skidding with really heavy body roll" this is completely your feeling with wrong perception of handling and that you have not pushed the IS350 to its limit yet. The IS350 can corner faster than your Honda because it has higher gforce. The Honda Accord will actually start to skid BEFORE IS350 because it has lower gforce figure.

All I'm saying is "Honda Hybrid handles miles better than IS350" is completely misleading statement.
Old 05-18-15, 11:17 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Then you are confused between "comfort" and "handling". More comfortable is different from better handling.

In handling performance, the gforce figure tells you the limit of cornering and it is a fact that Lexus IS350 has higher gforce figure than your Honda.

When "turning at the same speeds as I do now with my Accord felt like my car was going to start skidding with really heavy body roll" this is completely your feeling with wrong perception of handling and that you have not pushed the IS350 to its limit yet. The IS350 can corner faster than your Honda because it has higher gforce. The Honda Accord will actually start to skid BEFORE IS350 because it has lower gforce figure.

All I'm saying is "Honda Hybrid handles miles better than IS350" is completely misleading statement.
Well I'm giving you my personal experience of driving the two cars on a daily basis and to me it still handles alot better meaning I can turn alot faster with much less body roll at the same speeds that I was driving.

I'm sure on the track the IS350 can corner faster at much higher speeds? I'm not sure on this one, all I'm telling you is how I feel driving it every day. I do remember turning out of my neighborhood pretty fast with the IS350 and skidding before but I don't have this issue with the Accord. Especially the long curvy exit where I work down near NASA in Houston, I can curve all the way to the right without any worry (can even go at higher speeds easily without feeling any body roll as to my IS350). Thats one of the things that I've noticed instantly.

You could compare the IS350 to a MX-5 or a Subaru BRZ and make the same claims for the g-force and the faster track times but I would still bet those cars would handle better than the IS350. I'm not knocking down on the IS350 because I don't own it anymore, I still love that car but as far as handling goes and my own personal experience, to me I feel that the Accord handles better on the curves/turns.

Maybe if I had installed the sway bar set on my IS350 then the handling would have been way better?

Can someone chime in on the handling aspects on both cars? Because I know what I feel when driving both cars and not pulling these descriptions out of my ***, lol.

Last edited by eplugplay; 05-18-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 11:50 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have driven both Honda Accord and Lexus IS on the street for many years and on autocross/ track. I can turn in the corner a lot faster with the Lexus IS because of higher g-force. This is not an opinion but a fact. Motor Trend also confirms through their own testing. If you think the Honda can corner faster than the IS350, yeah right, 0.59g is higher than 0.70g. I don't know what else to say.

What happened is that your high performance driving skill is not consistent as well as not up to the par yet and you feel it is easier and safer to push the Honda closer to the limit but not in the Lexus IS. That, however, does not mean the Lexus IS350 handles worse. It is just you don't know how to push it to the limit safely yet.
Old 05-18-15, 12:00 PM
eplugplay
Driver

I have driven both Honda Accord and Lexus IS on the street for many years and on autocross/ track. I can turn in the corner a lot faster with the Lexus IS because of higher g-force. This is not an opinion but a fact. Motor Trend also confirms through their own testing. If you think the Honda can corner faster than the IS350, yeah right, 0.59g is higher than 0.70g. I don't know what else to say.

What happened is that your high performance driving skill is not consistent as well as not up to the par yet and you feel it is easier and safer to push the Honda closer to the limit but not in the Lexus IS. That, however, does not mean the Lexus IS350 handles worse. It is just you don't know how to push it to the limit safely yet.
Perhaps that is the case then and I am in the wrong. Maybe I do feel that its easier to push the accord?

But either way going the same speeds I feel like its much easier to turn without it feeling really heavy and the feeling that the car will not top over. Maybe if I took the mental limitations out of my mind of ruining the gorgeous IS350, I could have felt comfortable making tighter turns.

Maybe it was a coupe that I came from (Civic Coupe) that made me feel this way before I bought the IS350 but the IS350 felt like more of a 4 door sedan (floaty) than a sporty ride to me. Who knows maybe it was the mental limitation that kept me from feeling comfortable this whole 2 years?
Old 05-18-15, 12:49 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it is probably your wrong perception of where the Lexus IS350 limit really is. In stock form, the IS350 does have body roll during turn and that sometimes leads to wrong perception that it reaches the limit of cornering. In fact, you can go a bit faster before it spins out. The IS350 particularly has crazy aggressive 1st and 2nd gear which go from 0 to like 60MPH or so. We usually corner less than 60 MPH. Because of the aggressive gearing, it is not easy to control the IS350 beast in 1st or 2nd gear during hard cornering. With a little bit harder touch of the pedal, you can spin out. Therefore finding that exact limit seems harder. In the Honda case where you have more conservative gearing (more comfortable), it is easier to modulate the gas pedal without overdriving or spinning out and hence easier to reach the limit.

I personally drives the IS350 very hard and a lot of times on autocross, I end up power-oversteer drifting tearing up my tires. It is very, very fun to drive the IS350 and it is a monster once you push it hard. I don't have that kind of fun with my previous Honda Accord in the same autocross.

Nonetheless, the IS250 is easier to control the rear wheels from spinning vs. the IS350. It always feel more dangerous driving the IS350 than the IS250 and may be that kind of perception lead you feel like other cars handle better than the IS350 but that is just a wrong perception. The fact is still that IS350 handles very good if you know how to tame the beast.

Anyways, go enjoy your quiet and comfortable Honda Hybrid ride but don't tell everyone it handles miles better than the Lexus IS350 before someone laughs at you.

Last edited by FSportIS; 05-18-15 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 08:34 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Its been 2 weeks since I've had my Accord Hybrid and its been wonderful. Last MPG that I've got was 57! On average I was getting 47 MPG just as advertised and alot of the times 53-57MPG.

Anyway, sadly my car was flooded this week from the huge storm that passed by here in Houston TX. An adjuster will come by to inspect my vehicle but the water has submerged just above my seats. Does anyone know if it will be a total loss and he/she would write me a check?
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015-unnamed.jpg   Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015-centerconsole.jpg   Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015-frontseat.jpg   Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015-backseat.jpg   Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015-trunk.jpg  

Old 05-29-15, 09:05 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Its been 2 weeks since I've had my Accord Hybrid and its been wonderful. Last MPG that I've got was 57! On average I was getting 47 MPG just as advertised and alot of the times 53-57MPG.

Anyway, sadly my car was flooded this week from the huge storm that passed by here in Houston TX. An adjuster will come by to inspect my vehicle but the water has submerged just above my seats. Does anyone know if it will be a total loss and he/she would write me a check?
Holy crap!!!!!

Yes....flooding will result in a total loss.

I'm sorry to hear of this news! Hopefully your insurance company will take care of you quickly so you can get another one!
Old 05-29-15, 10:56 AM
jennie
Pole Position

I would do everything in my power to get it written off. Hopefully they'll do it without too much trouble. Is your house flooded too? Hope you're okay. I have family in Houston and the pictures they sent me are just
Old 05-29-15, 12:02 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by jennie
I would do everything in my power to get it written off. Hopefully they'll do it without too much trouble. Is your house flooded too? Hope you're okay. I have family in Houston and the pictures they sent me are just
No my townhouse was ok but the parking garage was flooded but thanks for the concern.

Yea I'm going to try to do whatever it takes to get it written off but I'm not sure if I even have the power to do so. Especially as this is an electric car, I would think that it will cost too much to repair to its original condition (only 2 weeks old).

Its crazy that this happened and maybe its fate that I traded my IS350 just before this incident. At least an IS350 was saved, lol.

One thing to note, my neighbor had a 5 month old Mercedes AMG SLK55 with 4k miles on it that was ruined as well and the car wouldn't start. I helped him push his car when the tow truck arrived, it was sad.
Old 05-30-15, 03:28 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

It sucks to see you sell the IS350 to buy the Honda.
It sucks more to see you claim the Honda handles miles better than the IS350.
Now it sucks even more to see your brand new Honda being damaged by flooding.
It sucks even more and more when CA has serious drought while you guys have flooding.

I hope you and your family are ok and your insurance company pay it for you. Best wishes to you guys from CA.
Old 06-02-15, 06:11 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Update: So the adjuster came to look at my car yesterday and declared it a "borderline total loss", although he recommended and is pushing towards a total loss as the water got into the air filter and engine but will depend on his supervisor's answer.

After seeing all the electrical components of the Hybrid I'm thinking of swaying away from it and decided to get a different car, lol. I went to go test drive the Acura TLX 4Cyl model yesterday and just fell in love with it. It was so smooth to drive as well as very fun. The jewel LED headlights look very cool and the car is essentially an Accord but luxuried up. Also the 24-35 mpg is not bad either.

Update: its a total loss! Hopefully I can get close to what I paid for and look around for more options.

Last edited by eplugplay; 06-02-15 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-07-15, 06:22 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If money isn't an issue look at your financial situation. Compare and contrast the pros and cons along the lines of financial concerns of the hybrid Accord. You will be giving up the luxury of the Lexus for another brand that is known for reliability. How much will you really save? Is it worth it? It's an easy answer for me because hybrid systems add weight, increase stopping distance, reduce the fun factor of driving with said weight gain.

If you are only going to keep the car for a few years and trade up again I'll save you some major money. Go buy a 454 pick up truck that gets 7mpg around town and 10mpg on the highway. You can find them for as low as $4,000. The cost in fuel won't make a difference because it's only a few years and the savings is astronomical compared to the price of a new hybrid accord. This might seem like a bad argument but it gets my point across. The true cost of ownership seems like what you should be looking at. Hybrids in my opinion are the biggest got-cha's in our time. Their non hybrid counterparts don't get that much worse gas mileage than the hybrids. The cost difference is substantial. I read an article about the payback on a civic hybrid being 14 years. Now how long are you going to keep this new car? If it's only a few years your depreciation is money out the window and the real winner on the fuel savings is going to be the guy who steps in and buys your used car at a fraction of the new car price.

Another flip side to the hybrid cars. The payback is not in a few bucks less at the pump but YEARS in ownership. For those that are dead determined to make a hybrid work in the name of cost savings there is another got-ya awaiting for them! When their little green battery goes bad a replacement cost is $10,000.

Save your money and drive your Lexus. It's not even 1/4 of the way broken in.
Old 06-07-15, 09:12 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the Lexus is almost a 10 year old design so it would not really be considered luxury anymore as all the amenities have gone down as standard features in many cheaper (MRSP) cars.
Old 09-29-16, 11:55 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

It is getting a bit funny when you keep repeating Honda Hybrid handles better, and even "miles better than" Lexus IS350. It is getting to a point where your blind obsession with the Hybrid leading to misleading statement. A Honda Hybrid in NO WAY handles better than Lexus IS350. In fact, the Lexus IS350 DESTROYS Honda Hybrid in every performance aspect: Acceleration, braking and cornering! 0.70 G vs 0.59 G and 26.3 seconds vs. 28.1 seconds are BIG DIFFERENCEs in figure eight measures. IS350 DESTROYS the Honda Hybrid in cornering and this is a fact!

The two cars are belonging to different categories. IS350 is in the sport sedan segment while the Honda Hybrid is more a family oriented car where it is not made for performance but more for comfort. Claiming Honda Hybrid handles better than IS350 is just...ridiculous.

I have also driven both cars and even autocross/track the IS350 several times.

I currently can't find the figures for 2nd generation IS but I know that the 2nd generation IS is even better than the 3rd generation in term of handling. May be someone can chime in.

Anyways, I hope these information clear up your wrong opinion.

2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport
BASE PRICE $40,360
PRICE AS TESTED $47,765
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front-engine, RWD, 5-pass, 4-door sedan
ENGINE 3.5L/306-hp/277-lb-ft DOHC 24-valve V-6
TRANSMISSION 8-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 3797 lb (54/46%)
WHEELBASE 110.2 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 183.7 x 71.3 x 56.3 in
0-60 MPH 5.5 sec
QUARTER MILE 14.0 sec @ 98.5 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 114 ft

LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.86 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 26.3 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 19/28 mpg
ENERGY CONS., CITY/HWY 177/120 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS 0.87 lb/mile

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3aVZZnodJ

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
BASE PRICE $35,695
PRICE AS TESTED $35,695
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front-engine, FWD, 5-pass, 4-door sedan
ENGINE 2.0L/141-hp/122-lb-ft Atkinson-cycle DOHC 16-valve I-4 plus 166-hp/226-lb-ft electric motor; 196 hp comb
TRANSMISSION Cont. variable auto
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 3535 lb (59/41%)
WHEELBASE 109.3 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 192.2 x 72.8 x 57.5 in
0-60 MPH 7.1 sec
QUARTER MILE 15.6 sec @ 90.0 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 118 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.80 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 28.1 sec @ 0.59 g (avg)

EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 50/45 mpg
ENERGY CONS., CITY/HWY 67/75 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS 0.41 lb/mile

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3aVZjCGHz
He had a 2013, not a 2014.
Old 09-29-16, 10:04 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys,

Just wanted your opinion. My car has reached 42k miles already and fully paid off just after 2 years. I'm curious on what do you guys think about me trading in evenly straight up for a Honda Accord Hybrid 2015 model? I know oil prices are the lowest its been but maintenance cost + less fuel cost + starting at 100 miles on the odometer sounds appealing to me for a daily driver.

Anyone here own a hybrid and don't think its worth it?
I'm sure your mpg will improve but I think your fun level will decease dramatically.....lol
My wife has a 2016 Accord sport but I still rather have my 2011 IS350 F-sport by a mile, its faster and handles better all the way around.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015